Notices

Winter tire Size question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter tire Size question

Hey looking at picking up a set of winter tires off someone and the size is 205/50r16

now would i be running into any issues with fitment or anything, they were originally on his 2010 lancer sportback gts.

cheers
Old Oct 9, 2012, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
They will be short, but you should be ok, just beware as you'll have less ground clearance
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
They will be short, but you should be ok, just beware as you'll have less ground clearance
Oh ok. Thank you. Like how much lower are we talking here?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Overall tire height is about 1.5" shorter, plus you'll have larger, softer sidewalls, so probably you stand to lose about an inch of ground clearance
Old Sep 10, 2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dmundz
Hey looking at picking up a set of winter tires off someone and the size is 205/50r16

now would i be running into any issues with fitment or anything, they were originally on his 2010 lancer sportback gts.

cheers
Hey just wondering how this size worked for you last winter?
I am looking at getting a winter set for my '12 RA and would like to go with a 16" instead of 18" tires.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Nothing wrong with going 16's, but the 50 sidewall profile makes the tire much shorter than the overall diameter of the stock tires. If you are looking to purchase (and fortunately you have begun looking early enough) 205/60R16 is an excellent choice and what many of us use successfully, year after year.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
Nothing wrong with going 16's, but the 50 sidewall profile makes the tire much shorter than the overall diameter of the stock tires. If you are looking to purchase (and fortunately you have begun looking early enough) 205/60R16 is an excellent choice and what many of us use successfully, year after year.
Thanks for letting me know that!!!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:24 PM

I ran 205/60r16 with studded snows and I was throughly impressed, I didn't face any problems on stock height, but im lowered this year so we will have tosee.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 04:49 PM

Currently running 205/60r16with bridgestone blizzaks on some steel rims, no change in height speedo, or anything, and they are phenomenal. 960 with sensors from tire rack
Old Dec 17, 2013, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Im running 225/40/18 Blizzaks. Why you ask, because reguardless of it being Winter or Summer I like my car looking good. I am in no way a fan of super small steelies when you dont have to spend a dime on wheels and just use the stockers. These tires are amazing this time of year especially with all snow we've been getting and Ive had absolutely no problems running a larger than stock tire and 18" wheels.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 03:35 AM

the steel wheels provide multiple benefits, 1. you don't have to worry about that unfortunate curb tap in the snow it if you cant see the curb.would hate to ruin my factoiry rims. lets face it , **** happens, 2. price. you won't break the bank and a second set of wheels saves you the mounting and dismounting over the course of several years. 3. lastly , getting those stock wheels off gives you a chance to give them a nice powder coat or h20 transfer image. 2 sets of rims, 2 sets of tires, 2 sets of sensors, some extra security and some good lookin factory wheels for about 1800 if you count the powder coat. Just an option. nothing wrong with going the factory route, i can see blizzaks in any size performing excellently
Old Dec 18, 2013, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SPCY
the steel wheels provide multiple benefits, 1. you don't have to worry about that unfortunate curb tap in the snow it if you cant see the curb.would hate to ruin my factoiry rims. lets face it , **** happens, 2. price. you won't break the bank and a second set of wheels saves you the mounting and dismounting over the course of several years. 3. lastly , getting those stock wheels off gives you a chance to give them a nice powder coat or h20 transfer image. 2 sets of rims, 2 sets of tires, 2 sets of sensors, some extra security and some good lookin factory wheels for about 1800 if you count the powder coat. Just an option. nothing wrong with going the factory route, i can see blizzaks in any size performing excellently
1. Ive driven in 4 winters with my stock wheels on without ever curbing them
2. I have another set of wheels on summer tires so no need to mount & dismount over and over
3. My stock wheels are painted flat black so Ive had the chance & you cannot run two sets of sensors on these cars only one set of tpms will work
Like I said previously I always want my car looking good sun, rain, sleet, or snow it doesnt matter and imo some 16" wheels on skinny tires around here isnt necessary and doesnt look good. To each their own its just how I feel.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

+1

I run a set of stock 18s with 215/45 tires for the winter and they look and handle a lot better than 16" steelies with narrow 205/60 tires with high sidewalls.

As for TPMS, I have disabled mine and check my pressures weekly year-round.

Originally Posted by Jay10Ralliart
1. Ive driven in 4 winters with my stock wheels on without ever curbing them
2. I have another set of wheels on summer tires so no need to mount & dismount over and over
3. My stock wheels are painted flat black so Ive had the chance & you cannot run two sets of sensors on these cars only one set of tpms will work
Like I said previously I always want my car looking good sun, rain, sleet, or snow it doesnt matter and imo some 16" wheels on skinny tires around here isnt necessary and doesnt look good. To each their own its just how I feel.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

When I got my new summer tires and wheels I sold my stock Ralliart wheels and tires for $800. As far as the winter set, any difference in price saved from the wheels gets paid back by spending extra money on the wider, lower profile winter tires. In other words - ending up with cash on the side is better than "not having to spend a dime". As far as winter performance - heavier is better and narrower is better as well. There's a pretty good reason why rally cars look like this in the snow:

Really the only potential downside of 205/60/16 tires on steel rims is the look of the car, but I actually like the rugged look of the Ralliart with these. They also have the side effect of greatly improving ride quality over lower profile tires.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I would never sell my stock wheels for a couple reasons:
1. Theyre painted black and look better than some 16" wheels
2. Winters down here arent like in Canada and I have yet to find a reason to use anything than my stockers and winter tires to fit
3. If I ever sell or trade in my car Im not gonna do it with some ugly small *** wheels on it and theres no way Id trade it in with my Summer wheels on

I totally understand the benefits but imo taking the time to find wheels to fit isnt worth it. Plus Im lowered so I cant have some huge 60 tires and like I said I like my wheels flush and to look good. Those just wont cut it and I sure dont rally my car through snow like that pic anyways so its just not necessary.

Quick Reply: Winter tire Size question