Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Is my AEM jacked or what?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2006, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is my AEM jacked or what?

Here are some various strange things:

First problem is it can not control the idle at all. Yes, all the settings are correct It just cant control the IAC motor at all. I thought maybe I fried the motor so I plugged the stock ECU in.... car idles perfectly. Plug in the EMS with the IAC motor unplugged... idles ok, plug in IAC motor.... idle goes to crap. Again, yes the settings are correct.

Second problem which I noticed now today the strange hellish backfires that occur anywhere from 6k to 7.5k at 30-35psi....

Third problem that is truly boggling is this... for this example Ill use dummied down numbers but this will give the point:

AFR goes from say 11.5 at 5k and stays there until around 6.8k at 6.8k -> 7.5k it goes down to 10.5

I adjust from 6.8k to 8k and make it slightly leaner only in that area and do another pull hopefully making it around 11.5 across the board....

This time it reads supposedly 12.5 AFR at 5k and holds 12.5 AFR (Within .2) till I let off. I did not touch most of the area being affected but somehow it is reading completely different on a second pull.

I thought maybe it is from intake temps of something of that nature so here is the kicker that I find amazing: Air Temp is within 2 degrees F, Boost is within .2 PSI at all times, and injector duty cycle is within 1.5% or so across the board.... SOMEHOW the EMS is reading it is over 1.0 AFR different between two pulls done even though that part of the map wasnt touched.

If someone can tell me how this is possible I would love to hear it. My last thought on why it would do this is if the Meth for some reason quit... well the only reason I dont believe this is the problem is because somehow the car isnt knocking when running 12.5-12.7 AFR @ 30-35psi on 93 octane. Im no guru here but I am pretty sure the car would be knocking like crazy if the Meth wasnt working its magic

Oh and one last thing thats strange.... I went out earlier to test the Meth. I tune the car so it runs 11.0-11.5 in the 5-7k region. I turn on the meth and log again... same tune, same boost, 5 minutes later. Now the AFR somehow reads 12.0 across the board. I turn up the meth even more and now it reads very strange from say 12 and then near redline it drops to 10.5. The numbers dont make any sense what so ever. I would love some help here on this crap.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM Rulez! Hard to believe that u are having problems. I recall ur advocacy of the AEM as the only and best tuning device for all modified Evos.LOL Tell u what, I will ask Smogrunner what he thinks?
Old Mar 7, 2006, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

It is probably not the "best" but that is in the eye of the beholder... it surely isnt the only device. Not sure what you mean but thanks for any input bud
Old Mar 8, 2006, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had random IAC issues with my 2003 Evo. Took the IAC out, cleaned everything, tested by cycling power, IAC seems to move in an out ok, reinstalled still wouldn't work. I swapped a friends AEM in and same think, car wont start/catch idle, but I can keep foot on gas lightly and run the car. Put his IAC in, runs perfect. Put my IAC runs perfect!?. Now I am waiting for the IAC to become unresponsive _again_ I spent all of last Sunday working with the car. I Reflashed the AEM, created a cal from sctratch to see if I could gain any IAC (thinking maybe calibration was corrupted).

My IAC (2003) is totally different from friends (2004) IAC. But part numbers match for ALL Evo 8's through the new 9, 2000-2003 Eclipse, Galants, and Lancers.

The part number was MD628318 but it has since changed to 1450A069.

Street price on that little motor is $327, hookup through friend at dealer $290, mitsubishiparts.net $237.99. I don't think it's worth more than $40...

Last edited by itzwolf; Mar 8, 2006 at 08:25 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 08:28 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
It is probably not the "best" but that is in the eye of the beholder... it surely isnt the only device. Not sure what you mean but thanks for any input bud
You sure have bad luck with ems systems. Sorry to hear.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

my friend had the same problem with his aem. the idle circuit was fried. send it to aem for a new one. your problem with tuning is coming from the alky kit. It sucks! i have the same one and it just isn't fast enough to respond to the demand. PM me for more info.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nickracer9
my friend had the same problem with his aem. the idle circuit was fried. send it to aem for a new one. your problem with tuning is coming from the alky kit. It sucks! i have the same one and it just isn't fast enough to respond to the demand. PM me for more info.
That is what I figured.

How long does it take AEM to fix it and send it back? I really should get that fixed. As for the alchy I have given up on it. I only drive the car a few times a week and considering when I go to the track I would rather use racegas anyways.... doesnt make much sense for the alchy.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

aem problems

i'm not sure on return time. send efixmr a pm, he's the guy i was talking about.