Notices

E85 conversion?

Old Jan 12, 2018, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
We have emissions inspections here (in the States) too. They tickle the ECU and do a cursory visual inspection.

I simply can't believe anyone could spot the mod unless they really knew about our cars and knew the mod and tried to look for it... You should be fine. Have others been nabbed trying to do this? {just blink three times - don't let the cat out tha' bag, eh?) [nudge/wink]

Also, search the EVO X forum for conversion info too. Same process.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Veronica
We have emissions inspections here (in the States) too. They tickle the ECU and do a cursory visual inspection.
Yeah, they hook up to the ECU, but they wont read anything but error codes (well, here, and for now, at least. They simply don't have the resources to "know" what every ECU should look like, on the inside, so to speak.)

I simply can't believe anyone could spot the mod unless they really knew about our cars and knew the mod and tried to look for it...
People do stupid ****, like put a injector boost module in the engine compartment (simply tricking a motor to inject 30% more fuel to make up for the fact that it's E85) and leave it visible, and get "busted" on it. Also, doing a flexifuel conversion, and putting the sensor somewhere out in the open, gets you, every time. And for what ever reason tuners seem to sell injectors with color-coded head caps. If they see a hint of color, they fail you every time.
Never heard anything about THESE cars specific. Don't even know if the injectors can actually bee seen on these cars, and hence care needs to be taken, or what.

Also, search the EVO X forum for conversion info too. Same process.
The what now? I'm all ears.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
People convert evo x's all the time...motors are basically identical obviously different ecu ids. Look into what those guys do. Flex fuel sensor should be easy to hide. Run tephra mod v3 and you'll be able to run flex rural pretty easily and not sweat paying attention to what map you need to run. The color of the injectors will be hidden.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by DWILSON357
Run tephra mod v3 and you'll be able to run flex rural pretty easily and not sweat paying attention to what map you need to run.
Thats just it. The Tephra V3 depends on a pin in your wiring harness, that apparently isn't there for our European cars. Adding a pin, might be easy, if you know what you are doing, but i'm afraid i need someone to hold my hand, when ever it's anything more advanced then a wheel change, or toping up the windscreen fluids. (Speaking of which... Haven't done that since i bought the car, so, never done it. Might need hand holding there as well...)
I would, very much, prefer a proper flex install, but if it's outside my reach, then it is outside my reach. There isn't any Mitsubishi specific tuners in my area, so i'll be depending on someone who hopefully knows enough to get me a "safe" tune to go from, and then rely on online tuning help.

The color of the injectors will be hidden.
Nice. A small upside to any other problems at least.

As best i understand, Veronica suggested this to:
People convert evo x's all the time...motors are basically identical obviously different ecu ids. Look into what those guys do.
But it probably doesn't help that i don't really know what i'm looking for / asking about.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
ID1000cc are all black and look 99.9% like OEM injectors once installed.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe switching to E85 will cause the car to use MORE fuel than by running premium high octane gas. So, what you save in taxes you might lose in the cost of burning more fuel per mile/km that you drive......
Old Jan 13, 2018, 01:39 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Slee256
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe switching to E85 will cause the car to use MORE fuel than by running premium high octane gas. So, what you save in taxes you might lose in the cost of burning more fuel per mile/km that you drive......
The figure can vary, but figure on E85 to be approx 20-25% less efficient than standard gas. Its usually is less expensive than 91 but of course the real benefit is the 105 octane
Old Jan 13, 2018, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Slee256
I believe the exact number is, 1.36 times more fuel needed for the same power output. But i REALLY don't care. It's more a "F-U" to the policy makers that keep increasing taxes on gas for "environmental reasons" but yet specifically ban E85 conversions.
I'd happily pay just as much for my E85 consumption, as i would for the gas consumption, if i knew the money actually went to something reasonable, like, pure, unadulterated greed, sorry, capitalism.

