Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

How bad is 2 step?

Old Jul 31, 2006, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Inn-Tune
That's the wrong kind of antilag for road racing and rally. Use rally style antilag if you want to build boost off throttle while cornering.
Well... I am glad for a nice old 101 on the proper use of this. I am focusing more on my driving rather than holding boost in a turn at this point. However, the topic highly interests me to try this anti lag in a turn when possible. The launch technic is easily undestood. I believe my system is set up for the purpose of building the boost while cornering. Once again...I have will have to just keep at it and practice.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:22 AM
Account Disabled

I have not used my anti-lag yet. I just plan on running the standard 2 step
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

gotta love 2-step! I too try the 5k then step on it once the light (or Flagger) turns go then 2-step for a sec or 2 then BAM!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD-BYE
Old Aug 22, 2006, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jbrown
2-step is not a problem as far as wear is concerned unless you set it to build boost at the line. At that point you have fuel igniting inside the turbo, and that is bad for the life of your turbo.

yea i dont know about y'all but my default launch control is anti-lag. I have it set to 20psi, but if you rice the car at a light -the boost coming off throttle with no compensational intake for the car usually causes a stall.

other thing is sometimes the "muscle heads" need to be put in thier place. the way i see it...if you are a dick and cause me to use my launch control on the street-you see it and hear it and still arent scared...i need to be worried. lol.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lancealott
Another helpful tip with the anti-lag might give you a reason to use this system. It is not a very easy driving technique at a glance for me to accomplish, but you can use this system in track racing. While going into the turn if you are able to keep your foot on the gas without flooring it and holding the clutch, you can build boost in a turn. While coming out of the turn, naturally slip the clutch back out and you should be holding some of the boost you would normally lose without the anti-lag. I have yet to test this. This is per my tuner's understanding of the anti-lag. Someone that has used this with success could hopefully chime in on this one. Very cool system.
I doubt that this technique will be used. You don't coast around a corner with the clutch in. You are either accellerating, decellerating, or holding a steady speed, but always with the clutch engaged. Coasting Bad

To hold boost through a corner you brake with your left foot while keeping your right foot on the gas (not necessarily floored, though). You can rocket out of corners nice and fast. Works well on the AX course.

Alternatively you could play with rally style antilag, where the ECU retards timing based on throttle position (rather than speed or clutch position like drag antilag) to send unburnt fuel into the manifold to ignite and spool the turbo. It does this when you come into a corner and let off the gas and apply the brakes. It keeps the turbo spooled, so that when you get back on the gas you are ready to rock!

EVOlutionary
Old Sep 5, 2006, 05:45 AM
Account Disabled

boost braking is what I initially mentioned. that works very well.

have anyone played around with the liftless shifting? where you don't lift your accellerator when shifting, and relying on your boost/fuel cut on the rpm limits that you set, sorta like the anti-lag launch?
Old Oct 16, 2006, 02:39 PM

Has anyone here experienced a failure due to the 2 step feature?
Old Oct 25, 2006, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by forbidden color
boost braking is what I initially mentioned. that works very well.

have anyone played around with the liftless shifting? where you don't lift your accellerator when shifting, and relying on your boost/fuel cut on the rpm limits that you set, sorta like the anti-lag launch?
I use anti-lag to launch and also shift full throttle. It helps immensly with boost recovery between shifts. I've probably made about 40 passes like this and no problems.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:14 PM

i've made over 400 passes with my 2 step, took out my 50 trim and inspected it cause im going to a larger turbo... and there was no visual damage to the turbine and the play was like when i first put it. i did this over 20,000 miles.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

how long does the stock clutch last with a 2 step?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Evo9"Miss Rose" View Post
gotta love 2-step! I too try the 5k then step on it once the light (or Flagger) turns go then 2-step for a sec or 2 then BAM!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD-BYE
Then bam depending on where you live you get pulled over by the cops