Notices

Strange Engine Noise.. need some help diagnosing

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2011, 03:41 PM
AMT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Reason #5423 not to listen to them. There is no torque converter.
That's what was relayed to me by the dealer service manager. I thought it didn't sound right XD
Old May 10, 2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
Reason #5423 not to listen to them. There is no torque converter.
Glad to know that Mitsubishi know there cars so well.
torque converter LOL.Atleast you know your cars fine.

Last edited by NICK(PMR); May 10, 2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old May 10, 2011, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Let me guess, you talked with a service writer or manager, not a technician?
Old May 10, 2011, 05:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad that you figured this out. My car makes almost more noise than that. Then again, I have a vastly different setup.

Edit: My first thought was that Bryan tweaked the Idle RPM, and that that caused the increased noise. However, I am a tooning n00b and am not even sure that you can do that. I still have an idle screw on my Eclipse, but then again, it is a hard-line TB.

Last edited by NFSLancerRA; May 10, 2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old May 10, 2011, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is true..sadly. Every dealership I have been to doesn't know what they are doing. for instance...they had my car for a month...said it needed a new turbo gave it back to me and it drove the same...they refused to take it back saying its normal to be slower because its not an evo...this was slower than my NA lancer I had before for a brief time. turned out it was IC piping that blew off...this was the problem the entire time. I had to pull off the bumper and look at the LICP way deep down to find it. bah! They have diagnosed all my problems incorrectly on my ralliart since i've had it and I have ended up fixing all the issues myself. I will never take it to the dealer again. Something good came out of it though...i learned A LOT about the car.
Old May 11, 2011, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jasoob
Does anyone else have slight idle bouncing though? I have the Boost Pill 93 Oct basemap.

If I let it idle (even warmed up), it tends to not be a very steady idle. I'm talking a small discrepancy, like 100 rpm movement (could be the rad, fans, transmission, etc...).

I also get that rpm movement. around 100-150 rpm. Even when the engined is warmed.
Old May 11, 2011, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Good to know. I guess it's a typical thing with the cars.
Old May 11, 2011, 06:28 PM
AMT

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
Let me guess, you talked with a service writer or manager, not a technician?
Yeah
Old May 21, 2011, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Ive been listening to my car lately now that the weather is nice and i have the windows down. I have noticed that my engine is equally as noisy, with the same rattle sound.

But i would like to add that when is first gear around 20-25km and i let go of the gas, while the car revs down, i hear a large amount of "chattering". I noticed it a little before, but now its a very distinguised sound.

Does anyone else have this sound occur in their car while down reving in 1st gear?

I have noticed that its mainly first gear.
Old May 21, 2011, 02:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
yup it's normal
Old May 21, 2011, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

At slow speeds our cars make a ton of 'weird' noises. If any of the previous cars I've owned made these same noises, they would have already blown up
But on the flip side (the fun part), the harder you push the car, the more it settles into this beautifully melodic soundtrack, as all the various parts are working together. I took my friend out for a spin last night; normal roughness at low speeds, but then we got on the freeway. His words not mine "sounds f-ing sexy"
Those same 'prior cars' I had mentioned could never sound that good!
Old May 21, 2011, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Hahaha i agree, the car sounds beautiful WOT on the highway. Theres a lot of talk about changing the tranny fluid earlier than what Mitsu recommends. So when i heard there was more noise it made me ask the question "is it normal" lol.

I will be getting the fluid changed by 28,000 latest. Im @ 26.5k now.

thank you for the unput!

Originally Posted by sstevojr
At slow speeds our cars make a ton of 'weird' noises. If any of the previous cars I've owned made these same noises, they would have already blown up
But on the flip side (the fun part), the harder you push the car, the more it settles into this beautifully melodic soundtrack, as all the various parts are working together. I took my friend out for a spin last night; normal roughness at low speeds, but then we got on the freeway. His words not mine "sounds f-ing sexy"
Those same 'prior cars' I had mentioned could never sound that good!
Old May 21, 2011, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

OH WOW!
I would definitely change the fluid asap if you are at ~30K miles (not KM, right; thats usually our northern neighbors). The way most of us drive our cars, I will be sticking to a 15K guideline, and for increased track duty (like I'm doing this summer) ever 10K miles. There is a pretty noticeably change in behavior just from changing the fluid
Old May 21, 2011, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OH WOW!
I would definitely change the fluid asap if you are at ~30K miles (not KM, right; thats usually our northern neighbors). The way most of us drive our cars, I will be sticking to a 15K guideline, and for increased track duty (like I'm doing this summer) ever 10K miles. There is a pretty noticeably change in behavior just from changing the fluid
im nearly at 29k miles, i should change mine soon. and OP sounds completely normal
Old May 21, 2011, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Almost 27,000 kilomteres, not miles. So im still ok for a couple k. I will get it done as soon as i have the extra dough to fork out!

OH WOW!

Quick Reply: Strange Engine Noise.. need some help diagnosing