Notices

Sluggish/Shaky Acceleration/Shifting

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sluggish/Shaky Acceleration/Shifting

Hello Everyone,

I've purchased my 09 RA with 83xxxKM on it. When I got the car, it was driving very lean at WOT and would stop accelerating at 5k and slowly climb up to 6800. I cleaned the MAF, replaced all the stock relays as well. I ended up finding that the turbo inlet hose was loose as hell so I tightened it and voila, it would boost properly, but now it seems to lag in the high RPMs in 4rd-6th.. I've heard spark plugs are the culprit here, but I'm also worried it may related to clutch wear/bad seals in the SST. It actually feels like a non-turbo'd car in 4th to 6th.

Now, I also have another concern. When I drive in D normal and the car is in 6th gear, around 60-70KM/h, I can clearly hear a knocking/rumbling sound coming from under the hood that happens in two second intervals. It only seems to do it when the car has a hard time accelerating over 60km/h in 6th gear, before dropping into 5th(with proper pressure on the gas pedal that is). Any ideas here? This sounds is EASILY heard as well when accelerating during shifts as well. Almost as if the engine itself is rocking back and forth... I don't know how to properly diagnose this issue, if it is one..

Secondly, my ACD pump died on me. I started to notice the sluggish feeling right before I was hit from behind by some stupid ***** who doesn't know how to use her brakes. That could have also killed the pump. I have the worst ****ing luck EVER. Luckily I'm extremely mechanically inclined so I'm going to rebuild the pump myself, but it's hard to diagnose engine/SST issues when without the pump, because the car feels and drives like **** when driving. I should also point out that the previous owner only replaced two tires so my backs have no tread while my fronts are brand new. I've heard that this could cause sluggish conditions with the ABS and

Lastly, the TC-SST. When I accelerate from a dead stop, 80% of the time, the engine revvs up to 3-4 seconds before the clutches really engage and allow the car the move at normal speeds. When I come to a stop sign and continue to accelerate after a ROLLING stop(clutches already engaged), it accelerates much smoother than when at a dead stop. Sometimes when approaching a red light and the light turns green, when I press on the gas pedal, the car takes a second to register this and I get a slight jerk sometimes when the clutches engage as well.. Is this normal or is this a sign of possible SST clutch pressure failure? Another issue I'm having is the rev matching in 1st-3rd gear when down shifting. I usually drive in sport manual and I've noticed that the engine/sst will revmatch perfectly sometimes and sometimes it will not. When it doesnt match properly, it gets a bit jerky when down shifting when coming to a stop. I've ALREADY logged the p183d code(shift form 2 malfunction) when downshifting from 6th to 5th on the highway, the clutches would not engage and then the dreaded service req light came on. My local dealership tested it and told me the SST is operating fine, but I have no confidence in their techs at all. I've heard a dirty MAF will cause this too.. Sometimes shifting is a bit sluggish even in sport manual, but I notice this when the SST is cold. After driving for 5 minutes or so, it heats up enough to operate perfectly, but I do still have slight rev matching issues.. It's not a major problem, but a VERY ANNOYING issue, and I'm totally paranoid this car is going to die once I get over the 100k warranty...

I'm at 91xxx now and It's almost time to do the SST fluid and filter change so I will update this thread once I've done so. Hopefully the sluggish SST is only because of the fluid and filter. I've also contacted ACD-Tuning I'm going to be changing the spark plugs this week and I will also update again for this as well. Wish me luck!

Last edited by sirchumpalot; Oct 9, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
So you actually have a 100k warranty, and are currently at 91k?

With the issue above, I would pack a tent, sleeping bag, a stove and a lot of package rice... and go camp out at the dealership. You kind of need to spend the next however-long living in their back pockets, hassling them, making a pain of yourself, etc.

This car sounds like it needs a lot of stuff attended to. Best to pick the low-hanging fruit with the warranty (if possible), and only attack the jobs yourself that you absolutely have to.

Sorry to hear you're having hassles like this...

Rich
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:07 AM

Initially when I press down on the accelerator, the engine revs as normal and the clutches grab on as normal, but much slower than other ralliarts i've tested. That issue isn't a big one for me because it's not a big deal, but this is how a DEALERSHIP sold me the car. Even when I brought it to them for themk to test, they told me everything was okay and still charged me the $130 for "inspection".

The car does move right away, but accelerates slowly until it finally kicks into gear. Sometimes when I put a bit more pressure on the pedal, the car launches forward and when I shift into second, its not smooth at all. I've read a lot about the car being jerky in first and second when shifting and simply touching the gas pedal, so I think thats normal.

