Notices

Bent Stock Rims or worse?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bent Stock Rims or worse?

Okay, so I was driving and hit a nice pothole and took out both passenger side tires. Both tires had bulges in the sidewalls and the rims had rubber where the tire flattened out. Right after hitting the pot hole I took my car on the HWY and took her up to 95 and there was no noise nor vibration. I took my car in and picked up some DWS "137.99 per tire" and had the local tire shop install them. They did mention I have a "minor" dent in my rear rim but nothing to worry about. They did the balance and said everything checked out fine... Now after driving the car there is a HUGE difference in my steering wheel, it wobbles and vibrates at high speeds but only in .5 mile increments then its like driving on glass then .5 miles it goes back to vibrating and wobbling. Do I have a bent rim or out of balance tire or something else?

Just thought id mention my car has only 16K miles on it.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Bullet
Okay, so I was driving and hit a nice pothole and took out both passenger side tires. Both tires had bulges in the sidewalls and the rims had rubber where the tire flattened out. Right after hitting the pot hole I took my car on the HWY and took her up to 95 and there was no noise nor vibration. I took my car in and picked up some DWS "137.99 per tire" and had the local tire shop install them. They did mention I have a "minor" dent in my rear rim but nothing to worry about. They did the balance and said everything checked out fine... Now after driving the car there is a HUGE difference in my steering wheel, it wobbles and vibrates at high speeds but only in .5 mile increments then its like driving on glass then .5 miles it goes back to vibrating and wobbling. Do I have a bent rim or out of balance tire or something else?

This happened to me last year on March 4. i hit pothole 13.5 inches deep 18 inches wide and 27 feet long. it was full of water so i did not see it. Rim was dented, strut was bent, tire was cut, alignment was totally off and the worst thing the control arm was cracked. it took me a week to fix the car. On March 11, i filed a claim with the state of NJ. I stated in details when , where, how and that it was not my fault. I sent all the receipts, pictures and description of the damage to the state. All my friends told me that there is no way i will win, however, my case was so well documented that last Friday i got letter stating that i won the case and will be reimbursed for the damage. i know how you feel . I felt the same way, but now is the time to gather all the documents and find out how you file a claim with your state.

BTW My car vibrated because of the control arm.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Both tires had bulges in the sidewalls and the rims had rubber where the tire flattened out. Right after hitting the pot hole I took my car on the HWY and took her up to 95.
Seriously? I guess thats one way to check to see if you have any damage
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blue Bullet, you are a moron. What if you had a blowout on the highway going 95? Not to mention, what happens to the other people you hit after you lose control?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

lol, and that would be why i stay in business, get to cut people outta cars and bandage em up after they do silly things like that. Prolly woulda been smarter to get her tested and made sure she was holding a bead before ya do something like that and cause a accident. But to answer your ? after hasseling ya, its bent and i dont think that wobble is coming out, balancing it or not, i think its still going to give ya a wobble bad. Those balancers are just meant to help get rid of a lil imperfection, not a bent rim. You are going to have to end up replacing that.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

I clipped a curb cause of some black ice during the winter, I ripped the e brake so that my back wheel hit the curb rather me climbing up since I was head on. I ended up with a bit of rim missing and a tiny bend, I barely get wobble but the road noise has increased, I had wheel bearing replaced. I'd suggest getting it all inspected, and replacing ur rim
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by total0wnage
I clipped a curb cause of some black ice
You sure you didnt hit a crub and then maybe some burshes?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 05:37 AM

Well thank you to some people who answered.... I understand it was a bad idea to do what l did.

Should I file an insurance claim or pay out of pocket? Am I able to buy a rim from another source for cheaper?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

ummm, well here is your problem, with claiming insurance. First off they will claim it as a auto accident. Secondly what is your deductible? you will end up paying that which if say its 500 dollars and you personally can buy a rim and pay for labor for 250 then i wouldnt claim anything. You have to remember they can raise your rates over that. I hit a very low curb and my insurance claimed it as a accident and replaced n painted my bumper , but they raised my rates a bit n now im sure there is a smudge on the cars auto report stating i wrecked it once even tho i only hit a speed bump.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AntiBlitz
ummm, well here is your problem, with claiming insurance. First off they will claim it as a auto accident. Secondly what is your deductible? you will end up paying that which if say its 500 dollars and you personally can buy a rim and pay for labor for 250 then i wouldnt claim anything. You have to remember they can raise your rates over that. I hit a very low curb and my insurance claimed it as a accident and replaced n painted my bumper , but they raised my rates a bit n now im sure there is a smudge on the cars auto report stating i wrecked it once even tho i only hit a speed bump.

If the used car network works like it does in Canada, you shouldn't need to worry too much about the auto report, since they only really take major accidents into account. In Canada, if you have damages exceeding $3000, or body panels painted or replaced (I.E. anything that isn't a bumper cover), then the value of the used car is adjusted. Canadian auto reports don't take bumper replacements into account. For other minor things, like rims, control arms, tie rod ends, etc., it also won't make any difference on your auto report unless the broken parts themselves haven't been replaced.

Insurance companies, however, view this differently and will increase your rates for any accident claim, even if the auto report isn't negatively affected by the accident.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaJackson
You sure you didnt hit a crub and then maybe some burshes?
what?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:32 PM

Hey make sure you get the order form for the free flip HD camera from the continental tire website!
Old Mar 16, 2011, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by total0wnage
what?
Sorry its an old joke from the VW forums I think. Basically a kid jumped a curb ran through some bushes and hit a fence. He had such poor english/spelling/typing skills he wrote it as crub, bursh, and fints. Google it and you can find t-shirts and all kinds of other stuff plus the original post.

Back on topic....
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Someone just posted that they are trying to sell 3 stock rims for $300 + shipping, will probably sell them individually: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...ncer-rims.html
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaJackson
Sorry its an old joke from the VW forums I think. Basically a kid jumped a curb ran through some bushes and hit a fence. He had such poor english/spelling/typing skills he wrote it as crub, bursh, and fints. Google it and you can find t-shirts and all kinds of other stuff plus the original post.

Back on topic....
lol i thought it was a drug reference or something lol, but yes ^ a member on here is willing to sell individually

Quick Reply: Bent Stock Rims or worse?