Notices

what CAN the SST handle?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2010, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what CAN the SST handle?

Ok I have been wanting to get more HP and TQ out of my car, but I have heard and read numerous things about the sst transmission can only handle 300ft/tq... and also reading some of the other members dyno slips that are way over the 300ft/tq mark dont have anything done to the transmission. Please somebody please explain what are the limits of the stock transmission without anything changed and if there is anything that needs to be replace please explain.

thanks in advanced!
Old Dec 2, 2010, 06:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I forget what the guys at SSP said about this. They are around on the forums. I would look them up and ask them. They know more about this transmission than anyone else you will find. If you PM them or send them an email, let us know what they say.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 07:32 PM
Account Disabled

there are 4 of us here with 340 + ft/lbs of torque with zero issues.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

It all depends where and when the car was tested and tuned on a dyno. Brian's sb is tuned to have the boost come in very linearly so its less stress on the clutch packs.

300 ft lbs at the wheels is a safe limit to set. Many guys are way over that with good tuning. One guy in calgary just needed one untuned dyno run over 340 ft lbs and smoked his clutch packs. So you have to be careful!
Old Dec 5, 2010, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mikesim
It all depends where and when the car was tested and tuned on a dyno. Brian's sb is tuned to have the boost come in very linearly so its less stress on the clutch packs.

300 ft lbs at the wheels is a safe limit to set. Many guys are way over that with good tuning. One guy in calgary just needed one untuned dyno run over 340 ft lbs and smoked his clutch packs. So you have to be careful!

WHICH GUY WAS THAT?!?!?!?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 07:49 AM

from what i remember ams said 365 hp and torque
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GenetiX403
WHICH GUY WAS THAT?!?!?!?
lol i didnt mean anything by that, but you guys have way more experience than most of us and a noob wants to break the 300wtq barrier. I'm just warning him to be careful.

I really hope he new cdrd turbo will come with a base tune so i can drive my car out to you guys. (trying to get it all done by summer when i go out there for a wedding).
Old Dec 5, 2010, 02:08 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mikesim

actually mike, this was 100% due to tuner error. He had left the ASC on.

Straight from the horses mouth.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Westbound&down
actually mike, this was 100% due to tuner error. He had left the ASC on.

Straight from the horses mouth.
true story....the second time i went down there i told him to make sure the asc was off hes likes EFF i always forget it!!!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
My RA sportback is currently at 360whp/320wtq on the GST Mustang Dyno (actual low reading one). I hate playing the dyno games but with the 'normal' 10-12% difference between Mustang to Dynojet it would be around 400whp / 355wtq if we where interweb racing.

It initially had issues in 1st gear only, shifting issues, which I had posted about awhile back. It has since been solved (so far) with some creative tuning.

100% stock SST trans with OEM fluid.

If I don't have ASC completely off the car will trip it every time I go WOT, even in a straight line on dry pavement.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 01:22 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by razorlab
My RA sportback is currently at 360whp/320wtq on the GST Mustang Dyno (actual low reading one). I hate playing the dyno games but with the 'normal' 10-12% difference between Mustang to Dynojet it would be around 400whp / 355wtq if we where interweb racing.

It initially had issues in 1st gear only, shifting issues, which I had posted about awhile back. It has since been solved (so far) with some creative tuning.

If I don't have ASC completely off the car will trip it every time I go WOT, even in a straight line on dry pavement.

the first gear shifting issue you speak of.. do you mean how it wont auto shift 1-2 in normal or sport auto mode?

And if you did fix it, mind sharing?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab

I hope there is a fix in the future for the torque limit programed into the RA. It would be a shame if we couldn't use our ASC. In the northeast we get snow and ASC would be a must with big horsepower.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 01:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoOtto
I hope there is a fix in the future for the torque limit programed into the RA. It would be a shame if we couldn't use our ASC. In the northeast we get snow and ASC would be a must with big horsepower.
I think you might be confused with my post.

The ASC still works just dandy, it just works a little too well now that the car struggles for traction at WOT and will shut down the fun quickly if left on.

Keep in mind my RA is making almost double the amount of power as stock.

Also I can't think of many 400hp cars you would want to drive at WOT through a blizzard unless you where rally racing.

Your right foot will most likely work better at traction control then ASC in those types of conditions. I know my Evo with 412whp/400wtq on the same dyno does/did just fine in blizzards and tons of snow using my right foot as traction control.

- Bryan
Old Dec 6, 2010, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the clarification Bryan. That was a huge bummer until I realized you were just breaking the tire loose on dry pavement with that kind of HP!!!! Very nice. I can only hope to make this kind of power some day. Can't wait to see the number from CBRD!!