Scarborough Mitsubishi is the best dealership in the greater toronto area so I'm going to go to them. Toronto Lancer Club has promoted this dealership and has actually made them a mod friendly dealership. I think, based on the condition of my car, that it was heavily modded and treated like ****. I wish I knew all this when I bought it, but I didn't know anything about these cars. Hopefully Scarborough will be able to help me. I wear their t-shirts in public and to events..

Hopefully the TC-SST fluid and filter change will help the sluggishness, so I'm going to get a flush and fluid/filter change and do all of my 96000k maintenance. If the car still drives badly, I will do exactly what you said. I will set up camp in their parking lot in the middle of the winter.

Last edited by sirchumpalot; Oct 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Sending you a PM on this sirchumpalot.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:35 PM

I've also been informed that because my alignment is off, it could be giving me shaky symptoms as well.. is this true?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:45 PM

I can't believe they charged you to look at the car, I would raise hell with that dealership and demand a refund. Its obvious something is wrong with the transmission, maybe something as simple as a sensor..

I don't think your alignment being off a little bit would make the car shake, that sounds more like a tire being unbalanced or damaged. If its off quite a bit then yes it could make it shake though.

Best of luck in getting your problems fixed!
Old Oct 8, 2012, 01:39 PM

I couldn't believe it either. They would do it again if I gave them a chance. They tried it a second time when I went in to get MY ACD pump checked, but I told them I'm not giving them ****. The mistake they made was giving me my keys back before having me sign the bill. The pump is DEAD, yet they insisted that it wasnt and that it's a software/ECU issue. They simply REFLASHED it to get the CEL to go away. Cheap mother****ers. They'll all be out of jobs in the future if they continue to do business they way they do..

Of course they were apologizing to me left right and center, and pleaded with me to give them good reviews on their survey. I still haven't filled that survey out because I simply don't care. Not worth my time to sh*t talk them.

Last edited by sirchumpalot; Oct 8, 2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sirchumpalot
I couldn't believe it either. They would do it again if I gave them a chance. They tried it a second time when I went in to get MY ACD pump checked, but I told them I'm not giving them ****. The mistake they made was giving me my keys back before having me sign the bill. The pump is DEAD, yet they insisted that it wasnt and that it's a software/ECU issue. They simply REFLASHED it to get the CEL to go away. Cheap mother****ers. They'll all be out of jobs in the future if they continue to do business they way they do..

Of course they were apologizing to me left right and center, and pleaded with me to give them good reviews on their survey. I still haven't filled that survey out because I simply don't care. Not worth my time to sh*t talk them.

i think you should fill that survey up. that's one of the best way to get back to them. For sure, they'll lose something from mitsu canada
Old Oct 8, 2012, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Couple things:

First, your ACD pump being shot will NOT give you driveability issues. All it does it control the variable lockup in the t-case. Without a functional pump (or without a pump installed at all) the car will drive normally as though it were a standard t-case without custom lockup features. Mine has been out for the last 6 months, or so, and you wouldn't know it but for the fact that the indicator pops up every time I start the car.

Second, don't wait for your SST fluid/filter service any longer than you absolutely have to. If you are able to get it done tomorrow, DO IT. Just because it isn't due until your next maintenance absolutely does not mean it has been performed as per the schedule up to this point and a lot of your symptoms can easily be related to fluid concerns.

If you have the service performed at the dealership, be sure to have them clear all learned conditions/data so the SST can re-learn all of the shift points with the fresh fluid. It may feel a bit herky-jerky at first, but it will smooth itself to accommodate your personal driving habits, kind of like a new car.

Third, is the car completely stock now? The fact that you had loose charge pipe components very strongly indicates that the car has been tampered with and it may be in your best interests to get ahold of a local tuner or a fellow member here (hopefully with a tactrix cable) who can go over things with you, check to make sure you have an OEM or aftermarket boost pill installed and that you have a stock ECU map (or appropriately modified map, depending on installed components) loaded onto your pcm. A proper boost-leak test would also be a very good idea.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 06:46 PM

OK, so I was only quickly reading through this because I have come across a problem sort of like this. It just started tonight and at first I thought it was my imagination but in 4th gear (only one it does it in so far) the car seems to have some trouble accelerating. I have an 09 with 52,720 miles on the car and the only mod is an exhaust. What happens is when I'm in 4th gear, the trans almost seems to slip. I found out that it starts at at least 2,500 and it won't have power for a second, jump a few hundred rpms, won't have power, jump a few hundred more, and so on. Anyone got any ideas on what may be the problem or should I just take it to the dealer? I have no lights on or anything. Doesn't even really seem to be causing any drive-ability problems except for the slight stall.

