Notices

Dealer says Exhaust Manifold is cracked....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spekil
Mind u, goodwill is only given for special situation. For example, if you've been loyal to your dealership which means, having them to rip u off for all the preventive maintenance, then most likely it will be under goodwill. However, if you do the opposite like me, don't ever think about goodwill!
This is only partially true. If you contact mitsu canada then they can goodwill it to keep a customer. I work at a dealer and see it all the time. The person that cries the loudest gets their way.... Pretty pathetic

Originally Posted by Dedicated5.0
Wouldn't the exhaust manifold be covered under the government mandated 100k mile emissions warranty?
No ... Only if it was connectes to the cat...
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:10 AM

thanks for the tips and trying to help out..

going to the my mechanic today.. we'll see what he says...

i'll try calling mitsubishi as well and see what they say...

i'll keep you guys updated.. it might help someone else with a similar problem

EDIT: I called Mitsubishi Canada, and they are absolutely useless! they said they will support any decision made by the dealership and if i want another opinion i gotta go to another dealership... she also talked to the warranty department and she said they told her to get me to talk to the dealership to see what is covered and what is not..

Last edited by johentie; Jul 31, 2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:43 AM

It should be covered under the power train warranty. As long the milaage is still good, they shouldn't give you a hard time. I would contact Gavin @ Markham Mitsubishi, he won't feed you some bs. lol @ Laks for hating Markham. Could be worse bro.. aka Scarborough Mitsubishi.

Update: Seems like the Exhaust Manifold is only covered by the 3 - year / 60,000 km New Vehicle Limited Warranty

Last edited by mikeszutu; Jul 31, 2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by mikeszutu
It should be covered under the power train warranty. As long the milaage is still good, they shouldn't give you a hard time. I would contact Gavin @ Markham Mitsubishi, he won't feed you some bs. lol @ Laks for hating Markham. Could be worse bro.. aka Scarborough Mitsubishi.
yah i just called markham cause i bought my car there...

i dunno who i spoke to but he knew about TLC etc.. he said he's never heard of a Cracked Exhaust Manifold on an RA..

and he said that my warranty that would cover the Exhaust Manifold is expired when he looked up my file..

so no help there... ; < what a **** off!!! 3 year old car at $40K purchase price and i gotta spend another $2K on it already!

the high maintenance price i'm willing to pay.. but stuff that isn't suppose to break .. that breaks is a **** off!especially cause it's not aftermarket and all maintenance was done through Mitsubishi!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by johentie
yah i just called markham cause i bought my car there...

i dunno who i spoke to but he knew about TLC etc.. he said he's never heard of a Cracked Exhaust Manifold on an RA..

and he said that my warranty that would cover the Exhaust Manifold is expired when he looked up my file..

so no help there... ; < what a **** off!!! 3 year old car at $40K purchase price and i gotta spend another $2K on it already!

the high maintenance price i'm willing to pay.. but stuff that isn't suppose to break .. that breaks is a **** off!especially cause it's not aftermarket and all maintenance was done through Mitsubishi!
Did they showed you the cracks when they pulled it off the car?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:07 AM

Did they showed you the cracks when they pulled it off the car?
nope.. they just checked it under the car.. they didn't take off anything at Dixie..

i asked to see it, but they said i'm not allowed in the back..

i am going to my mechanic in a little bit to get him to confirm it .. he said don;t fork out the money until you know..

he said it's the part that costs a lot + the labour at the dealership.. he sid he can help on the labour part if he needs to replace it ..
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by johentie
nope.. they just checked it under the car.. they didn't take off anything at Dixie..

i asked to see it, but they said i'm not allowed in the back..

i am going to my mechanic in a little bit to get him to confirm it .. he said don;t fork out the money until you know..

he said it's the part that costs a lot + the labour at the dealership.. he sid he can help on the labour part if he needs to replace it ..
Yeah, I would honesty get it check to make sure that it's crack with your own eyes and, it's not just a simple gasket replacement.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
To find the leak yourself...

Buy Seafoam[tm] (you will use 1/3 the can) and with engine idling pull the BOV vacuum line and insert it into the can (helps to have someone keep the revs up). Then let off the throttle and Let the fluid stall the engine. Wait ten minutes and then start up (it may be hard to get going) . Smoke will billow out the exhaust (all that WOT/running rich carbon going away, eh? )
Look for the smoke leak under the hood - check under the car...

Good luck!

(and pour another 1/3 can in the fuel tank to clean injectors...)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

It's gonna be more cost effective to just go ahead and go with an aftermarket one.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

for 1700 might as well piece together a x swap
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:51 PM

Update: Seems like the Exhaust Manifold is only covered by the 3 - year / 60,000 km New Vehicle Limited Warranty

powertrain warranty covers only parts that touch oil
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gaabbee
for 1700 might as well piece together a x swap

True! It's like a blessing in disguise coz your car would be completely different beast after the x swap!
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:45 AM

so here is the final update:

went to my mechanic and he opened up the bay and took out the heat shield and got to the manifold.. and right smack across the top there is a crack .. funny thing is he said there is no way the dealer could have known 100% sure if there was a crack cause it was covered by the heat shield.. so they guessed! but it was a lucky guess

thanks to "silthos" for PM'ing me and saying he has a stock Manifold lying around... gave me a good deal and even shipped it UPS next day..

saved me $600+ in the part cost! thanks ; >
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:08 PM

Take it to Zorro muffler in Mississauga. They do all my exhaust work. They have great prices and have i think 6 bays. I have never had to wait. I just show up and they get to work. $1700 is bs. You could have a pretty kick a$$ after market one for that. I didnt pay that much for my Ultimate racing exhaust I bought my UR exhaust then brought it to Zorro and they installed it in like 30 minutes.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:10 PM

oops, i am too late

Quick Reply: Dealer says Exhaust Manifold is cracked....