Notices

09 RA engine noise ??

Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The owners manual talks about the injector noise from what I remember too.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

yea but its not the injectors imma hearing anymore...
Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Take the plastic cover off and touch the top of the valve cover with it running and see if it is vibrating in-time with the tick you're hearing. The valve-train can be quite noisy on these, as well, it just usually is more evident before the car warms up or if you use the wrong viscosity oil.

Same can be accomplished with the injector connectors to isolate which noise that is from the rest (I know you said you've got that one down, but for anyone else...)

I'd say put up a video, but they're terrible at providing accurate depictions of engine noises.
Old May 2, 2011, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

ok the sound is coming for behide cylinder one near the timing chain and mivec
Old Jun 17, 2011, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

I have a question about noises... When I'm just coasting with no gas then I press the gas, I hear some kind of click or shift. I don't switch gears, it's in the same gear. Is it the SST (and normal) (usually more noticeable in the lower gears)?

When riding around with a broken radio, you hear all kinds of good noises....
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

yup, turning off the car, idleing, slow rpms, downshifting, 1st or second gear going with
de-exceleration, all these for my make weird noises. Someits time i think the tranny if gonna give way. BUT when im pushing the car, the shifts are smooth, precise and consistant. This tranny sucks at slow speeds and makes ALL sorts of noises.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by evil03
ok the sound is coming for behide cylinder one near the timing chain and mivec
I can't believe I missed this post, sounds like a possible chain tensioner. Have you gotten any further with this?

Originally Posted by nmilsaps
I have a question about noises... When I'm just coasting with no gas then I press the gas, I hear some kind of click or shift. I don't switch gears, it's in the same gear. Is it the SST (and normal) (usually more noticeable in the lower gears)?
You're all good. Damn SS-T
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

I think it best that people, including myslef, should start uploading videos of the SST and ENGINE noises. This will give people the ability to compare noises.

I recommend trying to use an external microphone to capture the purity of the sound. I will try to make a video this coming weekend. I know Bryan has a video up somewhere. Lets make this a very useful link both with input and videos!

If we can get enough videos with good sound quality it may ease some people a little!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 06:26 PM

My RA makes many diferent noises, but everything is in perfect working conditions.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 03:10 PM

As far as I remember the engine sounds like it's gonna blow up since the very first day of the car (got experience with bmw only before, their engines also have some specific valve sounds).

I can hear mainly sounds of valves, I suppose, or injectors. Some sort of fast ticking. The question is WHEN it is time to start worrying? I've got an idea that the sound became more loud after installing GST basemap , but it may be just an illusion.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Okay, it's my turn for a post in the "crazy 4B11 noises" thread! Yes, I have no shame!

Here goes...

When you lot switch off your engines, do you get this weird "putta-putta" noise as it stops running?

It doesn't do it when the engine is cold (like if I just move the car to a different spot on the driveway). But after a decent drive, once warmed up, it makes this "putta-putta" sound every single time I switch off the ignition.

What is this noise? Am I just selective in my memory? Has it always done this? I'm listening for it every time now, and there it is.

Rich

PS. I'm swear I'm going to change my name to Farmer Jack, buy a straw hat and blue overalls, and drive around with a piece of hay sticking out my mouth. Howdy y'all, like my fancy tractor?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
Okay, it's my turn for a post in the "crazy 4B11 noises" thread! Yes, I have no shame!

Here goes...

When you lot switch off your engines, do you get this weird "putta-putta" noise as it stops running?

It doesn't do it when the engine is cold (like if I just move the car to a different spot on the driveway). But after a decent drive, once warmed up, it makes this "putta-putta" sound every single time I switch off the ignition.

What is this noise? Am I just selective in my memory? Has it always done this? I'm listening for it every time now, and there it is.

Rich

PS. I'm swear I'm going to change my name to Farmer Jack, buy a straw hat and blue overalls, and drive around with a piece of hay sticking out my mouth. Howdy y'all, like my fancy tractor?
No sir, mine does not. Speaking of farmers and tuning in Australia: I know y'all have propane-injected Holdens and such. Y'all propane-inject any Mitsubishi?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

With the amount of unusual noises this car makes, I've just stopped caring. I figure if it ever STOPS making an array of strange mechanic sounds, then I'm in trouble.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jasoob
With the amount of unusual noises this car makes, I've just stopped caring. I figure if it ever STOPS making an array of strange mechanic sounds, then I'm in trouble.
So true!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:10 AM

I'm glad I came across this thread. My car makes all kind of "strange" noises too, especially when cold. At first I have to admit that I was a little concerned but from what I read here it's normal. The car runs great and pulls strong so I figured as much.

When I was pulling out of the driveway the other morning on a cold start (29* F) my wife was looking at the car with a strange look. She said that thing makes all kind of weird noise. haha

As long as it's normal the noise doesn't bother me at all. Hell my wife's Sportster make some pretty crazy engine noises too. My pipes are too loud so I couldn't say if my Dyna does or not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 09 RA engine noise ??