Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Removed AEM EMS, now car won't start

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2004, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removed AEM EMS, now car won't start

Removed my AEM EMS from my car last night. Hooked up everything the best we could. MAF, 02 Sensors, etc.

My problem lies in that when we were removing some wires from up under the dash we disconnected a whole lot of stuff just to make removing other wires easier. We are sure we re-hooked everything up correctly.

The is no power to the gauge cluster or the ac/heater/stereo. The car won't crank, no turning-over, or clicking.

The guy helping me out thinks it may be the immobilizer system, but i've never heard anyone else having problems with it.

Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?
Old Dec 21, 2004, 02:36 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
your ecu wires are all connected, all 4 plugs?

that would only happen if the ecu wires not connected correctly. Maybe you put it on a different order. flip it and see if that works.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah they are all hooked up. I will double check and make sure nothing is loose or backwards though. Any other ideas?
Old Dec 21, 2004, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

recheck the crank/cam sensors see if they're ok, pull the plugs one by one see if they fire (if you could get the car to crank) also check all fuses and see if you're getting power to the starter
Old Dec 21, 2004, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Most installers disable the key immobilizer security system when you have an AEM. I would contact whomever installed it for you. Or have the car towed to the dealer to reprogram the key for your car.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Car won't even turn over so no use checking the plugs for firing.

Boost solutions installed the AEM so won't do me any good to contact them.

I shouldn't need to reprogram the key. There's absolutely no power to the gauge cluster, stereo, ac/heater, etc.

What ever is causing the power loss to those is probably the cause.

And I double checked the ECU, it's hooked up correctly. It's pretty self-explainatory.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

I am sorry to here that I would contact any other tuner who does AEM's maybe they can help. You could contact Doug who used to work there he is now working at Topspeed off 400 somewhere and he knows a lot about the AEM and is a certified tech.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

After checking all the fuses the only one that I found blown was the Ignition switch fuse (the big 40A one).

I'm gonna head to pepboys in a sec and grab one. But would this fuse be causing the rest of the interior to not work? Oh yeah, the power windows don't work either

Seriously confused.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Service is closed for tonight, so I can't ask them - but Eclipses and Galants have two ECU's. The front ECU controls things like the dash, lights and windows and if it is fried they won't work. I don't know if Evo's have it too - but there are some other fuses near it that might need to be checked too. You may need to find some other Evo and see if you can swap ECU's with them to see if the problem is inside it.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

I feel like an idiot. One of the pro guys working on the other side of our shop just happened to be here tonight. He told me the ignition switch controls all those things I was having problems with.

So, low and behold I replace it and car fires right up.

Thanks for the input guys. We are still pulling gauge wires out from the car so if another problem arises i'll give you guys a yell
Old Dec 21, 2004, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Forbiden
Removed my AEM EMS from my car last night. Hooked up everything the best we could. MAF, 02 Sensors, etc.

My problem lies in that when we were removing some wires from up under the dash we disconnected a whole lot of stuff just to make removing other wires easier. We are sure we re-hooked everything up correctly.

The is no power to the gauge cluster or the ac/heater/stereo. The car won't crank, no turning-over, or clicking.

The guy helping me out thinks it may be the immobilizer system, but i've never heard anyone else having problems with it.

Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?
Why are you taking it out?
Old Dec 21, 2004, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Reverting the ecu to stock since I don't know how to tune the AEM. My current work schedule and lifestyle isn't permitting me to drive this car with the aftermarket ecu. I have no time at all to get any kind of tuning done because of my hours, and I work saturdays too.

Just gonna go with a mail-in flash style of tuning for now.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Reverting the ecu to stock since I don't know how to tune the AEM. My current work schedule and lifestyle isn't permitting me to drive this car with the aftermarket ecu. I have no time at all to get any kind of tuning done because of my hours, and I work saturdays too.

Just gonna go with a mail-in flash style of tuning for now.
how much are you gonna sell the stand alone for?if price is good,i'll buy it
Old Dec 21, 2004, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

After checking all the fuses the only one that I found blown was the Ignition switch fuse (the big 40A one).

I'm gonna head to pepboys in a sec and grab one. But would this fuse be causing the rest of the interior to not work? Oh yeah, the power windows don't work either

Seriously confused.
The switch powers a relay which completes the circuit.... a broken fuse will not complete the circuit which explains why you can't power up everything else.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 06:03 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
did you get it fixed yet?

Quick Reply: Removed AEM EMS, now car won't start