Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

How bad is 2 step?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2006, 09:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How bad is 2 step?

I know it can't be good for your engine to do 2 step, let alone your turbo.

what do you guys think? Anybody know the long term effects? or what could terrible go wrong besides blowing your turbo and engine?
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

I was told by my tuner that it has little wear on parts. By using the 2 step properly, you shouldnt be on it very long when staging your launch. If you use it as a rice machine just to get peoples attention at a stop light...... I am sure that it could eventually do damage if not used properly. Otherwise, its the ultimate shizzy for launching.

That is assuming my tuner at the time did not fill my head with poo.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:26 AM
Account Disabled

poo is dangerous when filled inside of a head.

Here is how I do mine.

I would rev up just below 5000 where it's not hitting the 2 step then just after the first yellow light, then start to 2 step then go.

but little wear on parts... any chance the fire that comes out at the rear might get sucked back into the engine?
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

That sounds about the same tactic I use to stage.....although I have far from mastered it. As for the fire, I am unsure. I have not heard of anyone blowing up anything while staging. I would assume if your tuner has it set correctly, your car should be fine since the 2 step was designed for this purpose.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

2-step is not a problem as far as wear is concerned unless you set it to build boost at the line. At that point you have fuel igniting inside the turbo, and that is bad for the life of your turbo.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 05:42 AM
Account Disabled

well, what's the point of 2 step if you're not building boost off of the line?

I thought that was the point of the launch control for turbo cars.

how would you set it up so you don't build boost off of the line?
Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Set up the fuel cut and ignition cut at around the same RPM so you don't have ignition inside the exhaust manifold or turbo. Without that, you won't build boost. I will look at my settings tonight and let you know what works for me.

I considered the "launching with boost" option, but I don't drag race all that much and don't want to be that mean to my car.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

I just had a fun reality check on my two step this weekend. I found out that my AEM is set up with an "anti-lag" set up. I have mine set up for 4500 rpm. I basically rest my foot on the pedal until my rpm's reach 4500. At this point my rpm will stay idle for a brief moment. Then I will hear and see my turbo start to build boost. As I reach max boost I slip the clutch just enough to keep power and launch. Before I used to hold the gas all the way to the floor until my car built full power and then release when the turbo started its "cough". I hope this makes sense. Im loving my two step now.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:39 PM
Account Disabled

i see it. Ignition cut on mine is set at 12000rpm, i think which makes the thing boost up.

I have to go and see my setup to see what i'm saying is true though.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, my fuel cut, ignition cut and retard rev are all set at 6200 rpm, as such I don't make any boost at the line, but like I said, I don't want to.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jbrown
yeah, my fuel cut, ignition cut and retard rev are all set at 6200 rpm, as such I don't make any boost at the line, but like I said, I don't want to.
Another helpful tip with the anti-lag might give you a reason to use this system. It is not a very easy driving technique at a glance for me to accomplish, but you can use this system in track racing. While going into the turn if you are able to keep your foot on the gas without flooring it and holding the clutch, you can build boost in a turn. While coming out of the turn, naturally slip the clutch back out and you should be holding some of the boost you would normally lose without the anti-lag. I have yet to test this. This is per my tuner's understanding of the anti-lag. Someone that has used this with success could hopefully chime in on this one. Very cool system.

Last edited by lancealott; Jul 25, 2006 at 08:56 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 06:12 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by lancealott
Another helpful tip with the anti-lag might give you a reason to use this system. It is not a very easy driving technique at a glance for me to accomplish, but you can use this system in track racing. While going into the turn if you are able to keep your foot on the gas without flooring it and holding the clutch, you can build boost in a turn. While coming out of the turn, naturally slip the clutch back out and you should be holding some of the boost you would normally lose without the anti-lag. I have yet to test this. This is per my tuner's understanding of the anti-lag. Someone that has used this with success could hopefully chime in on this one. Very cool system.

I think drag racers actually use the anti-lag switch and use rev-limit to not fall off the boost on shift.

but on the road track days, don't use your clutch to build boost, it'll be more ideal to use left foot braking or trail-braking with accelerator push down to build boost.

brake boosting is much more idea than anti-lag on the corner, I believe.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by forbidden color
I think drag racers actually use the anti-lag switch and use rev-limit to not fall off the boost on shift.

but on the road track days, don't use your clutch to build boost, it'll be more ideal to use left foot braking or trail-braking with accelerator push down to build boost.

brake boosting is much more idea than anti-lag on the corner, I believe.
Makes sense to me. I need some more track time..... all in time.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

That's the wrong kind of antilag for road racing and rally. Use rally style antilag if you want to build boost off throttle while cornering.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 02:34 PM
Account Disabled

rally style antilag will shorten the life of the turbo dramatically.

you're talking about actually dumping fuel into the 02 housing or manifold to build boost while on idle, right? the explosion?

Quick Reply: How bad is 2 step?