Notices

Help me choose wheel size!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2009, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Don't forget that with tires on that clearance will change. With 235s on a 9.5" wheel though, it won't change much. The alignment should cause issues, you'll likely be running more negative camber which will angle the wheel and tire more towards the strut.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only on rears tho because my fronts will have evo x fenders
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Fronts as well, the fenders won't do anything for inboard clearance.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

spacers will =]
Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by brads09lancerGT
A guy I work with put some 18x8.5 w/Pirelli Zero Nero 215/40R18 on his older Civic Si(they barely fit and rubbed hard core and were super stretched) Anyways he was taking a hard corner and the tire actually came off the rim and he crashed. When he got his car to the shop the 1st thing the mechanic(my buddy with tons of experience as a mechanic and taking his Integra to the track) said was the tire was way too stretched for the rim and the force of the high speed corner and the massive stretch caused the wheel and tire to come apart. I hate to say it but I agree with Amby A wide rim with the widest possible tire on it looks way more aggressive to me then a wide tire with a mohawk lookin tire on it. Also in that G35 link, the white Nissan on page 2 with the Takata Green Volk TE-37's w/ 225 on 9.5" rims and 235 on 10.5" rims looks horrible IMO
Man a 215 on a 8.5 is not that strech bro. Have you actually seen a 8.5 rim with 215/40 tires on?? The only reason why they rubbed I'm sure was because he didn't roll his fenders at all or not enough. Either someone didn't put the tire good enough on the rim or he must have been taking that coner very very hard LOL. Like I have said before and I'll say it again, the look is not for everyone, hence your work buddy that obviously doesn't know how to drive with semi strech tires. Some people like it and some people don't, some people can pull it off and some people can't, as well as some people know how to drive with the set up and some people can't. What I've been trying to say from the beggining is that the OPs set up is not aggresive. He should be more than find with his set up. It's going to fit and I can bet that he won't loose any performance at all.

Also about the nissan 240, he is doing something different and original and a lot of people like it. Can I ask you guys something? and please don't take it the wrong way, How long have you guys been into cars and do you research stuff before you put them on your car or do you just try it them and see if they work or look nice?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

215 on an 8.5" wheel is really stretched, I have 215s stock on my 7" wheels. It's a ridiculous fad that isn't about performance, it's about looks.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SlowG07
Man a 215 on a 8.5 is not that strech bro. Have you actually seen a 8.5 rim with 215/40 tires on?? The only reason why they rubbed I'm sure was because he didn't roll his fenders at all or not enough. Either someone didn't put the tire good enough on the rim or he must have been taking that coner very very hard LOL. Like I have said before and I'll say it again, the look is not for everyone, hence your work buddy that obviously doesn't know how to drive with semi strech tires. Some people like it and some people don't, some people can pull it off and some people can't, as well as some people know how to drive with the set up and some people can't. What I've been trying to say from the beggining is that the OPs set up is not aggresive. He should be more than find with his set up. It's going to fit and I can bet that he won't loose any performance at all.

Also about the nissan 240, he is doing something different and original and a lot of people like it. Can I ask you guys something? and please don't take it the wrong way, How long have you guys been into cars and do you research stuff before you put them on your car or do you just try it them and see if they work or look nice?
I seen the 215 on his 8.5 rim everyday for about a month before he crashed it. They were quite stretched, not like nissan 240 but still really stretched. The reason they rubbed so bad is cause on 2000 Si, a 17's are the biggest most people suggest for that car.

I'm very very sure that he will still get a lot of grip on the track and the street.
U said about my work buddys car "he must have been taking that corner very very hard LOL..... hence your work buddy that obviously doesn't know how to drive with semi strech tires." and above u said about the OP's tires with stretch that they will have alot of grip on the street and track. At the track don't u try to go really fast and take corners really hard to get the best lap times that u can? Then from what u said wouldn't stretched tires be bad at the track if u can't take corners "very very hard"? Also how would u drive differently with semi stretch tires over properly fitted tires? Slower and less aggressive?
I have been helping my buddies with modding and tuning their Integras for over 8 years now and working on my old Si. My mechanic buddy I mentioned above has a 450whp+ 92 Integra and his co worker who I also help out alot too has an Integra that he had to get a 140mph license for and had to do a full roll cage for before he was allowed to take it to the local tracks again. He also just got an 05 M5 that we haven't started to work on yet but hes got plans for it. I always research what will work best for my vehicles and not hamper the performance just to look "cool" before I put them on.

Last edited by brads09lancerGT; Nov 1, 2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 07:24 AM

I seen the 215 on his 8.5 rim everyday for about a month before he crashed it. They were quite stretched, not like nissan 240 but still really stretched. The reason they rubbed so bad is cause on 2000 Si, a 17's are the biggest most people suggest for that car.
I have a 1999 Civic Hatchback with 18x8.5 rims and all I had to do was roll the fenders and I never rubbed and I was pretty low with no negative camber either so I don't understand why your friends car did that.

