Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Anyone Successfully Tune Rally-Style Antilag?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2006, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need a throttle jack to mechanically force the throttle open when your foot is off the accelerator. Then set an appropriate amount of ignition retard.

The main worry with running antilag is not blowing your turbo but melting your exhaust valves.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Crusty, a throttle jack isnt needed if the ECU (like the Autronic does...not that I sell them I swear) can just use the IAC to do the same thing.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nez136
To put in into perspective, there are 2 basic styles of ALS(Anti-lag System), Mild and aggressive.

at 0% throttle the mild is building 0-1 psi while the aggressive is building 6-7 psi. WRC cars use an Aggressive style so before they even hit the gas they are at 6 psi. ALS is ment for instent boost no matter what RPM you are at.
The mild style just requires some quick adjustments in the EMS software, and gets you back to full boost practically immediately on most setups when you get back on the throttle. Any AEM certified tuner should know how to do this, and this is the style I recommend most people use if they want rally style antilag. The agressive style is vastly more abusive.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Crusty, a throttle jack isnt needed if the ECU (like the Autronic does...not that I sell them I swear) can just use the IAC to do the same thing.
The current EMS software can do this. People just need to do some creative thinking and they'll figure it out. You don't need rotational idle to get the car to idle properly when you use the IAC instead of a throttle jack. I still hope they'll add that feature in later versions of the software.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Inn-Tune
The mild style just requires some quick adjustments in the EMS software, and gets you back to full boost practically immediately on most setups when you get back on the throttle. Any AEM certified tuner should know how to do this, and this is the style I recommend most people use if they want rally style antilag. The agressive style is vastly more abusive.
Thanks for the info! I talked with AEM's tech support and they told me the same thing. I called a couple tuners and they told me they didn't have any experience with it. I'm sure they could probably figure it out without too much trouble.

Have you used it on the EMS before?

EVOlutionary
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

a true anti lag system is NOT recommand for street or even track use and i wouldn't even think about it unless you have VERY deep pockets. i talked to a subaru tuner that does rally cars about it and has one on his own car and he said that unless you race and have sponsers don't even bother. the amount of stress the system puts on the turbo and the drivetrain is just insane and requires a build up very often. for example, rally cars use it but they also have a fresh engine installed after each race. if you want more info about it, you can contact vermont sports car which builds alot of rally cars and they have experience with the anti lag system

http://www.vtcar.com/carprep.htm
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

^ thanks for telling me how to spend my money.

I don't know your definition of "true" antilag system, but I am wanting to tune the feature built into the AEM EMS.

I have already talked with Vermont Sports Car. Basically they told me they don't have anything to do with Mitsubishis anymore.

EVOlutionary
Old Jan 27, 2006, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary

I don't know your definition of "true" antilag system, but I am wanting to tune the feature built into the AEM EMS.

I have already talked with Vermont Sports Car. Basically they told me they don't have anything to do with Mitsubishis anymore.

EVOlutionary
i just got to tell you that your comment was very rude but i guess that how you repay to people that try to help you out all i said to you is what the guy told ME. as far as i am concerned, you can go buy an island in the middle of NY and i wouldn't care....

Last edited by blonde; Jan 27, 2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary

EVOlutionary
how can i help you ? als ?? no problem.pm me
Old Jan 27, 2006, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hey friends just a comment my jdm evo 8 came with an antilag system you can see some tubes coming of the exhaust manifold what this does is that when you lift your foot off the throttle the turbo keeps spining so you dont loose that much of boost but it seems just to be a mechanical thing no ecu tuning required for it just my opinion!
Old Jan 27, 2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by jrsimon27
hey friends just a comment my jdm evo 8 came with an antilag system you can see some tubes coming of the exhaust manifold what this does is that when you lift your foot off the throttle the turbo keeps spining so you dont loose that much of boost but it seems just to be a mechanical thing no ecu tuning required for it just my opinion!

i think for you and JDM evo 8
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by evorent
i think for you and JDM evo 8
I am not sure if by your post you believe him or not, but there are factory options for antilag on japanese cars. They are there for customers seeking to build the car for rally usage from the get go. You can also get 15G-GK turbos designed for high PR with a restrictor from Mitsu, probably others as well.

Blonde- WRC cars are required to run the same motor for 2 races. JGTC cars run for 2 hours straight at full throttle and dont often retire with antilag induced engine failure. Unfortunately your contact didnt paint a balanced picture. Most clubman rallyists I know use antilag, and most of them are lucky to get a rebuild a season. Its all about how its setup which is the point of this thread...tuning.

I think my personal observations came from real life usage, not imagination, or "rose tinted" glasses that made it seem like the best way to go. It has drawbacks but hey its nothing insurmountable.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 05:27 AM

I am not sure if by your post you believe him or not, but there are factory options for antilag on japanese cars. They are there for customers seeking to build the car for rally usage from the get go. You can also get 15G-GK turbos designed for high PR with a restrictor from Mitsu, probably others as well.

Blonde- WRC cars are required to run the same motor for 2 races. JGTC cars run for 2 hours straight at full throttle and dont often retire with antilag induced engine failure. Unfortunately your contact didnt paint a balanced picture. Most clubman rallyists I know use antilag, and most of them are lucky to get a rebuild a season. Its all about how its setup which is the point of this thread...tuning.

I think my personal observations came from real life usage, not imagination, or "rose tinted" glasses that made it seem like the best way to go. It has drawbacks but hey its nothing insurmountable.
we are making rally cars in europe for WRC rallys /last 12 years/

http://gallery.evolutionm.net/showph...cat/500/page/1

trust me, only ECU mapping !

question !!
ALS for what?

going to school ?
bank?
rally ? if yes grN ? ,grA? ,open class?
racing?
street?
just for fun ?

ALS setup is most dengerus tuning for 4G63

other questions

how many time a year you want to change turbo,pistons,ex.manifold,catalic converter ?

next. forget about low idle if you want big ''bang - bang'' /1500 rpm minimum/
also what type of fuel you want to used ???
and 100 other questions

if you realy need ALS pm me for info
Old Jan 28, 2006, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Hi John, appreciate the civil response... my understanding is that when the throttle body is closed the IAC varies the amount of air going into the intake plenum allowing just enough air for the car to idle... but not enough for rally-style antilag.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evorent
we are making rally cars in europe for WRC rallys /last 12 years/

trust me, only ECU mapping !

question !!
ALS for what?

going to school ?
bank?
rally ? if yes grN ? ,grA? ,open class?
racing?
street?
just for fun ?

ALS setup is most dengerus tuning for 4G63

other questions

how many time a year you want to change turbo,pistons,ex.manifold,catalic converter ?

next. forget about low idle if you want big ''bang - bang'' /1500 rpm minimum/
also what type of fuel you want to used ???
and 100 other questions

if you realy need ALS pm me for info
^ nice pictures

I am looking for a mild ALS setup, maybe 0-2psi when off throttle, controlled only with the AEM EMS software. I do not want to add any hardware to my car (no extra injectors or spark plugs).

I am planning on using it only for 10-12 autocross races per year, with each having about four 60 second runs. (and also occasionally on the street when someone is riding my *** )

With that minimal useage, if I have to replace or rebuild the turbo every year that is fine.

I will either be running VP C16 or pump gas and ethanol injection. Not sure yet - still waiting on rules clarification.

I will PM you for more information.

EVOlutionary

Quick Reply: Anyone Successfully Tune Rally-Style Antilag?