Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Honey Badger build thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Honey Badger build thread

bout time i started a build thread,
So i picked up a 2003 Evo VIII about a year ago now. In bad bad shape very neglected by the owner. The price was right and i was between cars so i went for it. I followed that by some mods that will help me manage things myself as far as EMS, i went with ECM Link ( i know, i know open source,ECUFlash/EVOscan) i have alot of friends that have DSMs and know a bit about how to use it so its what i went with(and am happy to have) the car already had:
Ebay O2 dump
knock off HKS Dragger TBE
Cusco Coilovers and ECON controller
Cusco Front and Rear Strut tower bars.
Ebay air intake w/ dirty K&N air filter
Agency power 50/50 BOV
Battery relocated to trunk

over the winter and spring period i installed a Evo IX turbo, 950cc injectors and discovered a Walbro 255 pump. Also installed Varis PU front lip. Took the car to moore auto in fairfax VA and put it on the dyno and with my conservative street tune she put down 325WHP/318TQ to the wheels and at the track she made a pass of 12.9 @108, 60' 1.9.

last month i installed GSC S2 cams and GSC Beehive valve springs. After the Install i switched over to speed density, removed MAF sensor and replaced the K&N filter with a brand new K&N unit then got tuned at Moore auto and produced 360whp/351tq.
while driving today i was playing with a friends WRX and was at half throttle and around 15-20psi boost when the car hesitated and started losing power. Initally i thought the fuel pump some how lost power but once home we pulled the spark plugs and found a CRACKED #4 piston. I had been hoping to put off the bottem end rebuild untill this winter but the Badger had other ideas about that. Tonight i ordered :

Wiseco Forged Pistons w/ Rings (9.0:1 C.R.): Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII
Manley Performance H-Beam Steel Connecting Rods: Mitsubishi Evolution VIII & IXOptions:
Rod Bolt Upgrade: Standard ARP 2000
Clevite 77 Tri-Metal Main Bearing & Thrust Washer Set: Mitsubishi EVO VIII
Clevite 77 Tri-Metal Rod Bearing Set: Mitsubishi EVO VIII

having ordered all this we are hoping that once the head is off its still in usable shape.
i'm standing by to replace the valves and other components in the head untill its confirmed damaged... i'll update this thread as i go.

sorry about the image size still trying to figure it out.
KCCO.

Last edited by USCGSAM; Aug 16, 2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice car, sorry to hear about the engine letting go. I plan on putting a evo IX turbo, 1050cc injectors, GSC S2 cams, MAP beehive springs and probably some other goodies on my 03 this winter. Hopefully I don't have the same outcome, but seem you made good power with similar mods. GL with the engine build, never cheap to do it right and never happens when you want it to. Keep Calm Chive On
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The following users liked this post:
EvoIX89 (Dec 6, 2016)
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like your pointing it back in the right direction, good luck with the build.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Squeeb
Sounds like your pointing it back in the right direction, good luck with the build.
I am hoping so. is it too much to ask for a 11 second daily driven Evo? i think its conservative considering some of the numbers people make around here. that and i still want drivability/reliability and fair milage when i keep my foot out of the tank.
Originally Posted by ak47po
this made me smile
Originally Posted by SW20Mike
Nice car, sorry to hear about the engine letting go. I plan on putting a evo IX turbo, 1050cc injectors, GSC S2 cams, MAP beehive springs and probably some other goodies on my 03 this winter. Hopefully I don't have the same outcome, but seem you made good power with similar mods. GL with the engine build, never cheap to do it right and never happens when you want it to. Keep Calm Chive On
THANKS, and SW20 < you HAZ MR2? i had a MR2 Turbo myself i miss it....i plan on making the most of the down time with the car and fixing some other suspension issues the cusco coil overs are dirty and locked up and most of the bushings are worn so i'm going to work on that while helping my buddy build the motor.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
finish the Honey Badger so it can go eat cobra! lol
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow, small world, yep I had a 91 MR2 turbo in the states and a 97 turbo while in Japan. Always loved evos, got a IV while in Japan and decided I wanted one stateside as well. I do miss my MR2 turbo as well though, just needed something more practical, but still fun.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry about the motor
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by st00pidc5
sorry about the motor
thanks for the support, we are almost ready to pull the block out today and really start to get into it.

yeah i had a 93 turbo fully loaded MR2 T tops leather the worx made about 350RWHP jun exhaust DP and other goodies.

Needed the EVO for the family my son is going to be MAD that its down.
Trying to KCCO
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:00 AM

Good luck with the build, looking forward to see the progress
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FRDRICE
Good luck with the build, looking forward to see the progress
thanks,
UPDATE:
got a nice little box of stuff from ExtremePSI today made me feel a little better and work is coming along on the engine removal.

Last edited by USCGSAM; Jun 26, 2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

my buddy just discovered a Fidanza fly wheel and confirmed what i suspected was a ACT Clutch and he believes the trans has been apart. Does any one know if shep or any other trans shops make any distinguishing marks on the Tcases or trans when they rebuild them?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Sorry to hear about the motor Sam- let me know if I can do anything to help!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

i'll keep you guys up to date. Right now we have the new internals in hand and are in the middle of pulling the motor once its out we can get inside and figure out what happened, and how bad it really is. #3 and 4 spark plugs made "contact" with some thing.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:33 AM
Evolving Member

alright the latest, i just wanna put it out there that dropping the Tcase and Trans with out having done it before in the Evo is a HUGE PITA! Since i have internals/cams/ and other supporting mods what turbo would any of you reccomend i go with i was considering FP Black DBB and as of last night i had a conversation that has me leaning toward a 6262? this is for a DD with a goal of mid/low 11s 1/4 mile... preferably on pump. currently i have a IX turbo(10.5) and my last dyno session she made 359WHP(dynojet)
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...on-6262-a.html
Ps: also discovered whiteline ball joints.

Last edited by USCGSAM; Jun 26, 2012 at 03:37 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honey Badger build thread