Notices

Engine Knock Help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Knock Help

So I've had my 2010 Ralliart for about a month now. Purchased with about 31k on it, I'm now up to 32k. Havent done an oil or SST transmission change yet. I only have a HKS drop in filter that I installed about a week ago with no problems. (and yes i made sure the clips on the bottom were connected)
I live in Flagstaff AZ, the weather is about 25-30 F.
Also runnng on 91 octance which is the highest we have here.

At first the knocking was barely audible with my music on and just normal chattering the engine has. After I turned the music off, the knocking was very loud.

It doesnt knock when I'm Park or Neutral.

When in drive automatic/normal and I press the accelerator I hear a slow knocking like a piston then as i gradually increase speed the knocking increases in sound and gets faster when I brake the knocking is barely there.

If anyone could help point out the problem or how bad it is I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:47 PM

Also I havent checked the oil level yet because its dark out and I live in an Apartment, but first thing tommrow I'll check if I need an oil change if that matters.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, just to request clarification first...

Does the rate/frequency of the sound change with ROAD speed, or ENGINE speed?

Rich
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:02 AM

Engine speed.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:57 AM

Some member from a different forum (club ralliart) said it could be that I'm running 91 instead of 93, but could it really cause that much knocking? I was pretty low on gas when it did start to knock. I haven't been able to start it again because its pouring outside and I don't feel like getting drenched
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

No, look, that advice was likely because you're using the word "knock" to try and describe the sound you are hearing. That word is normally associated with detonation, "knock sensors", pinging, etc. etc. Fuel octane is generally understood to mean a measure of the fuel's knock resistance... hence the connection someone made.

If it's a sound like an insane ball bearing house party inside your engine (high-pitched noise, like metallic stones being kicked up and hitting metal parts), that's pinging, which means "knock", which means irregular combustion in-cylinder.

But that doesn't occur rhythmically, it doesn't have a "rate" that rises with engine speed, and it doesn't actually sound like something knocking against something else.

So based on your description, it's not "actual" knock. So it's not fuel-related.

I reckon you should get the vehicle to a dealer/qualified mechanic/etc - get it checked out.

Rich
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
If it's a spun bearing, the sound would increase with engine revs in neutral or drive.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:55 AM

@Richardjh thank you for the clarification. Honestly it's more of a clunk sound, deeper than a ping. That clunks are tied to me pressing the accelerator and its very rhythmic in the sound.
But there isn't any check engine lights or warning lights flashing for that matter.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Cool. Let us know what the mechanics find...

Rich
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:44 AM

I was the one who mentioned the lower octane problem but after reading a little more closely you said it dosnt "knock" while in neutral or park. Does this including reving it in neutral and park? If it was internal engine it would knock regardless if it was in park or neutral. So I think your safe there. But if it does it while in gear it would point me to the tranny, or diff something in the regards to while the car is moving or that area. being that it speeds up with accel and slows down with braking. try tapping the gas ( while e brake is on)and get the revs up not to high 2k will do to notice a difference if knocking doesn't increase with revs then most likly not the engine. but you would be wise to just take it to a mech and have them listen to it
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:42 AM

@Smeghead I tired your method with revving to about 2k-2.5k no pings or clunks.
I'll be taking it to get an oil change down the street just in case since I haven't changed the oil since I got it at 31k and I've put about 1.5k on in cold weather and I don't know if the previous owner kept up with maintenance.
so ill record a sound clip on the way to the shop
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:49 AM

Also I've posted on Clubralliart talking about the same thing with some different feedback here:
http://www.clubralliart.com/showthre...ed=1#post41817
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:47 PM

Finally figured it out (well the gf figured it out). Wasn't the engine it was the tires hence the rhythmic sound when I accelerate or brake.
When I plasti-dipped my wheels I didn't have a torque wench or a leverage wrench. One bolt on the passenger side was loose and was causing the tire to barely move against the bolt causing the knocking sound. Luckily I fixed it before any real damage was done. Thank you to everyone who provided me with help!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by A_Rawww
Finally figured it out (well the gf figured it out). Wasn't the engine it was the tires hence the rhythmic sound when I accelerate or brake.
When I plasti-dipped my wheels I didn't have a torque wench or a leverage wrench. One bolt on the passenger side was loose and was causing the tire to barely move against the bolt causing the knocking sound. Luckily I fixed it before any real damage was done. Thank you to everyone who provided me with help!
lol...
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by A_Rawww
it was the tires hence the rhythmic sound when I accelerate or brake.
Ooh, you fibber. That's ROAD speed, not ENGINE speed, lol.

Rich

Quick Reply: Engine Knock Help