Note: I didn't notice this problem when the trans was cold. Only when it warmed up.

Last edited by nmlovano; Oct 9, 2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Added note
Old Oct 9, 2012, 07:48 PM

My car is doing this from 4th gear and up. Seems up boost to 6800RPM instantly in 1st to 3rd, but lags really hard in all other gears. I've been thinking it could be fuel flow and the car is simply running lean, but I've been told that at high loads, the car cannot accelerate as smooth due to mucked up spark plugs too. My new plugs should be here tomorrow and I will also update on this too..

Some people have also run into this problem due to a faulty MAF sensor as well. See the linked thread

http://30-130.com/showthread.php?t=414144&page=1

Originally Posted by nmlovano
OK, so I was only quickly reading through this because I have come across a problem sort of like this. It just started tonight and at first I thought it was my imagination but in 4th gear (only one it does it in so far) the car seems to have some trouble accelerating. I have an 09 with 52,720 miles on the car and the only mod is an exhaust. What happens is when I'm in 4th gear, the trans almost seems to slip. I found out that it starts at at least 2,500 and it won't have power for a second, jump a few hundred rpms, won't have power, jump a few hundred more, and so on. Anyone got any ideas on what may be the problem or should I just take it to the dealer? I have no lights on or anything. Doesn't even really seem to be causing any drive-ability problems except for the slight stall.

Note: I didn't notice this problem when the trans was cold. Only when it warmed up.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 07:58 PM

My car is doing this from 4th gear and up. Seems up boost to 6800RPM instantly in 1st to 3rd, but lags really hard in all other gears. I've been thinking it could be fuel flow and the car is simply running lean, but I've been told that at high loads, the car cannot accelerate as smooth due to mucked up spark plugs too. My new plugs should be here tomorrow and I will also update on this too..

Some people have also run into this problem due to a faulty MAF sensor as well. See the linked thread

http://30-130.com/showthread.php?t=414144&page=1
Mine's only in 4th though and when the trans is warm. That's why I'm thinking it's a trans problem.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 08:10 PM

I've seen some reports of people having trouble with the clutches grabbing on properly. They've related their issues to a loss of internal pressure in the SST, but mitsu won't do anything about it until it starts throwing codes. The stock seals on the SST suck
Old Oct 9, 2012, 08:14 PM

I've seen some reports of people having trouble with the clutches grabbing on properly. They've related their issues to a loss of internal pressure in the SST, but mitsu won't do anything about it until it starts throwing codes. The stock seals on the SST suck
Ah, this is something I didn't think about. That is what sucks about my situation. No codes thrown One of my buddies suggested just swapping the trans for a GSR 5 speed lol.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
Couple things:

First, your ACD pump being shot will NOT give you driveability issues. All it does it control the variable lockup in the t-case. Without a functional pump (or without a pump installed at all) the car will drive normally as though it were a standard t-case without custom lockup features. Mine has been out for the last 6 months, or so, and you wouldn't know it but for the fact that the indicator pops up every time I start the car.

Second, don't wait for your SST fluid/filter service any longer than you absolutely have to. If you are able to get it done tomorrow, DO IT. Just because it isn't due until your next maintenance absolutely does not mean it has been performed as per the schedule up to this point and a lot of your symptoms can easily be related to fluid concerns.

If you have the service performed at the dealership, be sure to have them clear all learned conditions/data so the SST can re-learn all of the shift points with the fresh fluid. It may feel a bit herky-jerky at first, but it will smooth itself to accommodate your personal driving habits, kind of like a new car.

Third, is the car completely stock now? The fact that you had loose charge pipe components very strongly indicates that the car has been tampered with and it may be in your best interests to get ahold of a local tuner or a fellow member here (hopefully with a tactrix cable) who can go over things with you, check to make sure you have an OEM or aftermarket boost pill installed and that you have a stock ECU map (or appropriately modified map, depending on installed components) loaded onto your pcm. A proper boost-leak test would also be a very good idea.
The car has been completely stock since I purchased it. When I found the inlet hose was loose, I realized how much more likely this car was modded to the **** and then simply returned to stock and then sold..

Second, by a proper boost leak test, do you mean with a tester hooked up to the turbo inlet? I've heard of bad smoking issues and possibly damaging the internal seals in the turbo. What do you suggest?

I took the car up the street to the bank today and it was driving great, but when I started her up again in the parking lot and drove home, she was jerky and was lagging in 5k+ RPM again. This is really making me point towards a possible MAF sensor malfunction now. I'm going to test a friends MAF tomorrow. I will update

Quick Reply: Sluggish/Shaky Acceleration/Shifting