Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Honey Badger build thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2012, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
no the rage belongs to my friend who is helping me build the Evo. eventually he is going to go full EVOIII with it and AWD. Right now he just got done putting a RIPGRIP LSD in it. and yeah thanks for the compliments. In the DC area there are alot of trolls that like to know what exactly is under every ones hood up to and including a few Shops in the area. So building in my garage lowers cost & keeps things classified so my car doesn't become a target for thieves and or unnecessary drama. some thing for the Rage fans:
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn that thing is squeezed in there. Nice! Do you know what kind of header that is?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:39 AM
Evolving Member

its a ebay brand punishment racing knock off. it works for his application. he was going to run stock mani but he sold it so this is what he got for now. the Rage is scary as hell to ride in when it spools it feels like the front end of the car is going to seperate from the rear. so diffrent then the way the Evo feels. the Evo is like Because:Racecar or Rally Car, the rage is like Because: GOLF CART WITH JET ENGINE FAIL WHEEL DRIVE...... lol
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:54 PM

Yeah, they weren't made to go as hard as we make them. Its fun though.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

i got 750 miles on the build oil change and tune at 1000, i can't wait to see the numbers this thing puts down. my buddy and i have been street tuning her little by little and she has come a long way the idle is deep consistent and lumpy (S2) the clutch leaves alot to be desired (6puck sprung) but the drive-ability is there and every thing works, AC blows cold, etc. on the high way i can cruise out of boost at 80mph, sipping gas. which was one of the reasons i went in the direction i did with this car, For DD shes mild mannered and smooth. but, when you DRIVE it she RESPONDS with brute force. she can be a bit laggy but i am ok with it, as that was part of the plan. once i get tuned i'll post up some videos and more detail regarding the numbers i make with this turbo. there is another thread in here that is waiting for a review on it.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=538583
just some opinionated butt dyno feed back at 4k RPMs and 15-20psi of boost it pulls almost 2x as hard as it did when i dyno'd 359 @ 28psi on the IX turbo. so i can't wait to see what she does at WOT once tuned.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

UPDATE: while street tuning my car we were seeing a fuel cut at around 20psi above 5k rpms and determined the fuel pump to be on its last legs. we installed a walbro 400lph to replace the 255 i had. once that was done went to start the car and the starter failed, replaced that and now it cranks then dies. so we are trouble shooting the issue.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by USCGSAM
UPDATE: while street tuning my car we were seeing a fuel cut at around 20psi above 5k rpms and determined the fuel pump to be on its last legs. we installed a walbro 400lph to replace the 255 i had. once that was done went to start the car and the starter failed, replaced that and now it cranks then dies. so we are trouble shooting the issue.
Sounds pretty rich.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

today we determined that i have 2 bad coil packs that need to be replaced. we are picking them up from the junkyard (Brandywine auto parts) tomorrow morning. she cranks runs ruff and then dies. and we think its the # 2 and 3 cyls.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:42 AM
Evolving Member

Coils weren't the issue either, replacing a Crank position sensor, if that doesn't work i might replace the cam sensor. If i replace both and shes still giving me problems its going to a shop to get fixed. i do love working on my own cars but if it is beyond my skill set and or i can't figure out the problem its time to find some one who can.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:38 AM
Evolving Member

so, i have been through 3 fuel pumps wally 255/ 400, and a stealth. 2 fuel pump modules in order to fix this fuel cut problem i was having. Chris at Moore auto fought tooth and nail with my car to isolate the problem and correct it. after he was able to make a few passes on their dyno making around 498 to the wheels. he gave me some good recommendations, Open Dump O2 housing, and a spoolin up COP to start with. dyno plot and more details to follow.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Sam, here's your dyno graph (finally, lol)!

Name:  S_Clemons_Evo_8_GTX3582_DynoTune.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  95.1 KB

It gets a little choppy up top, I'm thinking because of the Ebay O2 housing is causing so much back-pressure, and we couldn't go below 30psi. An open dump will definitely help

~Chris@MooreAutomotive
Tuner/Master Technician
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Awesome thanks again chris !!!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Sam,

If its the Ebay housing that looks very similar to the Megan, pull it off and port the WG opening as big as you can get it with a dremel in the meantime. That or dont rip on it, its not looking overly happy out the top right now.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

yeah thanks Aaron, i am babying it right now. It recently developed an small oil leak and we think it might be the head gasket so i am trying to limit driving it and baby it when i do. i am going to go external dump ASAP! but having problems right before Christmas is the WORST time, money is tight and i can't do what i need/want to with the car. After the new year she should be right.

Last edited by USCGSAM; Dec 25, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:28 PM

man seeing all this progress is awesome!! i def want an evo now!!! lol

Quick Reply: Honey Badger build thread