Notices

Brembo Front BBK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh pish posh I still throw the deuce to scoobys. There are many days I miss the STI, not such a porker as the new machine.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ambystom01
On a Mitsubishi forum, driving a Subaru is akin to having a swastika tattooed on your forehead.
I know. This is not my first Mitsu. I was making another (apparently not funny) Clarkson reference (the Black Stig is my avatar, after all). Wha Wha Wha...
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

oh ok now youre just being daft, dial the holier than thou **** back a couple notches eh.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by MR.Wicked
oh ok now youre just being daft, dial the holier than thou **** back a couple notches eh.
I don't speed excessively (max 10 km/h or 6 MPH over the limit) and I rarely hit above 10 PSI driving to and from work. As I said, if you're legitimately getting brake fade while driving on public roads, you're driving far too aggressively.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Nevermind.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR.Wicked
junk like the stock lancer 60-0 in 164ft
Damn 164 ft - that sucks.

I was looking at the sticky thread brake guide and pricing out stuff like EBC and HPS. The pads seem pretty cheap and they promise fairly big increases in braking performance, numbers like 15-30%. Gives the impression that put on cheapo **** stock pads?

The brakes on the ralliart seem like they suck to me. I have been in POS cars which stop quicker. I suppose a lot of this is due to the tires - the stock yokos for obvious reasons, and atm i've got snow tires on it.

When the winter tires come off I cannot face to go back to the Yoko's, so will probably get new wheels and decent summer tires - while they are off I could put on some new pads.

I want it to stop like a performance car, not a f***ing Outlander crossover
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
O rly.
lol yeah
I saw this today and it made me think!
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...ing-power.html
Old Feb 11, 2010, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
The MS3 has better tires and likely weighs less.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 06:27 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

keep it clean
Old Feb 11, 2010, 06:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by krnkimchi702
keep it clean
Lo siento.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is certainly no need to get a BBK on your car unless you are a pro racer with a very fast car that need to stop very very fast. In several forums and documentaries and articles they found that anything above 13.5-14" wouldn't realistically stop any better, we are talking about perhaps a couple of feet.

Do your math and see if that is worth. I have had a 14" brake system on my C6 Z06 with 6 piston brakes, I now own a C63 with even bigger brakes, 14.2" with 6 piston calipers but realistically you should be set with a oem Evo size unless what I explained before(pro racer with fast acceleration,speedbraking driving)

Carlos
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
No they don't. Physics denies it as a possibility, that being that larger brakes result in lower stopping distances or times.
Stopping force is defined by the pressure applied to the pad and the coefficient of friction of the pad material. For a single panic stop, these are the only factors to consider which are dependent on the hydraulic pressure of the system and the pads used, not the size of the pads, rotors, calipers, etc.

WRONG!!!!!! Braking is a TORQUING ACTION!!!! The brake pads provide the friction which causes a force to be generated. Torque is equal to the cross product of a distance vector (i.e. rotor size matters) and a force vector ( i.e. number of pistons, hydraulic psi, and pads ). Making any of them better or bigger will increase the amount of stopping TORQUE you can generate. However, the real problem lies in the tires. Pretty much any brake can generate enough torque to stop a moderately sized wheel from turning at reasonable speeds velocity<150. Adding bigger wheels makes more inertia (even if they are lighter, its a fourth order function primarily related to radius) making them harder to stop turning. If your tires suck though, you will slide and your brakes no longer matter. Adressing another one of your stupid idioms, friction is a function of relative temperature, surface contact area, smoothness, and external molecular attraction ( why ceramics are better for both temp and mol. attraction. ) So if you are looking for better stopping power for a street car; start with tires and then rotors, then callipers. If you want the sweet Brembo look, I say GO FOR IT THEIR F****** AWESOME!
4.0 Mech Eng. one semester away from MIT grad school don't argue with me its pointless! <-- only because you were trying to be a know it all a**h***
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by velocityhead
Your hydraulic pressure should be the same with a BBK unless you're upgrading other braking components further up the line (like master cylinder).

Bigger pads won't help unless you have more piston pressure to keep the pressure-per-square-unit consistent. If you take a car and throw on some pads that are 2x the area, the pressure between the pads and rotors will be LESS per square-unit than the smaller pads, unless you can increase the fluid pressure in proportion to the increase in pad size.

From a physics "lever" standpoint, you are correct in that rotor diameter plays a part, though the radius of a BBK rotor isn't a huge difference from the stock rotor. Also keep in mind with a larger, heavier rotor, you now have more rotational inertia to try to stop (just like heavier, larger diameter wheels)

pad psi doessn't matter. If you went through a physics class you would learn that you psi would decrease proportional to the area of the pads. However, braking is a function of torque, which is a force and a distance, so psi doesn't matter. Pressure*Area=Force radii x force = torque (moment). Also, the force generated will be normal to plane of he rotor. The friction is the real stopping power and it is NOT related to the psi. It is related to the force normal to the plane of contact. Friction is also a function of surface area contact. Making them bigger will generate way more friction. This is not needed though, and can cause problems if they are too big becasue your rotors will have too large of an energy input causing them to fail (break).
Old Feb 20, 2010, 09:43 AM
Former Sponsor

I think that the point that he was trying to make is that it shouldn't make a significant difference in everyday driving. But hey, you are further along in engineering than I, and I have never worked on brake design.

Here is a good question for you: Assuming that you were to increase the width of the tires by 3/4" and increase the diameter of the rotors by 3/4", how much more force would the brakes generate assuming that you started out with our stock configuration? And another question, how much weight would you need to eliminate from the car to achieve the same stopping distance from 120 mph?
Old Feb 20, 2010, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
I think that the point that he was trying to make is that it shouldn't make a significant difference in everyday driving. But hey, you are further along in engineering than I, and I have never worked on brake design.

Here is a good question for you: Assuming that you were to increase the width of the tires by 3/4" and increase the diameter of the rotors by 3/4", how much more force would the brakes generate assuming that you started out with our stock configuration? And another question, how much weight would you need to eliminate from the car to achieve the same stopping distance from 120 mph?
It won't make any difference in daily driving, as the stock oem brakes are more than plenty for stopping power. But you don't get the +100000 Hp look from them like you do with the Brembo's (lol jk). I will post a dynamic system model for a car experiencing breaking. ( You will need MATLab to view it) It will be a little crued because it is a waste of time. But here is a quick referene on how to do it. If you don't understand its okay, I wouldn't expect you too without being a senior level engineer or higher. You must have experience in dynamic control systems.

Also making the tire wider doesn't really increase the rotational inertia of the wheel by much. Since it is a function of mass (which will change if you make the tire wider) and a cubic radial term (the main part to the inertia). Making th wheel wider should give you more frictional force on the ground which should allow you to stop quicker. In other words, to maintain the same stopping distance, add weight!

http://www.me.berkeley.edu/~horowitz...ME-JDSMC05.pdf

Last edited by chlucero; Feb 20, 2010 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Brembo Front BBK