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
The figure can vary, but figure on E85 to be approx 20-25% less efficient than standard gas. Its usually is less expensive than 91 but of course the real benefit is the 105 octane
I really don't expect to, or want to, extract more power from the rotating assembly, i'm told it's somewhere shy of 300HP currently, and it's more then enough for me. But i'm finding it hard to get any sort of parts-list together, and my knowledge simply isn't there. I was told Walbro makes good pumps, and are available from, well, not local retailers, but at least once in the country, so i would have all the benefits of Swedish consumer protection. A quick google then said 255 would be a good replacement for the stock pump, and 450 is what is recommended for tuned stuff. Both need some kind of adapter to fit in the original pump assembly, and i could easily have that made by a friend, but i cant find any dimensions on it.
Also, haven't been able to figure out if 255 or 450 would be right for stock turbo, E85 conversion, and, if there would be any issues with getting a "to large" pump. I assume it's just going to send more fuel back through the return pipe?
The GM fuel filter sock, supposedly sticks on to the pump assembly, so i guess it would still fit after a pump swap? (#GM92220509, as recommended on the previous page.)

Originally Posted by razorlab
ID1000cc are all black and look 99.9% like OEM injectors once installed.
I cant seem to find these locally, but it looks like they have a straight bolt on fit in these, so it's a good option. There are EU retailers, so i could arrange something. But here comes the question everyone is waiting for, from a guy who has no clue. What makes these "right" for the application? (I assume they are, hence the recommendation) I don't expect to be tuning for more power, i want to be able to, a, keep it on the road, and b, afford the fuel.
But i've sort of gathered that "to large" means you get crappy idle, and pretty much only full throttle works well, to small means you run lean on the top end, melting a hole in your pistons. But how do you guys figure out what is the "right" size?
Hell, i didn't even know there is 2 basic kinds, high, and low ohm. I assume that is the resistances of the coil inside the thing. Figured that one out on my own, and now i feel real proud, but sadly small, all at the same time. (The hint was the PR blurb on the page i found for them. "The first high impedance high flow injector" sort of gave away that there were low ohm sets as well. Not right for this application, but hey! I LEARNED SOMETHING.)
Old Jan 13, 2018, 03:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by -=Mr B=-
I believe the exact number is, 1.36 times more fuel needed for the same power output. But i REALLY don't care. It's more a "F-U" to the policy makers that keep increasing taxes on gas for "environmental reasons" but yet specifically ban E85 conversions.
I'd happily pay just as much for my E85 consumption, as i would for the gas consumption, if i knew the money actually went to something reasonable, like, pure, unadulterated greed, sorry, capitalism.

I really don't expect to, or want to, extract more power from the rotating assembly, i'm told it's somewhere shy of 300HP currently, and it's more then enough for me. But i'm finding it hard to get any sort of parts-list together, and my knowledge simply isn't there. I was told Walbro makes good pumps, and are available from, well, not local retailers, but at least once in the country, so i would have all the benefits of Swedish consumer protection. A quick google then said 255 would be a good replacement for the stock pump, and 450 is what is recommended for tuned stuff. Both need some kind of adapter to fit in the original pump assembly, and i could easily have that made by a friend, but i cant find any dimensions on it.
Also, haven't been able to figure out if 255 or 450 would be right for stock turbo, E85 conversion, and, if there would be any issues with getting a "to large" pump. I assume it's just going to send more fuel back through the return pipe?
The GM fuel filter sock, supposedly sticks on to the pump assembly, so i guess it would still fit after a pump swap? (#GM92220509, as recommended on the previous page.)

I cant seem to find these locally, but it looks like they have a straight bolt on fit in these, so it's a good option. There are EU retailers, so i could arrange something. But here comes the question everyone is waiting for, from a guy who has no clue. What makes these "right" for the application? (I assume they are, hence the recommendation) I don't expect to be tuning for more power, i want to be able to, a, keep it on the road, and b, afford the fuel.
But i've sort of gathered that "to large" means you get crappy idle, and pretty much only full throttle works well, to small means you run lean on the top end, melting a hole in your pistons. But how do you guys figure out what is the "right" size?
Hell, i didn't even know there is 2 basic kinds, high, and low ohm. I assume that is the resistances of the coil inside the thing. Figured that one out on my own, and now i feel real proud, but sadly small, all at the same time. (The hint was the PR blurb on the page i found for them. "The first high impedance high flow injector" sort of gave away that there were low ohm sets as well. Not right for this application, but hey! I LEARNED SOMETHING.)
The ID1000's run just like stock when tuned correctly. I have had ID1000cc, ID1300cc and ID1700cc in my personal Evo and all are fine.

