Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Aem ems antilag

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aem ems antilag

Is there a functionall ALS in the aem ems , i not looking for NLTS i talk about lit off throtle and keep the turbo spool up.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Are you looking for this ?

Attached Thumbnails Aem ems antilag-anti-lag-setup.jpg  
Old Jun 8, 2009, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

have fun buying new o2 sensors!
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by whoflungpoo
have fun buying new o2 sensors!
And turbos and manifolds... but it sure is sweet to have boost at zero throttle.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

YOU WILL BE BUYING TURBOS LIKE CRAZYYYYYYYYY.........................BUT IF U GOT THE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ DO IT...................................:mit su:
Old Jun 27, 2009, 01:45 AM

Every rally Evo and Subaru here has antilag (running Motec, GEMS and the like) and they does not change turbos every race. It's more like a turbo for a season, which is a few really hard thousands km. Ah, and they run stock turbos.
I guess you overestimate the load ALS puts on the car.

My mates VII has made 1.5 rally seasons without changing turbo, manifold or anything engine related. It was running 29 psi peak boost and ALS all this time and it would still be fine now if not crashed.

The first O2 sensor (in the header) yes, this might die prematurely. Aftermarket ECUs don't use it anyway.

Going back to the topic, I'm myself very interested in AEM "rally-style ALS". Here we mostly have Motecs and GEMS which are much more $$$$ than the AEM EMS. If it's possible to run a real ALS on the AEM, it'll be a nice alternative. Googling around gets me a couple of threads here and there with people saying "AEM rally antilag isn't really working" or "AEM rally antilag can be done, few tuners done that", but no details and no success stories. So if anyone has AEM EMS rally style antilag running I'd very happy to hear

Last edited by moro; Jun 27, 2009 at 01:57 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well this thread is pretty old but what the hell maybe somebody will read it.
I was actually looking in buying AEM EMS 2 because of AL function, I need rally style one.
Don't ask why, just my preference, unfortunately seems to be like Rally option doesn't work at all from what people say. Real ALS in wrc cars inject fresh air into exhaust manifold, JDM evo's have that system too, SAS (secondary air system) however supposedly from what I've heard nobody was able to retrofit it in USDM cars. That's what flat spots on exhaust manifold next to block were meant for, USDM cars spots are just blank, JDM cars have pipes going there with solenoid to control process.
That's how proper ALS it's done. However on JDM cars ALS seems to be pretty mild.
As far as AEM, seems to be like they went for Timing/Fuel controlled ALS which is much tougher on components. It will not destroy your turbo as some people claim but it will shorten it's life span.
ALS does not affect ball bearing turbos as much as shaft turbos AKA stock like turbos.
And it is due to simple thing. Shaft turbos are more affected by return pressure wave which is generated when boost bounce off closed throttle body when ALS engages. That wave creates cavitation which affects turbine wheel.
I think MOTEC will be the way to go for me. It is more expensive but it does everything on A+
It could be nice if AEM could finally figure out full rally type ALS. Even if it will be just timing/fuel controlled.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Is the drag anti-lag set up what makes the cars back fire at the line when brake boosting? Contrary to what we have now on the step2 rev limiter?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:16 PM

I have the AEM anti-lag drag style set up on my MR2 turbo. Yeah AL isn't good for turbos and manifolds and whatnot. But it isn't like one time and boom goes your stuff. Thats how it seems some people seem to think what happens. Yes it makes the backfire sound as well as shoots a flame out the exhaust tip.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you need any additional parts or just turn this ON.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alexlewand
Well this thread is pretty old but what the hell maybe somebody will read it.
I was actually looking in buying AEM EMS 2 because of AL function, I need rally style one.
Don't ask why, just my preference, unfortunately seems to be like Rally option doesn't work at all from what people say. Real ALS in wrc cars inject fresh air into exhaust manifold, JDM evo's have that system too, SAS (secondary air system) however supposedly from what I've heard nobody was able to retrofit it in USDM cars. That's what flat spots on exhaust manifold next to block were meant for, USDM cars spots are just blank, JDM cars have pipes going there with solenoid to control process.
That's how proper ALS it's done. However on JDM cars ALS seems to be pretty mild.
As far as AEM, seems to be like they went for Timing/Fuel controlled ALS which is much tougher on components. It will not destroy your turbo as some people claim but it will shorten it's life span.
ALS does not affect ball bearing turbos as much as shaft turbos AKA stock like turbos.
And it is due to simple thing. Shaft turbos are more affected by return pressure wave which is generated when boost bounce off closed throttle body when ALS engages. That wave creates cavitation which affects turbine wheel.
I think MOTEC will be the way to go for me. It is more expensive but it does everything on A+
It could be nice if AEM could finally figure out full rally type ALS. Even if it will be just timing/fuel controlled.
I actually have the full ALS for the EVO IV. Tapped manifold, plumbing, solenoid. All you'd have to do physically for it to work is weld a bung on your UICP to attach the feed hose.

I haven't seen anyone get it to work on stock ECU, but AEM has enough programmable outputs that I can damn near guarantee you can get it to work.
Basically you would set an output so that if RPM is above X and TPS is below X volts, you would set the output to turn on. This would open the solenoid and allow the air to escape via the ALS instead of your BOV.

The manifold is currently on my car, but I'd be willing to let it go at the right price so I can finish up my 6262 setup.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Where can we see one of these setups and how it
works?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by browningderek
Where can we see one of these setups and how it
works?
This is the basic system, solenoid and some kind of filter canister, the inlet from the piping, and the injectors into the exhaust bungs.

Close up of the valve

closeup of the valve/canister. This was located on the underside brace of the intake mani.

I just kinda placed it on my setup to give you a rough idea of how it sits. Of course the valve is supposed to be a bit lower.

Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, I see. Its like an EGR valve and just uses the solonoid to actuate it. Im not sure what you would need the vac. canister for.....

So now for the most important question, does it work? Anyone with any datalogs with a comparison on and off?

This setup will work will the aem for sure.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pirana
Do you need any additional parts or just turn this ON.
I didn't need any extra parts. You just enable the anti-lag and set your parameters up.

Quick Reply: Aem ems antilag