Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

aem ems question plz help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2008, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aem ems question plz help

i got an 03 evo 8 wit an aem ems ecu and stock maf sensor, my idle is ***ed up do i need to take out my maf and put in an aem 3.5 bar map sensor?? thank you.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 04:00 PM

you don't need a map sensor but having a ems without it is kinda a waste of money, whats wrong with the idle?? have you adjusted the idle speed motor settings at all, or the idle target rpms? do you have a wideband o2 on the car?need a little more info to help
Old Dec 8, 2008, 04:05 PM

Is this a new install. It should work fine with your factory MAF. Make sure you calibrate your TPS and set your base timing in the ecu setup, with a timing light.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by RicerX1
Is this a new install. It should work fine with your factory MAF. Make sure you calibrate your TPS and set your base timing in the ecu setup, with a timing light.
didn't even think of that, if it is a new install you should probably take it to a shop or pearson that tunes aems, you can and more than likely will hurt the motor if this is your first ems
Old Dec 9, 2008, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

It doesn't seem like your Idle Step Motor isn't quite setup just right yet, be sure make use of the manual that comes with the software and learn everything you can.

Just as a tip,

If you are just learning the EMS leave the MAF in and carry your stock ECU with you incase you ever get in a pinch or until you feel you can trust yourself/tune. Then think about switching to speed density.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 07:23 AM

alright i bought the car with the aem ems it had a wideband in it but original owner took it off but left the sensor in the test pipe, and a tuner told me that the maf was my problem and that he cant get an accurate reading with aem ems wit the stock maf told me to replace it with the aem 3.5 bar map sensor and remove the maf
Old Dec 9, 2008, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOjuan623
alright i bought the car with the aem ems it had a wideband in it but original owner took it off but left the sensor in the test pipe, and a tuner told me that the maf was my problem and that he cant get an accurate reading with aem ems wit the stock maf told me to replace it with the aem 3.5 bar map sensor and remove the maf
If there isn't anything wrong with the MAF that might be a clue to find a new tuner honestly, no offense. The MAF is a very good unit and the AEM has no problem using it.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:14 AM

no its cool im just confused so bad already man one guy tells me to replace it and then another tells me not to im lost big time but i already found another tuner my old tuner dissappeared on me left me hanging so im going wit jestr but theya re impossible to reach lol but i heard they are the best
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOjuan623
no its cool im just confused so bad already man one guy tells me to replace it and then another tells me not to im lost big time but i already found another tuner my old tuner dissappeared on me left me hanging so im going wit jestr but theya re impossible to reach lol but i heard they are the best
Its easy to get confused especially when several people are throwing their opinions around at you, most do just want to help. I don't know what your power/setup goals are with your car so its hard to sling out advice to keep or change your MAF. All I can say is the stock MAF is a good unit and it can make plenty of HP if tuned correctly. It does have its draw backs but it also has its advantages just like changing over to speed density does.

I can not vouch for Jestr tuning on the AEM (I haven't heard anything good or bad from them tuning the AEM), but please be very careful no matter who you choose. The best recommendation I can give you is to learn as much as you can about the system yourself as it is your car and you will be the one paying the bill if something does go wrong. There are too many people that get took and drive away with a crap tune and either end up hating the AEM-EMS or end up with poor results and engine damage. You will find several cases on this board.

Please read through the threads under this AEM sub forum as you will find some good info to help you out.

Good Luck.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:30 AM

my goals for my car honestly im not worried about now thats later all i want is to fix the idle on ,y car at idle it jumps from like 800 to 1200 and i cant even put on the ac the idle drops and shuts off with the ac off i throw the car in neutral and come to a stop and rpm drops to about 500 then shuts off not all the time but sometimes, and my car is running lean plugs are semi white, i just want to fix this issue wt my car thats it later on i will worry about getting power out and stuff