Notices

How To: Install an AEM Wideband

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2011, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How To: Install an AEM Wideband

Here is my experience installing an AEM Uego Wideband. I choose the AEM because of its simplicity. Only wires needed are the power and ground. Everything else is plug and play connectors out of the box.

Some information on my Setup
My car has a Turbo downpipe. It was prefabricated with a bung for the wideband, located at the 9 o’clock position on the driver’s side. For those needing to get a bung welded in, I would recommend something close up top to the Bank 1 O2 sensor, or somewhere on the passenger side of the piping, no lower than the 3 o’clock position. The reason I advise this is because when you run the cable to the inside of the car you want to avoid the drive shaft, and any other moving parts.

Here the steps I took, feel free to post questions:
  1. Start by jacking up the car and secure it with jack stands. Better safe than sorry.
  2. Locate the bung to put in your wideband sensor. As you can see in the pic below, mine is in the vicinity of the bank 1 sensor. If you’re getting one welded, get it close to this location. There is an existing hole in the floor pan we will use to lead the wires into the car. If you look at the oem sensor from under the car, and follow the line up to the floorpan, you will see where it goes. That’s what used…saves from drilling new holes.

3. Thread your wideband sensor on, and secure any slack of the cable to prevent movement. For those using the AEM wideband, I plugged the connectors, and zip-tied the connector down.

4. Next, go in the interior, passenger side, front seat. Remove the rocker panel and kicker panel by tugging. Note the small plastic bolt securing the kicker panel. Just loosen it (read loosen, NOT remove), and pull the kick panel off.

5. From the center console, remove the side panel. Once you remove that. The carpet should easily pull back.
  6. With the carpet back, you will see a foam foot cushion. That’s held on by some type of black sealant/glue. Slide your hand underneath, and work it off. It comes of pretty easily. Once its off, you will see the line and grommet that the OEM 02 sensor come in.
  7. Pull the rubber grommet off to expose the existing hole, and feed the rest of you cables from the wideband through to the interior of the car.
  8. Using a razor blade, slice a hole on the grommet and feed the line through the grommet. Once you’ve pulled all the line through, plug the grommet back in. Go back underneath the car for one more time and check for loose slack, and secure them.

9. With the line now inside the car, you have to feed it up to wherever you plan to mount the gauge. In my case, I decided to mount the gauge to the steering column for ease of visibility. With that, I fed the line through to the driver’s side, and up to the steering column.
  10. On the driver’s side, remove the panel underneath the dash steeing column. This is held on by 3 plastic clips, and 10mm (2x) screws. Lightly tug the panel off, and remove the two connectors. This panel exposes access to my gauge mount location, and fuse box for powering the gauge.

11. Once you figure out the mounting location, wiring is a breeze.
    Here is what I did for the AEM:
    Red to switch 12V, fuse it to the cigarette lighter fuse.
    Black to ground. I crimped in a spade connector, and bolt that to one of the existing bolts.
    Other wires on the AEM are unused. So cap them with something. I used electrical tape.
    For some of you EcuFlash guys, you can wire in an R232 connector for wideband logging.
    I’ll let you figure that out for yourself.
  12. With everything wired, turn the key to the on position, and see to see if the gauge turns on. If it works, mount your gauge using whatever gauge mounting solution you have, and voila!!!
  13. Reinstall all of your panels, you’re all done.

Last edited by robertg; Jan 9, 2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 05:07 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice job.

what's a wideband?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dek0026
Nice job.

what's a wideband?
It's an oxygen sensor that sends a more precise mesurement than the stock sensor.

You stock sensor basically say too rich, too lean or should be ok. Where the Wideband will say the almost exact Air/Fuel Ratio.

This is an essential tool when tuning you car. If you engine runs leans, it risk overheat and this will lead to serious damage. If it runs too rich, you are wasting fuel and get lower performance.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zx-319
It's an oxygen sensor that sends a more precise mesurement than the stock sensor.

You stock sensor basically say too rich, too lean or should be ok. Where the Wideband will say the almost exact Air/Fuel Ratio.

This is an essential tool when tuning you car. If you engine runs leans, it risk overheat and this will lead to serious damage. If it runs too rich, you are wasting fuel and get lower performance.
really? thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice how-to. The biggest headache out of this whole ordeal is getting a new bung welded to the downpipe.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

If the bung is further down, like in the test pipe, there's another grommet that comes up underneath the passenger seat.

Just putting it out there.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dek0026
If the bung is further down, like in the test pipe, there's another grommet that comes up underneath the passenger seat.

Just putting it out there.
ya, right under the passenger seat.. this is the factory 02 sensor location
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

innovate LC-1 is way better.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by evremonde
innovate LC-1 is way better.
I've read people have nothing but problems with the innovate LC-1.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

ive heard there both junk. does this read when the car is turned off to? I think it would be vital to read the AFR with the car turned off. Just saying...
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

my tuner (not the one below....my new one) said widebands are pure crap and just to smell for fire or oil when at the track and that will mean i'm running lean. and also if my exhaust doesn't smell like e85 then it's probably not e85.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like your tuner knows his/her stuff. I was going to comment, I heard the tuner below on your sig is top notch.

general rule, smells fruity: race fuel. smells like gas, its gas. I thought E85 smelled like corn and fresh barley? Thats just what I was told. Mind kinda smells hoppy; beer?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

back on topic: good how-to, robert. looks like it took some effort to do.

i still can't get over the fact that the removing front license plate how-to is more popular in this section.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

all kidding aside. again, nice write up. very similar to how i did mine, and mine mounted to the steering column as well. except your pod is sweeter than mine.

robert, since your car is pretty new, how hard was it to get the sensor both in and out of the bung? mine took some gently but serious effort, and we all know how sensitive those sensors are to things like brake cleaner and pb blaster.

clean install, nice write up.

Quick Reply: How To: Install an AEM Wideband