Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 Viii Tranny Trans Transmission Clutch Noise Chatter Grind

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 Viii Tranny Trans Transmission Clutch Noise Chatter Grind

Hi there. My name is Ken. Let me get right into my predicament to see if I am thinking in the right direction. I have a 2003 mitsubishi lancer evo 8. Its a low mileage vehicle. The issues that concern me are somewhat complicated. I tend to have a logical approach on any problem that crosses my path and this particular situation has me at a stand still. I may have transmission or transfer case TC issues.

Currently I have an exedy stage 2 ceramicmetallic clutch in the vehicle, sprung hub. This was put in about 3 months ago. I broke it in by riding very easy on it for approximately 1500 miles. The clutch always grabbed very strong and everything seemed coshier. The car has been to milan dragway a few times. I have always been afraid to launch this vehicle due to the many horror stories I have read on numerous forums about transmission failure. So what I did was allow the clutch to take the abuse by slipping it and then once it catched I would let off and the car would launch smoothly.

I launced the car many times and never had a problem until recently. Over time it felt like the clutch was losing its initially force or jolt when it grabbed. But I figured this to be normal. Then I began to hear a chatter or a rubbing sound when I was in first and the clutch was to the floor and as I let off of it, and as the clutch was trying to grab the flywheel is only when you will hear it. It also did this in reverse. Beginning of 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, produced no sound whatsoever. Then recently it became louder and louder. Once I was in gear, everything was fine. Never had synchro or grinding issues. The car shifts perfect. First gear does have a whine along with reverse, but the sound from first started to become more and more apparant. Once again, never had any shifting issues or drivability issues.

Then one day I started to have even more problems. I would almost have to let off on the clutch pedal completely before it would engage, before I only had to let it up half way and it would catch. Not only did this worry me but I could feel what I assumed was the clutch slipping when I opened the throttle in low 2nd gear and the rpm's would jump as if the flywheel was loosing grip with the clutch then they would settle as if it finally caught. So naturally I am leaning towards clutch issues.

I have a buddy that works for exedy clutch here in belleville. He has an evo 8 as well. After telling him my dilemma, exedy took my car in and removed the transmission and are going to replace the clutch for free, labor and everything. EXEDY IS A GREAT COMPANY. This is where my vehicle is at now.

Here's the problem, the clutch that was on there had no signs of malfunction whatsoever. They are going to replace it anyways and put everything back together. Naturally I am worried. I cant imagine this being a transmission issue... the slipping, the noise only when engaging the clutch, never having any shifting issues or grinding or being locked out of a gear.

The last time a drove the vehicle which was monday it felt like the power wasnt being produced to the wheels, the motor sounds fine... boost is building, it just feels like a very weak clutch, but once again, it turns out this isnt the issue. I would greatly appreciate some expertise. Thank you. -Ken.

Last edited by undressesitself; Jun 28, 2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

I also have an exedy, but its a stage 3 carbon disk type. The disks are known to be noisier than stock. Mine is noisy but only when decelerating because it has no springs so the hub in between is emitting the noise but your stage 2 I think is also known to make those rubbing noises due to those cerametallic features. I'm pretty sure your tranny is just peachy. it is a strong piece and trust me , you'll feel it when its broken or something is wrong, but the noises will always be there. its all wheel drive and there is a lot of gears going many different ways.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:26 PM

you dont understand, its a terrible rubbing sound as the clutch is engaging, and now I have to let off on the clutch nearly all the way before it grabs, and now it feels like it is slipping which isnt the case because exedy called me today and said that the current clutch is fine.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 02:10 PM

I get the same rubbing noise and I'm running a act stage 2 I get the rubbing a lot when taking off on a incline.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Then one day I started to have even more problems. I would almost have to let off on the clutch pedal completely before it would engage, before I only had to let it up half way and it would catch. Not only did this worry me but I could feel what I assumed was the clutch slipping when I opened the throttle in low 2nd gear and the rpm's would jump as if the flywheel was loosing grip with the clutch then they would settle as if it finally caught. So naturally I am leaning towards clutch issues.

clearly the clutch was not adjusted correctly. when pedal engagement is high it could mean the TOB is holding pressure plate slightly open all the time. would caust these issues you describe.