Notices

CBRD RAD Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
..... I believe he even said that it really wouldn't even be worth producing since even the stock turbo can push peak torque early enough that the RAD "full" wouldn't be worth the extra cost over the standard RAD, not to mention the headaches it would cause with the SS-T.

This is all from a fading memory, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Exactly right
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slee256
Has anybody found out for sure whether the stock injectors need to be upgraded when installing the CBRD RAD turbo? I've heard mixed opinions on this, and was hoping for a definitive answer.
If you want to get the most out of the turbo and still maintain reasonable duty cycle then yes, you need to upgrade. Every single bolt on stock turbo X I tuned was pushing the limits of the injectors on pump gas. (as in 95+ % duty cycle at redline) This was back before the days of 25psi pump gas tunes too, more like 23 - 24psi back then.

If you just want solid X turbo power then no you don't need to upgrade the injectors I don't think but you will need a competent tuner to make sure your in a comfortable zone.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Preliminary Numbers

I just got the call that my Cobb pro tune with the CBRD RAD turbo is done, and the numbers are right about where I expected they should be.

Preliminary dyno numbers are 292 AWHP, 302 AWTQ making about 25PSI.

I know the injectors never exceeded their duty cycle, I'll get more precise information when I pick up the car tomorrow.

It should be fun driving her home from the tuner!

Last edited by RideSober; Jun 10, 2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good numbers.

There is no way that Max IDC should have been reached. I am pretty sure that I have sorted out what is wrong, but I will generate some hard data before out and out blasting a vendor on this site.

That being said, it is one of two possible things that could be wrong with the car. Either way, it is going to be a shame for someone.

Last edited by NFSLancerRA; Jun 10, 2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 03:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
Good numbers.

There is no way that Max IDC should have been reached. I am pretty sure that I have sorted out what is wrong, but I will generate some hard data before out and out blasting a vendor on this site.

That being said, it is one of two possible things that could be wrong with the car. Either way, it is going to be a shame for someone.
Let me guess, you had a UR inline fuel filter
Old Jun 10, 2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by RideSober
I just got the call that my Cobb pro tune with the CBRD RAD turbo is done, and the numbers are right about where I expected they should be.

Preliminary numbers on a stingy Mustang dyno are 292 AWHP, 302 AWTQ making about 25PSI.

I know the injectors never exceeded their duty cycle, I'll get more precise information when I pick up the car tomorrow.

Are you getting it tuned from CBRD? Or someone local?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Preliminary numbers on a stingy Mustang dyno are 292 AWHP, 302 AWTQ making about 25PSI.

Do you have an AP? If So I would love to see a log of your injector duty cycle at wot in 3rd gear pulled to redline.... I'm willing to bet the duty cycle is over 90% at 7,000 rpm.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 05:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by razorlab
Let me guess, you had a UR inline fuel filter
Close.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
coughpumpkitcough there have been quite a few issues reported lately, which is why i've been pinching pennies for the blaqops kit
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

I also have heard of some 'issues' with the UR Fuel Pump Kit.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:50 AM
ltn

Ridesober, any updates on how the car feels?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

While the Mach V dyno results may not seem that impressive at 292 AWHP and 302 AWTQ (on a very humid and blistering hot 100 degree Summer day), the CBRD RAD Turbo added a serious impact to the "seat of the pants" dynomometer!

Acceleration is DRAMATICALLY improved over the Cobb Stage 2 tune I was previously running that has been shown to put out 262AWHP and 310AWTQ on the Cobb Tuning Mustang Dyno.

I would venture a bet that in head to head acceleration evaluations, this car would now surprise quite a few stock EVO owners...

I am done with my modifications, and am looking to move on to my next project. Check my signature below, and SERIOUS PARTIES please contact me if you are interested in information about my car.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:51 AM
ltn

So I'm assuming you didn't need to upgrade the injectors or fuel pump for those numbers. Just trying to gauge what I'm going to need to do this myself. Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Cobb actually makes their own fuel kit to go with the walbro 255. Its better and way less expensive. Its just not advertised on their site.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

While the Mach V dyno results may not seem that impressive at 292 AWHP and 302 AWTQ (on a very humid and blistering hot 100 degree Summer day), the CBRD RAD Turbo added a serious impact to the "seat of the pants" dynomometer!

Acceleration is DRAMATICALLY improved over the Cobb Stage 2 tune I was previously running that has been shown to put out 262AWHP and 310AWTQ on the Cobb Tuning Mustang Dyno.

I would venture a bet that in head to head acceleration evaluations, this car would now surprise quite a few stock EVO owners...

I am done with my modifications, and am looking to move on to my next project. Check my signature below, and SERIOUS PARTIES please contact me if you are interested in information about my car.
Well if you ever decide to part out those parts for any reason I call dibs on the RAD turbo, UR downpipe & cat!

Quick Reply: CBRD RAD Turbo