Notices

Winter tire Size question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2013, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure, as I said it boils down to the looks

As far as finding wheels that fit - it is a piece of cake. 205/60/16s tires are near identical in diameter to the stock ones (more so than my summer 235/40/18s for sure) and there are direct fit 6.5" steel rims for Mitsubishi as well (don't even need hub centric rings) which are great on any lowered setup and easily clear the stock brakes.

In any case, up here in Canada everyday driving can often feel like that WRC pic with all the snow we get, just at lower speed. The last month and a half we've occasionally had even -30 Celsius weather an a ton of snow even on major roads.

Ultimately, as long as you've got winter tires, you have the most important part of the equation, even if they are a bit wider. A ton of idiots here in Alberta drive with all seasons throughout the whole year and are downright dangerous. Especially the drivers of trucks and SUVs who get a false sense of security due to the giant size of their vehicles and 4WD.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 06:16 AM

Running the 205/60R16 as suggested in an earlier post and they are working GREAT.
I don't mind the steel rims for the winter tire, plus the savings was money in my pocket.
I paid $700 all in from Costco for the 4 Blizzaks, 4 steel rims and installation.

Took pure satisfaction in them when we got a blizzard here almost two weeks ago and my car chewed up the hill through snow and ice passing two 4x4 jeeps that were stuck like it was nothing.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CanadianRAGirl
Running the 205/60R16 as suggested in an earlier post and they are working GREAT.
I don't mind the steel rims for the winter tire, plus the savings was money in my pocket.
I paid $700 all in from Costco for the 4 Blizzaks, 4 steel rims and installation.

Took pure satisfaction in them when we got a blizzard here almost two weeks ago and my car chewed up the hill through snow and ice passing two 4x4 jeeps that were stuck like it was nothing.
Yeah thats the whole thing, I paid such a ridiculous low price for my Blizzaks with owning my own shop and knowing certain people from Bridgestone personally because of previous sponsorships through my showcar I spent less than you did so honestly what I did was the best option imo.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jay10Ralliart
Yeah thats the whole thing, I paid such a ridiculous low price for my Blizzaks with owning my own shop and knowing certain people from Bridgestone personally because of previous sponsorships through my showcar I spent less than you did so honestly what I did was the best option imo.
Oh well, had you noted all that pertinent information before, we may not have debated the point as much between the ""2 sets of wheels and and the whole "own my own shop" thing. You have some connections that most people on this forum don't. That being said , It makes perfect sense what you decided to do Jay, I think anyone in your treads would be foolish not to. Next time just let us know that your a shop owner and maybe the cost effectiveness will appear different from our perspective as well. Btw you should rally your car through the snow like that, its a friggin blast!!!
Old Jan 11, 2014, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Found this tire and wheel calculator. Input what u are running and what u are wanting to run. U see the overlays of old and new. Little bit of help for anyone who needs it. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tir...0r18-215-45r18
Old Jan 13, 2014, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SPCY
Oh well, had you noted all that pertinent information before, we may not have debated the point as much between the ""2 sets of wheels and and the whole "own my own shop" thing. You have some connections that most people on this forum don't. That being said , It makes perfect sense what you decided to do Jay, I think anyone in your treads would be foolish not to. Next time just let us know that your a shop owner and maybe the cost effectiveness will appear different from our perspective as well. Btw you should rally your car through the snow like that, its a friggin blast!!!
Reguardless of the fact that I own a shop is Id still go the same route as I did if I didnt get the benefits of pricing. First thing is if you want a cheaper price buy the tires in the Summer dont wait til 2 weeks before snow fall to order them. I like my car looking a certain way so some things are worth the money. Plus, why not utilize the stock rims since I still have them. Im not willing to put them up for sale deal with a ton of low ball offers deal with shipping them to then turn around and find a decent set that fir my car. Its so much simpler to just do it this way. Anyways, this thread has basically turned into everyones opinions and everyone thinks their opinion is the right one. Its up to you what you wanna do theres always pros and cons to everything.