Notices

SST Grind on Startup

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ltn
Like I said in my earlier posts I took my car in but they gave me the "can't replicate the issue" line. I can't just keep bringing my car in and not having anything done because they can't replicate it.
I suggest you doggedly persist in taking it in. Instruct them on how they can try to replicate it... ie. Leave it parked outside in the cold overnight, then start it first thing the next morning.

Make a total pain of yourself... so that once they hear it happen just one little time, they'll think - "aha, now we can get that guy off our backs!"... and do something constructive.

Rich
Old May 23, 2011, 02:40 PM
ltn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just another updated for anyone who encounters this problem. I took a nice video of the sound with the door open on startup to show to the service people and then brought it in last night. I let it sit overnight at the dealership and then I went early in the morning right when they opened and started my car. Luckily it made the grinding sound this time. I just received a call and it looks like they are going to replace the transmission. I guess they talked to whoever they need to and they got the okay to replace it. I will post again when the tranny is replaced. Thanks everyone for all the help.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ltn
Just another updated for anyone who encounters this problem. I took a nice video of the sound with the door open on startup to show to the service people and then brought it in last night. I let it sit overnight at the dealership and then I went early in the morning right when they opened and started my car. Luckily it made the grinding sound this time. I just received a call and it looks like they are going to replace the transmission. I guess they talked to whoever they need to and they got the okay to replace it. I will post again when the tranny is replaced. Thanks everyone for all the help.

Bingo!

Rich
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by ltn
Here is a video of what happens on startup. You might have to turn the sound up as I was using my iphone. Please tell me that is not a normal occurance. BTW it is right at the beginning of the viedo so you have to be ready to listen for the sound. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqZlxVO12W4
Dude!!! Thanks for this video mines does the same thing!!! Except i never turn the ignition key to "on" i actually turn the car on and as it lurks forward it makes this exact same winding/grinding noise. Im to the point where i dont want to drive/turn on the car anymore
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by richardjh
I suggest you doggedly persist in taking it in. Instruct them on how they can try to replicate it... ie. Leave it parked outside in the cold overnight, then start it first thing the next morning.

Make a total pain of yourself... so that once they hear it happen just one little time, they'll think - "aha, now we can get that guy off our backs!"... and do something constructive.

Rich
This guy knows what hes talking about. Think about it if someone is persistant and "not leaving" until they come up with a solution, then they will pay more attention to you and want to help you to get you out of their hair. I kept *****ing andcomplaing about a morse code noise on startup in my radio. I kept *****ing and *****ing and *****ing. Finally they kept it and did a lot of tests and found out it was the lo jack installed (through Mitsu dealership) was installed to close to the radio or whatever. They "replaced" my radio and speaker before doing this, i forgot to mention. In closing keep being a pain in the ***, it gets you places and gets you what you want
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ltn
Yeah I don't think it's solenoids or the hill issue. It is definitely a grinding sound like in a manual when you forget to clutch a manual. Does anyone else have any experience with this issue. Thanks.

When I start my car there are a crunching/grinding/clicking sounds (not like a grinding of gears sound, but more of a clunking sound if that makes sense). It happens every startup and upon inspection, the dealership said it was normal...the gears were setting..something like that.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

The problem sound is one that resembles manual-box synchro grind.

Rich
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:05 AM

Sounds normal to me. Thats why i hate Starting my car i feel like any day now its going to fall apart
Old May 25, 2012, 03:05 PM

How did it go?

Originally Posted by ltn
Hi ltn, just wondering if the transmission replacement resolved the issue? I am in a similar situation as you and the dealer is having a hard time finding the problem. Any information you may have would be appreciated. Or if anyone else know what this is or what the solution is, could you please post your findings/results/solution?
Old May 30, 2012, 03:33 PM
ltn

Replacing the tranny did fix the problem but I guess it could happen in the future. I have sent you a PM. Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:36 AM

Any updates on how the car is now? Can u still confirm its a transmission issue? I'm having the exact same problem on cold start after leaving the car parked for a day or so.. Have also read quite a few threads about this same issue.. I think one other person claims the dealer replaced the timing belt and fixed the issue.. Would love if u could confirm before I take my car to the dealers
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:37 AM
ltn

The car is running fine with no problems and I have stuck around 15-20k on the new tranny. I haven't heard anything about the belts but maybe you could try that also. Just make sure to start the car in the morning with the tech guy and the service writer so they can hear the noise.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:51 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jevoxmr
Any updates on how the car is now? Can u still confirm its a transmission issue? I'm having the exact same problem on cold start after leaving the car parked for a day or so.. Have also read quite a few threads about this same issue.. I think one other person claims the dealer replaced the timing belt and fixed the issue.. Would love if u could confirm before I take my car to the dealers
You mean the accessory belt? The RA doesn't have a timing belt, it has a timing chain.