Notices

Nitto NT05

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy **** this thread cracks me up.....

If you swear the NT05's are crappy your probably a crappy driver. Never once had anything bad to say about NT05's. Your comparing RS3's to NT05's? Fail

You live in Houston,TX which I HIGHLY....HIGHLY doubt you do any REAL cornering. Cones don't count my friend. In Cali we have many tracks out here and I said Tracks not Parking lots. NT05's perform amazing and to bash them to pick Star Specs over the NT05s tells me alot about your "Performance" driving ability and that statement is simply a unexperienced reply.

There are many variations to count for with tires and "performance" tires aren't meant to be slapped on and DONE. Your suspension setup reflects how the car performs with the AID of tires. Cold Temp Grip.... you kidding me? I've done Canyon Runs with no issues.

GREASY!? That means you over worked the tire like no tomorrow. NT05's work great on Hot Temps around 40 PSI HOT.

RS3's are a 140 wear tire..... NT05's are 200s.. I would pray that the RS3's would grip better. Besides the fact, I rather have NT01's > Advan AD08 > RS'3 > NT05 > Stars > V12

I dont even want to begin talking about V12's lol.... I will say this, unless it rains alot in your area or you do more daily driving than any performance driving AT ALL then buy the v12's. It is what it is... a Daily Driver tire. Price for DD hands down V12's.

If you feel like the NT05's are that bad "Mediocre" then please come to Cali and prove it on our tracks out here before judging tires on flat surfaces. As far as mileage goes, 2-3 track days I've made about 19K Miles on my first set before replacing to get another set which has lasted me 25K on just DD and 1 track day.

I will agree with the Rain comment... NT05's aren't the greatest tire for rain as it purely wasn't made for any wet condition driving.. I thought that was pretty common sense when buying tires, buy tires to what you would use them for.

** Ran All Mentioned tires on my personal RA, Evo, and customer cars along with race cars for testing/time attack***

Last edited by AlphaKennyBody; Apr 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

posts like yours remind me why I barely visit evom anymore. not even going to bother replying against a post like that - and you completely missed the point

Last edited by Exyia; Apr 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I've heard from a number of trusted sources that NT05s get super greasy when pushed. So maybe it is in fact you, AlphaKennyBody, that is not pushing hard enough.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Based on the OP's other thread here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...on-needed.html the car is primarily a DD and it is only taken to the track a couple of times per year. With that being said, and I'm guessing that Canadian weather fluctuates nearly as frequently as it does here in the Midwest (depending on where you are, of course, correct me if I'm wrong) for the price, that's why I recommended the V12. It is definitely NOT anywhere near a top-of-the-line performance tire, but compared with others in the same price category it will perform decently and still provide the wet weather traction desirable for a daily driven vehicle.

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Apr 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I've heard from a number of trusted sources that NT05s get super greasy when pushed. So maybe it is in fact you, AlphaKennyBody, that is not pushing hard enough.
No the NT05's do have their breaking point but it much more that just Greasy.... trust me I've pushed them to their limits which isn't an easy task for a Ralliart. But like I said before..... Suspension has LOTS to do with how well a Tire will work. They do stop performing after whatever variables/conditions but they work. Talking about tires is like talking about Coilovers or Evo vs STi... there's many views and will never settle to be an end all situation.

I never said the NT05's is the Holy tire... I already listed my tire selections so I'll leave it there. Trusted or not I dont believe in reviews until you personally try it for yourself cause they may work for your car vs their car/driving style. Well I'm done here and to the OP

Best of Luck buy whatever tire fits your budget and your driving.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Those are price very well at 152$ I live in Canada and work at a dealer. I picked up a set last year for 154 a tire which is my cost!! List is 200. Tire is amazing, no complaints at all. Well may be that when you get them they look like they have already been pre-worn out lol
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

A good friend had NT05s on his STI. He hated them for autocross uses, specifically saying they got greasy really fast. That seems to be a common complaint. The same is true of RT615K, good for a few runs and then it drops off. I think if you want a dual purpose tire, meaning track and street, there are better options out there. That being said though, if you're doing 95% street driving, and want to save a bit of money, I would still consider the NT05s and the RT615s. Another tire that's gaining a following is the Federal 595RSR.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...ort=P&dsco=150

$135 a tire for 235/40/18.

Last edited by ambystom01; Apr 16, 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

I went from an NT01 to a NT05 just recently. I was very worried that the lack of traction would be horrible but the NT05 ended up surprising me on how well it did.

As for the tire getting greasy; Yes it will get greasy if you get the tire to hot. I knew this already so I never ran full 25 minute sessions. I always went 6-7 laps and then did a cool down lap. The tires never got greasy on me.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

NT01 is an R-comp, completely different kind of tire.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

I've been rocking 595-SS so far this season. For the price, very impressed with the performance, they held up superbly at Big Willow; yesterday at Streets of Willow they saved me from going off no less than twice (engaged ABS making my brakes useless for control), although to be honest for that track I couldn't push them nearly as hard as I would have liked(much more technical/hard cornering course).
Can't wait to run through them so I can step up to 595RS-R's

Last edited by sstevojr; Apr 16, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

NT01 is an R-comp, completely different kind of tire.
No its not! Both are made by Nitto!

^^^Sarcasm in case you missed it
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A good friend had NT05s on his STI. He hated them for autocross uses, specifically saying they got greasy really fast. That seems to be a common complaint. The same is true of RT615K, good for a few runs and then it drops off. I think if you want a dual purpose tire, meaning track and street, there are better options out there. That being said though, if you're doing 95% street driving, and want to save a bit of money, I would still consider the NT05s and the RT615s. Another tire that's gaining a following is the Federal 595RSR.

Just a note...autocross AIN'T TRACK. Autocross stresses different bits of your car then track driving. AlphaKenny is talking about track driving...exyia it sounds like he autocrosses as he never said otherwise to kenny's remark. The autocrossers I know hate the NT05...track guys love them as a cheap option.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

That's true autocross seems to heats up tires considerable more than track driving (unless you are just throwing your car around, drifting each corner ); perhaps enough to induce the greasy nature of going beyond the intended heat range?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

not only that but from reading some of the stuff that Exyia has said regarding his experiences with his X, leads me to believe that the X's AYC maybe compounding the issue... combine a tire that's borderline over heating with a car that tries to drift every turn ... :\
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not a big fan of AYC, but if need be I could live with it. It just seems not right constantly trying to"stabilize" the car while turning.

Quick Reply: Nitto NT05