Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice write up, just doesnt sit right with me. Looks kind of awkward
Old Sep 5, 2009, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MacGyverGT
Nice how-to higgs.
I was considering removing the wing but am concerned about the holes, as my local dealer was not aware of the "plugs" you had mentioned. I saw another DIY for removing a wing on a Mustang in which the guy got some plastic plugs from Home Depot or something, painted them with touchup paint, and added a small bead of silicone to weather protect.
Question: Do you remember if all four holes were equal in size/diameter? Also, do you remember what size the holes were?

I'd like to do this project but want to make sure I can finish off the aftermath nicely like yours turned out. Thanks!
ok, found plugs, at the dealership, that simply press right into the SIX holes that are left in the trunk. basically once you take off the spoiler, there's four holes and a plastic clip retainer you can remove easily with some pliers, so there's six holes to fill total. the part number is: MU001282. they are about $2-3 each, so it works out to about fifteen bucks for all six but they press in and sit nice and flush with the lid. just a little touch up paint and you'd never know they were there. i also added a small ring of double sided tape around the base of each of the plugs, just for a little added water protection. its maybe a little more pricey than some home depot alternatives, but its oem parts for dorks like me . just putting another option out there. pics coming very shortly
Old Sep 5, 2009, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

ok, heres some cell pics, not the best, but they get the point across. the holes are only like 1/4 inch in diameter, but the top of the plug is about 1 inch in diameter, so plenty of surface area to add some double sided tape or silicone or whatever and still keep it looking clean

shot of the trunk with plugs installed:
How to: Remove spoiler 08+ RA-no-spoiler.jpg

close up of the plugs to show how flush they fit. its only like 1/16 inch above the surface:
How to: Remove spoiler 08+ RA-s-plug-close-up.jpg

add some touch up paint and you're good to go. either way, its only temporary until my do-luck trunk arrives...can't wait
Old Sep 5, 2009, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look forward to seeing it installed. Was looking at a couple of X's with them and it looks sweet from behind. Not sure if I like it from the side, though.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

+nice getting the sku# from the dealer for fill ins. please keep us updated on the do-luck trunk where you purchase yours from?
Old Sep 13, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by higgs
+nice getting the sku# from the dealer for fill ins. please keep us updated on the do-luck trunk where you purchase yours from?
got lucky and got in on the limited production run through bulletproof automotive of the frp version. i really liked the look of it, but couldnt stomach 1200 for the carbon fiber version, so when the fiber re-inforced plastic option came about, i jumped on it. probably wont be here for a couple more months, but will open a new thread with pics of it on a ralliart as soon as it comes in
Old Nov 6, 2009, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
got lucky and got in on the limited production run through bulletproof automotive of the frp version. i really liked the look of it, but couldnt stomach 1200 for the carbon fiber version, so when the fiber re-inforced plastic option came about, i jumped on it. probably wont be here for a couple more months, but will open a new thread with pics of it on a ralliart as soon as it comes in
ohhhh man please keep us posted will be keeping my wing off forever if I can get a hold of that as well
Old Nov 6, 2009, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by higgs
ohhhh man please keep us posted will be keeping my wing off forever if I can get a hold of that as well
should be here by christmas, cant wait. will post pics as soon as i get it
Old Nov 7, 2009, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I tryed this tonight and no luck pulled so hard the whole trunk was shaking. Any ideas even used fishing line to try to break the seal got it off somewhat but still stu k at the clip.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 01:33 AM
Evolving Member

haha i got mad and pulled real hard too. i suggest you not though.
i hate that damn adhesive.

try having the trunk all the way open and pushing on one side of the spoiler toward your back windshield window rather than pulling, then after you get one side free, work on the other.
just be real careful.
when i did it the first time and finally came off i put a small scratch on the corner of the trunk lid.
also i think i pulled too hard rather than my push method on one side that it maybe bent the top of the trunk lid a little.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 08Lancer89
I tryed this tonight and no luck pulled so hard the whole trunk was shaking. Any ideas even used fishing line to try to break the seal got it off somewhat but still stu k at the clip.
have you tried opening the trunk and hitting the threaded stud for the spoiler with a rubber mallet or small hammer? should be enough to get the secondary pop tab to come loose. otherwise, try to find an interior trim remover tool. looks like: --c so you can slip it around the clip and pry up around it. if you were local i'd just say stop on by, oh well. good luck
Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I got mine off im going to order the rrm wing delete kit now
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 08Lancer89
I got mine off im going to order the rrm wing delete kit now
koo. take pics asap
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member