I have the K&N Drop-in filter
You will hear the pzzzzshhhhhhhhhh sound once you rev above 3k
(With music off you can hear it)

PZzzzzzSSHHSHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssssieeeeeeeo0oo ooooooo
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Electronics
No worries, just posting a HKS vs Cosworth comparison of the filter and their flow capabilities.
Yeah, and it's not that there aren't gains to be made, but they might not be the gains people are looking for.

Power: The gains will be almost insignificant.

Economy: People have reported a slight increase in gas mileage (which I think might make it worthwhile.

Aesthetics: People will hear their intake system better. Plus, being able to rock a K&N, Cotsworth, HKS, etc. decal = Priceless.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 01:14 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i had in the begining a BMC i dont know if they even make them anynmore,,,, but for the power you get and how expensive they are just get yoursefl a good cone filter and a 20$ MAF adaptor and youll make more power than a drop in filter
Old Oct 19, 2009, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
i had in the begining a BMC i dont know if they even make them anynmore,,,, but for the power you get and how expensive they are just get yoursefl a good cone filter and a 20$ MAF adaptor and youll make more power than a drop in filter
I think the appeal of the drop-in is that you do not need a tune. With a new intake you need a tune in most cases otherwise you risk running lean and hurting the engine either very quickly or very slowly depending on what you get. =)

-Taranis
Old Oct 19, 2009, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you for the dyno post. I am sure with freeing up the air (in the what seems to be the best damn performing factory intake I have ever seen) will surely give you quicker spool up time. The HKS was out of stock at the shop I ordered it from so....... I got the Cosworth instead. Checked Cosworth out and they sponsor a frickin F-1 team, make parts for airplanes, and aerospace. So I am pretty sure that they make a good Performance filter that even has ISO regulations stamped on it. This filter according to the EVO dyno sheet should give the RA i little quicker boost. I'm kind of glad they were out of HKS now.

Check this!
http://www.cosworth.com/

Cosworth has lots of nice upgrades for the X. They may just fit the R/A to.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 06:27 AM

Also, utilizing the stock plumbing allows for the OEM cold air/ ram air effect that is built in. Where as a cone and adapter usually just suck from the engine bay. While sometimes it may not be detrimental to performance, it could sometimes.

Also, Cosworth does not sponsor any F1 teams. They have been involved for about 50 years providing engines and starting in around 2002, their electronics division has been provided electronics. Just really love F1!!!

And yeah, they did just come out with a new ECU and Intake manifold for the X. i had been keeping my eyes open for it!

Sorry, back to the filters! The best part is there are so many choices of parts!

Edit: Just found www.cosworthusa.com is the place i saw the new parts.

Last edited by Electronics; Oct 20, 2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Sponsor F-1, provide motors for F-1= tomato or toemato. There performance products supply top notch race teams and that's the type of company I want making parts for my ride. All these filters are quality products some for one reason some for another. I am happy with my choice all be it a coincident they were out of the HKS. Cosworth looks like they know there stuff, and what i wanted was a dry filter with no oil for the MAF.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

I kind of like the idea of going with cosworth. I used to run a lot of cosworth parts on my focus, and loved them. but all i see on their page is for the X? does the filter from the X fit the RA?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

hmmm interesting. good to know thank you
Old Oct 23, 2009, 01:08 PM

Yeah, I do not know why they do not list them appropriately. I ended up realizing that the subaru one is shared with Nissans from back in the day too. Oh well!
Old Oct 26, 2009, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just started using the HKS drop-in filter, just by eye balling the MPG metric on the dash I see a gain. I have been using the Miles Per Gallon log at the back of the Ralliart Manual to record actual fuel use and mileage to calculate the real MPG. I have at least 8 data points for the stock drop-in filter. I'm going to report back with my MPG gain with the HKS drop-in so we can have a comparison. Car is all stock, except only difference is it's now running 225 size tires instead of the OEM 215.

One more thing, yes I hear more sound from the engine with the windows rolled down. A noticeable difference to my ears.

Last edited by robertg; Oct 26, 2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Great I will very interested in your results.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:11 AM

So I installed my HKS filter recently and the difference is apparent.

I can confirm the MPG's have gone up slightly. The engine, exhaust, and turbo sounds a bit different. When I accelerate, it seems as though the air flow has freed up. I say this because the RPM's go up and down much quicker, with less "restriction". The whole process sounds and feels noticeably freed up.

To offer my experience on getting a drop-in... if you are running pure stock (the HKS filter is my first official performance mod at the moment) and you feel like the engine is restricted and held back, that it could do better somehow, then you need a new air filter. It will free up your air flow and you will be pleased with the results for the amount of money you spent on this simple upgrade (40 -50 bucks)

HKS, cosworth, oil filter... whatever, just change that stupid Mitsu filter and prepare for the happy fun time feelings.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

WHOOP! Cosworth installed and breathing. Over all quality of the filter is nice. The frame is sturdy and has a very nice rubber gasket for sealing up tight on the intakes factory box. I really like the R/A factory cold air intakes design.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 02:18 AM

The HKS filter doesn't have a gasket. Has this alarmed anyone else? I think I am going to try the cosworth filter to see the difference... I am glad it has a gasket.

Quick Reply: Who has the best Drop in Filter?