Notices

Swift Springs for the BC Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swift Springs for the BC Coilovers

I want to upgrade the springs on my BC BR's to some Swifts, and they have several sizes/rates/strokes/etc. But what I can't find info on is what size the stock BC springs are. I don't know if I need a 60/65/75 mm ID (shock housing is 53 mm, but which one works with the perch/etc). Then I need to determine length (based on weight it seems) and rate (travel amount). I want to upgrade to 9k F/R, and I'm thinking 6" or 7" will be on the money...?
Any one with specific knowledge on this topic (MadSB, you lurking around here somewhere )
Old Dec 8, 2011, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

I wanted to do the same for my Megan coilovers but after weeks of searching I gave up lol. I really hope you are able to do this. The Ralliart would really benefit from a more aggressive spring rate.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

There are plenty of options available, I'm just not positive on which ones to go with....
I'm planning on getting more serious with road racing the SB next season, so I need to:
1) Upgrade the suspension a bit more (currently BC BR's w/ the standard 8/6K, Whiteline F&R sway bars, Racing Line endlinks, Whiteline rear diff bushing kit, Whiteline rear camber kit): 9/9K springs, possibly GT Spec Brace
2) I have FN01RC's in the garage (18x8.5+48) that I need to get PC'ed and good rubber
3)NEW BRAKES!!! This is the WORST part of our car The Brake Man is about 10 mins from where I live/work, so I'm thinking of strolling down there this spring
4) New Radiator (already have some perrty blue Mishimoto hoses) and an Oil cooler
5) Look into some solid motor mounts, bushing upgrades, etc

That should put me in a really good place to push this car and not have to worry toooo much (I'm already OCD about preventative maintenance).
So I'd like to try and upgrade the springs on these coilovers before I completely write them off. Don't get me wrong, for DD and light track duty they work just great. But looking back I wish I'd gotten the RAM, or better yet the ER's
Old Dec 8, 2011, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

or.....get an MR (flame suit on)
Old Dec 8, 2011, 03:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get an MR.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

I'm interested too. Could definitely use more aggressive spring rates.

Originally Posted by sstevojr
3)NEW BRAKES!!! This is the WORST part of our car The Brake Man is about 10 mins from where I live/work, so I'm thinking of strolling down there this spring
NFS's kit does wonders.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Too bad some one doesn't make it anymore.....
Old Dec 8, 2011, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Eric-
You don't have a fair comparison; you went from your RA with lower springs to an EVO with full coilover, sway bars, ROC, etc.
Kinda one sided there. I could be in a stock Evo and then jump into an SI with a full suspension set up and be like "OMG this thing will out handle all!"
Old Dec 9, 2011, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

There are plenty of options available, I'm just not positive on which ones to go with....
I'm planning on getting more serious with road racing the SB next season, so I need to:
1) Upgrade the suspension a bit more (currently BC BR's w/ the standard 8/6K, Whiteline F&R sway bars, Racing Line endlinks, Whiteline rear diff bushing kit, Whiteline rear camber kit): 9/9K springs, possibly GT Spec Brace
2) I have FN01RC's in the garage (18x8.5+48) that I need to get PC'ed and good rubber
4) New Radiator (already have some perrty blue Mishimoto hoses) and an Oil cooler
5) Look into some solid motor mounts, bushing upgrades, etc

That should put me in a really good place to push this car and not have to worry toooo much (I'm already OCD about preventative maintenance).
So I'd like to try and upgrade the springs on these coilovers before I completely write them off. Don't get me wrong, for DD and light track duty they work just great. But looking back I wish I'd gotten the RAM, or better yet the ER's

We are pretty much on the same page. I as well plan on doing as many track days as possible with the RA. Keep me posted when you plan on going and ill do the same.

I am also worried about the brakes... I did one track day in the rain with Portorfield race pads, motul and SS brake lines and the car was fine, but that was in the rain. True test will be when its dry. I also plan on getting some DBA 4000 front rotors. If this combo doesn't work then maybe we can get a group buy discount at theBrakeman? lol

Couple of questions:
Have you mounted those 18x8.5 +48? Only reason I ask is because I want to run a 17x9+45 but im worried about them hitting the rear control arm

You mentioned an oil cooler. Are you making one yourself or having RRE do one? Im looking for some ideas...
Old Dec 9, 2011, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

This is the best thread ever for wheels:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...s-fitment.html
Plus I bought them off a former RA owner who ran them with no issues
Old Dec 9, 2011, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

We have like 4 months to get everything ready for next season
I'm not 100% set on what brakes I want to run (full on BBK or upgrade the rotors/pads), but the Brake Man's set looks epic!
As for oil cooler, I bought one to upgrade the SST (in addition to the secondary I have) but it is just too big to fit. Not sure if I'm going to have RRE make me a bracket, or have them make me a custom set-up.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

This is the best thread ever for wheels:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...s-fitment.html
Plus I bought them off a former RA owner who ran them with no issues
Thank you!
I checked that post before but i hadn't seen the link to that specific wheel. Just as i suspected you need a spacer to clear the the inside

Last edited by 2muchboost; Dec 9, 2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

'You' who? Not I, the spacer is for max flush (outside face).
Old Dec 9, 2011, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

I would have to run a 5-10mm spacer to clear the rear control arm with a 17x9 +45 setup. I just wanted to avoid running a spacer. I'm not to worried about the whole "Flush" look. I just want to be able to run a 9in wide wheel with a 255 tire
I might be able to do 17x9 +35 buth then i worry about clearing the fender... Gerrrr. Its so hard to get the perfect setup!

Last edited by 2muchboost; Dec 9, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which BC coilovers do you have? They have all of their spring rates listed on their website.

I believe the Evo 7-9 use a 7kg/mm in the front, 8kg/mm in the rear. 200mm height in the front, 220mm in the rear. Inner Diameter should be 62mm. I just recently started carrying Swift springs, so let me know if you need any help with that end of things.

I wouldn't go any stiffer than 10kg/mm in the front, and 12 in the rear. 9/10 would probably be as stiff as most people would consider comfortable. If you want to tweak the characteristics of the car at all, consider that when choosing spring rates. Spring rates play a big role in how the car handles.

Quick Reply: Swift Springs for the BC Coilovers