Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My first Impressions of the NEW exedy Heavy duty Twin plate!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2005, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking My first Impressions of the NEW exedy Heavy duty Twin plate!!

Ok, I think I have finally found the right clutch! I have had the Exedy twin metallic first (after the stocker) and LOVED it! lasted 25k miles, but they were hard miles!
I next moved on to the Exedy Triple carbon. Lasted only 10K miles! This problem turned out to be a Install problem! Whereas the 1st disc was "ground down to nothing" with no drags, hard driving etc.. the remaining 2 discs looked like new! I was only engaging ONE of the THREE discs! go read my other post if interested in how it was acting up! It started falling apart on the Dyno4mance dyno runs.

This is the first Heavy Duty twin metallic in any car in the US so far. ( I have been told by Exedy/Daiken) The clutch pedal is a "little" firmer, I love the feel of it, it grabs like there is no tomorrow, pedal 1-1.5 inches off the floor. I am taking it easy for the break-in period (1K miles), so I will post my impressions here, as the miles tick away!
I am sure I will love this clutch 100X more than the non-heavy duty clutch!
My first impressions at the 100 mile mark:

1. slightly stiffer pedal effort than the regular twin and the triple carbon
2. grips better/sooner than the regular twin and the triple carbon.
3. significantly less "CHATTER" comming from under the hood! as quiet as a stocker? maybe. too early to tell.
4. shifts are quicker and more precice, but then again, its still the break in period, to rule out a placebo effect, will report back at the 1K mile mark.(few days!)
Old Sep 7, 2005, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds cool...let us know how you like it after 10k or so.

What is the significance of the "heavy duty"? Longer life?... Higher torque capacity?...other?
Old Sep 7, 2005, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn Kevin. You have gone through 2 clutches. I guess you can't stay of the methanol j/k. How is the car doing?
Old Sep 7, 2005, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

I am CONFIDENT this is the clutch for me, will keep you posted along the way! My car has been down since Dyno4mance dyno, as the clutch was acting goofy. I now have the clutch in, and the ALKY kit is now wired correctly, but I cant street tune it until the clutch is broken in. I am in for a super treat with the clutch and the Methanol injection BOTH WORKING correctly! I cant wait! well I have to at least wait for 1K miles.

I Dont Know what the Heavy Duty means, last longer, higher clamp-load, etc... It is too new for a brochure, and now that I think of it, I didn't ask. I just know I loved the "normal" twin metallic, so this has to be better than that one! It Feels like its going to do exactlly like my first twin, but BETTER!
Old Sep 8, 2005, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

I've been reading intently ALL of the clutch threads and still haven't read about a clear winner. Maybe you've found the answer! From whom did you purchase and at what price.

Thanks for your reply.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea, I will be needed a new clutch soon after the alky goes in. I was looking at the twin disc, but maybe this will be the one I go with. Keep the impression/feedback coming.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

I've got 500 miles on it so far, love it still, but havent "turned up the wick" with boost yet, still got 500 miles to go (couple days). I dont know the price, as I "traded" by triple carbon back to Exedy/Daiken, and they sent the clutch directly to my Mitshu dealer for the install. Price is probably like the twin metallic, maybe a little more, WELL WORTH IT I am sure!!!!!will keep you posted! The real test comes when I shove some boost in it, and turn the alky kit on!
Old Sep 10, 2005, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

^Cool, please keep me/us posted when you do!
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Alright Kevin!

Im glad everything reached you and things turned out ok.

It's great to hear the Heavy Duty doesn't feel 'too' heavy - although I didn't think it would.

Anyhow, yes you were the first in the US with it (thanks for being a guinea pig )and what the 'Heavy Duty' means is higher clamp load / torques capacity.

The estimates I heard were in the neightborhood of an additional 15% increase in holding capacity over the standard Twin Metallic.

I would go so far to say that the clutch you have in your car will hold up to mid-10 second passes.

Congrads and thanks... that clutch is defienetly on my 'to-do' list.

Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm glad to hear this so far, but as is often the case, you are reporting well before there is any reason to report (you know this, because you mentioned the placebo possibility). Right now, it seems really cool, but I'm keenly interested in how it holds up after some *****-out 11-sec drag runs, so I'll be awaiting your review after 1k miles!
Old Sep 10, 2005, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I'm glad to hear this so far, but as is often the case, you are reporting well before there is any reason to report (you know this, because you mentioned the placebo possibility). Right now, it seems really cool, but I'm keenly interested in how it holds up after some *****-out 11-sec drag runs, so I'll be awaiting your review after 1k miles!
I will give you my FULL and un-biased answer when I am able to "let the dog eat!"must break in first!
Old Sep 10, 2005, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MattGold
Alright Kevin!

Im glad everything reached you and things turned out ok.

It's great to hear the Heavy Duty doesn't feel 'too' heavy - although I didn't think it would.

Anyhow, yes you were the first in the US with it (thanks for being a guinea pig )and what the 'Heavy Duty' means is higher clamp load / torques capacity.

The estimates I heard were in the neightborhood of an additional 15% increase in holding capacity over the standard Twin Metallic.

I would go so far to say that the clutch you have in your car will hold up to mid-10 second passes.

Congrads and thanks... that clutch is defienetly on my 'to-do' list.

Thanks Matt, I couldnt have done it without you, pm me and tell me what you are up to now!
Old Sep 10, 2005, 01:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
The pedal engages 1-1.5" off the floor? That's about 1.5" less than most other clutches, isn't it? I'd make sure that you don't have too much free play and that the clutch is fullly disengaging, especially if you run into any gear grinding issues after the break-in period.

I read your other thread and I wasn't clear on what the install error was with the triple?

Is this the optional heavier pressure plate from the twin carbon retrofitted to the twin metallic clutch?
Old Sep 10, 2005, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
The pedal engages 1-1.5" off the floor? That's about 1.5" less than most other clutches, isn't it? I'd make sure that you don't have too much free play and that the clutch is fullly disengaging, especially if you run into any gear grinding issues after the break-in period.

I read your other thread and I wasn't clear on what the install error was with the triple?

Is this the optional heavier pressure plate from the twin carbon retrofitted to the twin metallic clutch?
If MattGold comes back on here, he can explain it, I think the spindle was put in either upside down, or backwards, and caused the top to have "burrs" on it. I am not really mechanically inclined, so I cant be of more help than this, but Matt can.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

I rechecked when the clutch engages, it is actually about 3". tough to measure.

Quick Reply: My first Impressions of the NEW exedy Heavy duty Twin plate!!