Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Honey Badger build thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 02:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
What caused the oil pump to fail? How old is it?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 04:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Wow that sucks!
Old Jun 11, 2017, 08:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
awesome build, love the purple on the engine kinda like hks purple
Old Jun 13, 2017, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin Troy
Sorry to hear that.
What caused the oil pump to fail? How old is it?
it was BRAND NEW OEM, I put 400 cruising highway miles on the build driving it home from Chicago to Detroit. then another random 100 miles around town. and the readings were all over the place and then it started to read low oil pressure and that's when I parked it until I could get it back to them. and that's when they discovered the problem and damage.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by USCGSAM
it was BRAND NEW OEM, I put 400 cruising highway miles on the build driving it home from Chicago to Detroit. then another random 100 miles around town. and the readings were all over the place and then it started to read low oil pressure and that's when I parked it until I could get it back to them. and that's when they discovered the problem and damage.
More than likely something in the motor was not properly clearanced. When the bearing failed it sent debris into the pump and caused it to fail. Do you have balance shaft delete? If using the stubby type shaft and the timing belt is to tight, it can cause an oil pump failure also. If the oil cooler wasn't replaced from the first engine failure that could be the cause also, there really is no way to ensure all the debris is cleaned out. It really doesn't matter what happened, if Boostin did all the work start to finish it's their baby and they should repair it free of charge. They will probably loose a little $$$ on the job but more than likely they missed something. Brand new mitsu oil pumps don't fail for no reason.

Last edited by 2winscroll; Jun 14, 2017 at 07:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
USCGSAM (Jun 15, 2017)
Old Jun 15, 2017, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

boostin did a temporary oil cooler delete for that very reason, they didn't feel safe reusing the oil cooler from the failed engine. I do have a balance shaft delete. its a a brand new OEM block as well as many other parts.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

well Boostin has had me back on the road for a while now and I feel pretty confident in the car this time. she drinks motor oil, but its not unusual for a built motor to do that considering forged internals etc. I must say I am pretty happy with the 2.4L and the boostin tune as well. I took her to work a few times so I could get the DD (Silverado) into chevy for some much over due TLC. one of my coworkers has a EVO X, and every one on base was asking "how come his evo doesn't sound like that?" lol. I haven't had her out to the track yet to see what she can do but she definitely puts smiles on my son and I's faces under boost.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 10:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Define "drinks" motor oil. A certain amount is too much, and how I would define a motor as "drinking" oil would be too much.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 03:11 AM
Evolving Member

I don't drive it regularly, and the amount that I have driven it, 1200 miles into the build and she was about a 3/4 qt low? I simply check it every time I drive, this may not be the case come summer so, we shall see as i'll have more opportunity to drive it.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 06:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
3/4qt in 1200 Miles isn't terrible at all. Would hardly consider that drinking oil.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by USCGSAM
well Boostin has had me back on the road for a while now and I feel pretty confident in the car this time. she drinks motor oil, but its not unusual for a built motor to do that considering forged internals etc. I must say I am pretty happy with the 2.4L and the boostin tune as well. I took her to work a few times so I could get the DD (Silverado) into chevy for some much over due TLC. one of my coworkers has a EVO X, and every one on base was asking "how come his evo doesn't sound like that?" lol. I haven't had her out to the track yet to see what she can do but she definitely puts smiles on my son and I's faces under boost.
What happened with the oil pump? What caused the failure or what failed first? Oil pumps don't usually just crap the bed by themselves for no reason.

Curious what boostin did for you whether they warrantied it or gave you a break on fixing it or what?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
What happened with the oil pump? What caused the failure or what failed first? Oil pumps don't usually just crap the bed by themselves for no reason.

Curious what boostin did for you whether they warrantied it or gave you a break on fixing it or what?

Boostin did a bit of all the above, I believe mitsu replaced the pump and Boostin worked with me on cost/parts/labor. I never got a reason for the pump failure, but then again I never asked. I was a bit more concerned with how we are going to get the car back operational. maybe Boostin will comment and speculate on what may have caused pump failure.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

now living in Sault Ste Marie MI, the car is in storage in Detroit, when ever it runs the MAP is registering that its seeing a strong vacuum as though the car is in space, I changed the sensor for a new one same thing. even if it is revved and the boost blows off, still seeing a vacuum on the EMS computer....if any one in the Detroit area can meet up to take a look it would be appreciated. I am just starting to get tired of this car always having something...