U said about my work buddys car "he must have been taking that corner very very hard LOL..... hence your work buddy that obviously doesn't know how to drive with semi strech tires." and above u said about the OP's tires with stretch that they will have alot of grip on the street and track. At the track don't u try to go really fast and take corners really hard to get the best lap times that u can? Then from what u said wouldn't stretched tires be bad at the track if u can't take corners "very very hard"? Also how would u drive differently with semi stretch tires over properly fitted tires? Slower and less aggressive?
I have been helping my buddies with modding and tuning their Integras for over 8 years now and working on my old Si. My mechanic buddy I mentioned above has a 450whp+ 92 Integra and his co worker who I also help out alot too has an Integra that he had to get a 140mph license for and had to do a full roll cage for before he was allowed to take it to the local tracks again. He also just got an 05 M5 that we haven't started to work on yet but hes got plans for it. I always research what will work best for my vehicles and not hamper the performance just to look "cool" before I put them on.
On my old car I had 20x9.5 +15 and 20x11 +6 with 235/40 front and 275/35 rear and took it to the track and I had no problem doing the turns at high speed and those rears were strech a lot more than the OPs set up. The reason I say that you have to drive different when you have a strech tire, wether is mild or wild, is because the lip of the rim is exposed and if you hit a curve or a pot hole then you might mess up your rims but if you are running a wild strech then you should check your tire pressure everyday just incase but that's only on a wild strech tire.

I know about the 140 mph licenses, the reason I asked is because there's a lot of people out there that just buy stuff because someone else said that it was the best out there. I'm the kind of person that likes to try things for myself and come up with my own results. I have been modding cars and building them for 12 years now. I have gone from a 92 honda civic coupe that was running 12s all motor to a 97 prelude that was a mid to low 12 second car with nitrous. I have also build a S-10 that was bagged and a Infinti G35. I have own 4 hondas, 1 chevy, 1 infiniti, and now my mitsubishi. You obviously have been around cars also and I don't mind talking about cars with you. I just hate, and you know what I mean, talking to someone that barely knows about cars and the only knowledge they know is what the have read or seen on TV or something, you know what I'm saying. That's why I asked.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

I just hate, and you know what I mean, talking to someone that barely knows about cars and the only knowledge they know is what the have read or seen on TV or something, you know what I'm saying. That's why I asked.
I hate that too. It sounds like u've put alot of time and effort into your cars. I wasn't trying to be a d*ck, just trying to understand what u meant.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 05:48 AM

I hate that too. It sounds like u've put alot of time and effort into your cars. I wasn't trying to be a d*ck, just trying to understand what u meant.
Oh I understand, that's why I wanted to explain what I was talking about. I love working on cars, if I could do it all day for a living and make good money I would but right now there is no money in working on cars where I live at.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

I just hate, and you know what I mean, talking to someone that barely knows about cars and the only knowledge they know is what the have read or seen on TV or something, you know what I'm saying. That's why I asked.
There are pitfalls in both relying too much on personal experiences and relying too much on book learning. The problem with the former is, often times you create logical fallacies based on personal experiences. Things that have turned out alright in the past may not replicate in the same way for others in the future.

One of the great ironies in the human experience is the knowledge can be transferred, but wisdom cannot. Engineers have created tire and wheel width charts for a reason. Can you go below or beyond their recommended fitments? Sure. Will it work out okay? Maybe. Anytime you work outside the tolerances provided by people who are paid to determine such things, you are running a risk. Take that for what it is.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

To add to what Ladogaboy said, it's also a matter of determining what you want to accomplish. For a show car, the stretched tire thing is probably a good idea because it's what's popular right now. For a track car, you would think of doing such a thing but you'll make compromises of your own (fitting the biggest possible tire to a wheel, buying wheels based on weight not looks, rolling fenders, etc). For a street car, there are other concerns (ride quality, price, rim protection, etc).
Old Nov 3, 2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
There are pitfalls in both relying too much on personal experiences and relying too much on book learning. The problem with the former is, often times you create logical fallacies based on personal experiences. Things that have turned out alright in the past may not replicate in the same way for others in the future.

One of the great ironies in the human experience is the knowledge can be transferred, but wisdom cannot. Engineers have created tire and wheel width charts for a reason. Can you go below or beyond their recommended fitments? Sure. Will it work out okay? Maybe. Anytime you work outside the tolerances provided by people who are paid to determine such things, you are running a risk. Take that for what it is.
you run a risk with everything you do on a car. Wether is lowering it, tunning the ECU, or even doing a simply oil change. So the way I took what you just wrote is, Why even hook up a car at all. I rely on personal expirience because in all the years that I've been building cars it has yet to fail me. I see what other people's expirience is also but if is something I haven't done yet or something that is new, I usually do a crazy amount of research before I do anything. I usually spend about two to five months just in research before I even come up with a conclusion.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 02:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
Engineers have created tire and wheel width charts for a reason. Can you go below or beyond their recommended fitments? Sure. Will it work out okay? Maybe. Anytime you work outside the tolerances provided by people who are paid to determine such things, you are running a risk. Take that for what it is.
on that note, a 235 tyre has been engineered to fit a wheel width from 8.0" to 9.5"...
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by billyboy1
on that note, a 235 tyre has been engineered to fit a wheel width from 8.0" to 9.5"...
I might be wrong on this, but I believe the stretched comment was referring to a 215 tire on an 8.5" rim. I seem to remember seeing 7.5" as the max recommended for a 215.

Quick Reply: Help me choose wheel size!!!