I also ran ID1000's in my Ralliart as well. No issues on pump gas and E85

Just use a drop in pump like ASNU FP330E or Aeromotive 325 11165. They just drop in, no inline filters, adapters or wiring needed. 450 is not needed for an RA on stock turbo or even Evo X turbo.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 03:49 PM

Neat.

Some more poking about turned up a possible, not yet confirmed (everything is closed for the weekend, and its 00:40, at night) source for ID1050. They also have the Walbro 450 (Walbro GST450, really, but i assume that is the ticket?) It's claimed 700+ HP on E85, which seems a bit overkill, so perhaps 255 is more along my needs? 700 is more then 2x my output today, i don't see that happening, like, ever.
Again, asking the wrong questions perhaps.

Does anyone know what fuel pressure we run? Just curiosity at this point, not really sure what to make of all the numbers i see. The pump above supposedly delivers 390l/h at 5bar, and the ID1050 injectors are rated for 7bar, max. Apparently those injectors are named after what they output at 3 bar, and at 6.9 bar they give 1530cc. With 4 wide open at full pressure, they would drain the tank in... 11 minutes?
Of course i realize that they aren't open like that, again, just... interesting.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 04:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by -=Mr B=-
They also have the Walbro 450 (Walbro GST450, really, but i assume that is the ticket?) It's claimed 700+ HP on E85, which seems a bit overkill, so perhaps 255 is more along my needs? 700 is more then 2x my output today, i don't see that happening, like, ever.
Again, asking the wrong questions perhaps.
Like I stated above, just use a drop in pump like ASNU FP330E or Aeromotive 325 11165. They just drop in, no inline filters, adapters or wiring needed. 450 is not needed for an RA on stock turbo or even Evo X turbo.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 04:48 PM

Sorry, didn't see that line. To excited about the injectors i suppose. Cant seem to find a source right of the bat, but i'll keep looking. Thanks.

Sort of a stupid question, i assume, but, at one point or another, i'll be needing a tune for all of this. Since this is a bit outside the general scope around here, is there anyone known to be good with tuning these "online" that i should go to for a base map, and then email back and fourth until we got something solid? Your old 2010 RA would be pretty much the same thing i suppose, and someone did a good job on it?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 05:19 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
didn't see the last page of the thread. NM LOL
Old Jan 13, 2018, 05:35 PM

We are paying 10.80 for E85, and 15.31 for 98oct. 14.71 for 95, but i don't run that in the RA. Dunno if that was the right choice, really, but hey...
And the price is in swedish funny money. It's $1.9 / liter for 98, for those of you that run that kind of currency.
At this point, i think i'd lose a few cents every time i fill the tank, if i go E85, but i can deal with that. Top it of with the fact that they put a progressive tax rule in place, and every year the tax on gas will go up another 2% + what ever the inflation adds So, by next year i will definitely be at break even, and the year after, it's profitable to tell the "man" "F-U". (Profitable, at the same level as going to E85 is a loss today. A few cents / on a whole tank.)
And that is without the subvention on the price of E85 they are talking about. Nobody knows if that will actually happen or not, but considering the logic of the higher ups, i'd guess "not", so i haven't calculated with it.

Also... Around here, EVERYWHERE you can fill your car up, they have E85. But only one place that accepts my card has 98octane, and they close at night. I can fill up with E85 24/7. There is another 2 places that has 98octane, one of which also close at night, and neither accepts my card.
It's going to cost a lot more to convert to E85, then i could ever hope to save at the pump, but it's nice to have an option, and it feels good to do the "F-U" thing

Loss, win win?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 01:32 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Bottom line: e-85 uses 30% more fuel to do the same job as pump. For you, e-85 is 30% less expensive than your 98oct, so it seems to be a wash. Of course there is a +/- two or three percent, depending on the blend, perhaps, or other factors, but not enough to matter. If it's a 1:1 cost and it's easier to access? Seems like a no-brainer to me.
For me, in my town, e-85 is only 20% cheaper than 91oct, so it's more expensive to use than pump gas.

We all just have to decide if it's worth it. I also like telling oil companies to **** off LOL. If I daily drove my car, I'd probably use e-85 exclusively for that reason.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E85 conversion?