Notices

4WD Service Required???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always wonder if this causes the failure in my ACD pump.

" Various problems plague the ACD / AYC pump (Hydraulic Unit) but most have to do with something called "Galvanic Corrosion". This occurs when two dissimilar metals with a fluid layer in between them form corrosion. There is no real solution to this problem in terms of preventative maintenance except changing the fluid in the Transfer Case and Rear Differential (gear oil and ATF) more often. DO NOT service/change/drain the fluid in the AYC / ACD pump in terms of preventative maintenance. Keep it at the correct level and make sure it's not brown and smelly (indicates BIG failure) and your good. "
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:17 PM

Mine is definitely the ACD pump. I think I am going to send it to ACD-tuning to be rebuilt. (Anyone sent them thier pump befor?) But that is going to be a big hassle. So I am thinking of waiting until after winter. However, that would leave my system crippled when it is most needed.

Anyone know how crippled it will leave me in terms of snow driving?

Also, I am able to switch the ACD functions (tarmac, grave, snow) for the first couple minutes. Is that going to really do anything if the pump is bad?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:07 AM

I am selling rebuild kits for the Ralliart and EVO X pumps. The kits are running $200. We can also rebuild pumps for guys in Canada. We’re in the GTA, so you can even pick up your kit or drop off your pump for service, if you’re close enough. If anyone is interested, I can provide more details. Here is a link for the Evo kit, but as I mentioned, we have Ralliart kits too. Cheers!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mitsubishi-EV...77804b&vxp=mtr
Old May 8, 2013, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by GTE28
Anyone else experience the SERVICE REQUIRED message when the ambient temp outside was really hot?
Today it was about 40C (or 104F) and my car was parked outside at work all day. When I fired up the car at 5pm (still hot outside!), the SERVICE REQUIRED message immediately went on. After driving it for 40mins on the highway (gentle speeds) I parked the car about 20mins (let it idle for a few minutes to cool the turbo) in the shade. When I fired up the car again, the light went on after a few blocks. I parked it at home for the next 5 hours and the ambient temp dropped to 23C (73F). Fired up the car and drove it for 15mins with no SERVICE REQUIRED message coming on! This is only the second time the message has come on. First time was last week when the ambient temperature was just as hot, if not a few degrees hotter.
My RA is a '09 with relatively low mileage, about 67000km, driven gently. No change in vehicle behaviour when the service message is on.

Anyone know if the AWD ECU reflash includes hot temp issues also or is experiencing similar issus when its really hot?

Thanks.
that happen 2me yesterday it was 84 outside drove 5mins it came on shut engine restart car came on 5mins later drove with it on 40mins back home left to cool down for 5hrs never came back on
Old May 20, 2013, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

This 4WD SERVICE REQUIRED LIGHT never came back on for me..
I went to the dealer awhile back and they told me they found nothing wrong with it... and i had to pay $150 for doing jack ****!!

But yea since then.. it never came back on... so i dont know whats wrong or if the ACD pump is out/ already out....

My car drives perfectly fine... i dont feel anything different...

As far as Mitsubishi warranty... its totally BS!!!!
Old May 11, 2015, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by sstevojr
If the light goes off when you re-start the car, it's a fluid viscosity warning. If the light stays on after re-starting the car its a pump issue. (Per Owner's Manual, just not verbatim).
I personally have had this light go off 3 times. Each time my heart jumped into my throat (totally understand), pulled over, re-started the car, everything was fine). The one other thing I've heard that can set this off is if you have worn out tires on the front/back and place new tires on the other half of the car. The larger diameter of brand new tires can make the AWD system ask "WTF?"
Can it be because I'm running smaller tires on the back? I only have 10 k mile had a tire blow out changed them and then light came on
Old May 11, 2015, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evo_d33jayy
Can it be because I'm running smaller tires on the back? I only have 10 k mile had a tire blow out changed them and then light came on
Yes, I believe that can cause it. You need all 4 tires to be the same size with the Ralliart's AWD system.
Old May 13, 2015, 04:31 PM

Hopefully not the AYC pump but it sounds like it. Mitsubishi did just FINALLY send out a manufacturer recall / warranty extension on them and I got mine replaced for free. Using it as my DD so I want to relocate it to the trunk before winter comes again.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 04:12 AM

All wheel drive service required light

All wheel drive service required light keeps going on and off. Only goes on when I'm driving 50-60 mph on the highway. Brought it to the dealership they replace the pump and ECU but that didn't fix the problem the light still comes on. What can the problem be!!!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 06:53 AM

Battery

Originally Posted by Mike Scat
All wheel drive service required light keeps going on and off. Only goes on when I'm driving 50-60 mph on the highway. Brought it to the dealership they replace the pump and ECU but that didn't fix the problem the light still comes on. What can the problem be!!!
I have a 2010 GSR and for about a year, my local mechanic kept saying that I needed a new battery 'cos he was getting a low volt read, but the dealership said the batter was fine. About a month ago, the "4wd system service required" light started coming on when I started car; it would go away in about a minute. The solution was the battery; got a new one and haven't seen the light come on since the replacement (over two weeks ago). I also know that if the light stays on, then you need to ensure that all 4 tires are of the same age. I experienced that as well, a couple of years ago, when I got two new front tires the light came on and stayed on. The dealership contacted Mitsubishi and I replaced the back tires as well and that resolved the problem.

Last edited by DrivingIsFun; Oct 16, 2017 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Oct 18, 2017, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
A nuance here... Not tires of the same age, but diameter.

I accept that new rear tires fixed the light in your case, however, worn rear tires "should not" have triggered the light.

The system will sense if the spare tire is mounted (smaller diameter tire/rotates faster) - it will suddenly have different rotational speed than the other wheels & trigger a light.

If the rears are more worn than fronts (same wheel/tire combo) it should not trigger a light. The difference in rotational speed signals between a new tire and a worn one is miniscule (and ignored/filtered out).
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:52 AM

Tires...

I had the same light come on this past summer, mine came on and off because all my tires were not the same, throwing off the AWD system.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 05:39 AM

Hi
I am also facing same issue , how to solve the issue please

Last edited by klnr1995; Mar 26, 2018 at 06:06 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 05:47 AM

Hi Trail Brake,

How to solve the issue ? pls tell me steps
Old Mar 27, 2018, 07:53 AM

I no longer own this car, but have received a letter regarding the warranty extension on the pump failures. Please check with your dealer.

Quick Reply: 4WD Service Required???