Notices

evo 5 engine swap question!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2002, 10:31 PM
In Timeout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo 5 engine swap question!!

if i put a evo 5 motor into my mirage do i have to make it awd? can i use the stock mirage tranny? if you have any info or experience or know anyone who does please help me out!
Old Nov 11, 2002, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

what motor did you previously have in your car?....the 1.8 sohc motors tranny should be sufficient enough to work the motor BUT i would recommend you...if you can get a hold of it....use the evo tranny...you can convert it to be a FWD tranny by welding the center dif solid.

if you want talk to the experts at www.mirageforums.com majority of the people in that forum have the same vehicle as yours and a select few are attempting a similar conversion...most of them know what it involves to do a evo conversion and have a vast knowledge in motors/turbos and conversions...so i urge you to go there and ask away in the turbo/motor swap section of that forum.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

Your better off going with the 4G93T off of a Lancer GSR... Way less work. just my 2 cents though...
Old Nov 11, 2002, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

i duno...wouldn't it be the same? isnt the GSR AWD as well? the main reason why 4g63t's are such a ***** to fit is because its AWD...the motors bolt right in and the wiring works the same. Im almost sure its the same with the 4g93t.

Last edited by DriftRunSir; Nov 11, 2002 at 11:26 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 11:30 PM
GsR

yes the 4g93t is a awd

dunno if theres a diff
Old Nov 12, 2002, 01:17 AM
Evolved Member

Why the hell would you waist all that time and money putting a 4G63T (EVO engine) into a Mirage or even a stock Lancer. I will tell you right now you are waisting your time. If you want the power of the Evolution engine buy a EVO, trust me it will be a much better package for not a great deal more (even less in most cases).
Old Nov 12, 2002, 01:22 AM
GsR

cheaper in the long run but for people who havent got cash right now and want the power i think its k00..

a 4g63t mirage wuld b k00 turbo tissue box
Old Nov 12, 2002, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

You will honistly get a heap of SH#T if you do the conversion. Yeah these thing may be ok if they can hold together in a straight line but around the corners......ppppffffftttt don't even try. EVOs are not that expencive for what they are and you simply can not buy a stock Lancer and make it into a EVO.........well it is possible but you would be the biggest idiot, because you would be paying far too much.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 01:34 AM
GsR

im an idiot yeh listen to mivec he knowz alll!
Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

lol...in this guys case..yes he might as well just buy himself an evo...but here in USA we get the stuff that comes out of a bulls ***....so yeah...alot of the EVO's here in the US are home made evo's....the real evo's here in the US have been shipped and registered for twice the price they are worth...IMO building the real deal isn't a bad idea...plus there are so many Rally companies here in the US that they offer services to convert Mirages/Lancer into real Evo's.(not considering the evo7 offered by EvolutionImports)

and about turning...im not too sure about that...if you plan to have the 4g63t as a FWD only i suggest you build your suspension up that way you can turn with a bit of ease...i have seen Civic hatchbacks with b18's and H22A's producing well over 240hp and still be able to keep up with the guys on the S turns. That scenario is even worse...a even smaller and lighter car with a equal motor to a stock 4g63t...power and weight wise....those cars should be flipping upside down on those turns but i've seen them handle just as good as the others out there.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

if i could i would just swap a mivec motor in my car...but gas here sux *** and getting a hold of a 2nd gen Mivec is harder then getting a 4g63t off an evo.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 02:53 PM

Mivecs right. I myself have research the option of putting an evo or gsr engine in my Lancer and in the end with the cost and the problems with the body, it will be worth investing money in a real evo. You could buy a gsr and put a evo turbo in etc or put in a evo motor. The gsr and evo body were designed to handle the power while the stock lancers and mirages would be under alot of stress and would not last in the long run. Keep looking into the idea anyway and look at all the options. Be patient too.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

actually TAD Motorsports has already built quite a few Evo's here in the US...they are located in Lake Zurich, IL. and offer a complete evo conversion...suspension,rally worthy chassis stiffening...awd conversion...the whole shabang...they charge 10k for the conversion...they offer the conversion for rally racing purposes only but alot of their customers are driving them on the road...

the blue book right now and resale value for mitsu's is a 1998 Mitsu Mirage 4dr. blue book value is 5k... thats 15k for an EVO and its rally worthy. IMO i think thats a good deal...REAL EVO4's/5's go for at the least 23k an EVO6 or Tommy Makinen Edition here in the US go well over 30k used from a previous owner in the US ...meaning that its already been modified and used here in the US so it wont have its original 30k miles and under...like most importers gaurantee them as...and second having a real Evo with incorrect VIN#'s can cause alot of problems...especially with insurance...$$$$$$$
Old Nov 12, 2002, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

You poor Americans.....you have it a lot worse than we do, and we don't have it that good. The question I must ask is why was this question posted in the Australian forum?
Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

lol i have no clue...but im hella bugged out that you guys out there get a ton better cars then we do here in the US...dammit...

Quick Reply: evo 5 engine swap question!!