Notices

Alignment/steering issue?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2011, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alignment/steering issue?

For as long as I can remember, there's always been some weird issue with my steering... even before my coilovers and new wheels/tires. If I'm driving down a flat road or even one that's angled, turning the wheel to the left needs more pressure than turning to the right. However, it doesn't seem to veer one way or another and I've had the alignment double and triple checked, also had the coilover settings checked too. Left the shop today and it's still doing it even with my new tire setup.

Anyone encounter this same issue? The guy at the shop told me it could be something that happened at the factory with the steering rack, and he didn't say if anything was damaged or worn in any of the steering components.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BravoZero
For as long as I can remember, there's always been some weird issue with my steering... even before my coilovers and new wheels/tires. If I'm driving down a flat road or even one that's angled, turning the wheel to the left needs more pressure than turning to the right. However, it doesn't seem to veer one way or another and I've had the alignment double and triple checked, also had the coilover settings checked too. Left the shop today and it's still doing it even with my new tire setup.

Anyone encounter this same issue? The guy at the shop told me it could be something that happened at the factory with the steering rack, and he didn't say if anything was damaged or worn in any of the steering components.
Man time for a new steering rack. If you take your old one out, can you take some measurements of it?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

You should also check your power steering fluid level and listen for any grinding sounds when you turn the wheel.

Power steering racks are almost bullet proof these days and don't fail unleas high mileage or severe abuse is involved.

If you track your car alot you may have also fried the fluid and it may need a flush.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

It's a 2011 with less than 13k on it. Never tracked or abused.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

Do you still think it's worth the trip to the dealership despite having coilovers and new wheels and tires?

Also another bit of info... I usually only feel the difficulty to turn when the car is moving. If the car is stopped and I turn the wheel left or right it feels about even. I might jack the front end up and see if it still does it.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

1st theory: It is the driver, not just you, but most drivers. As most people are right-handed, they tend to steer more with their right hand. As it is easier to pull down on the wheel to turn right than it is to push the wheel up and around to turn left.

2nd theory: The offset position of the steering rack causes a larger moment of torque to be applied when turning right.

Regardless, try driving a different car and see if you experience the same issue.

If you take it to the dealer they will more than likely point to your upgraded suspension as the culprit and you will end up beating your head against a rock.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you check the alignment every time at the same place. I did alignment once and the retard told me that is perfect. 1k miles later i needed two new front tires. When I went back same retard checked and said that is still perfect.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

I did, and they're a well-known shop in the northern VA area.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

How much more effort is needed to turn left than right? Personally I've never seen a "flat road" they always have a crown or pitch of some sort of they would have standing water after the least bit of rain. Wider tires are only going to make this perception of more effort worse. Can you post the print out of the latest alignment?

Last edited by cfdfireman1; Nov 20, 2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

I had an issue with more pressure needed to be put steering to the right with a brand new 2011. My car was pulling to the left on flat road. I took it back 3-4 times finally had to get corporate involved and got it fixed. Best bet is take it in since it's a new car.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

@ cfdfireman1- I have tested it on a flat, level surface and angled surfaces, same thing. And yes, you are correct about a wider tire having more of an effect. I can try to take a pic of the printout, doubt it will turn out well. I don't have a scanner, unfortunately.

@ xwxspawnxwx- Did you find out what was the cause? My only concern is the fact that my suspension isn't stock anymore, running on coilovers with wider tires. They're going to blame those first before they even think about doing anything to fix it.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

one other thing you can check is to turn stop to stop and see if the tie rods are indeed centered.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Is the extra effort needed when the car is stationary as well?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

They never really gave me a straight answer but when I initially took it in they did alignment tests and they came up to standards each time... so it was something else.

Sorry that I know that's not really helping but I know how u feel and how frustrating this is when it feels like everything should be fine but it's not. From my understanding they seem to blame it on the tires but i'm not 100%. They were stock yok
Old Nov 20, 2011, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
one other thing you can check is to turn stop to stop and see if the tie rods are indeed centered.
And what if they aren't exactly? Say if the tie rods are indeed centered and my steering wheel is off, which it currently is as well, does that mean that my steering wheel was not put on straight?

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Is the extra effort needed when the car is stationary as well?
From what I've found, no. And usually at very low moving speed it doesn't either. Usually when I'm driving around the neighborhood it starts having that feel.

Originally Posted by xwxspawnxwx
They never really gave me a straight answer but when I initially took it in they did alignment tests and they came up to standards each time... so it was something else.

Sorry that I know that's not really helping but I know how u feel and how frustrating this is when it feels like everything should be fine but it's not. From my understanding they seem to blame it on the tires but i'm not 100%. They were stock yok
I was hoping that was it as well, but it's clearly not the case since I don't have those tires on anymore.

Quick Reply: Alignment/steering issue?