Notices

4G93 DOHC into CC Lancer?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2003, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4G93 DOHC into CC Lancer?

I have a cc lancer with a 4G93 SOHC 1.8 and its been playin up on me lately. I was just pondering on the idea of replacing my current engine with a 4G93 DOHC. I dont want to go turbo for insurance reasons.
Also i would like to convert my auto box to manual. Would it be easier to get a front cut with the DOHC engine and a manual transmission then just do a changeover (engine, transmission, computer, etc.) in one go? i have read that the 4G93 DOHC is pretty hard to find.
How much would parts/labour roughly cost?
Is there any other specific mods to the car that have to be done i.e. brakes etc?
Has anyone done this before?
I dont know much about conversions and the like so any ideas/info would be helpful.

Thanks,
Kev.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

I would search through forums etc in NZ as these engine are far more common there than they will ever be here. If you can just get the head and swap that over, you will need the ECU etc, but I dont think it would be all too hard.

Now having said all of that, I would not do this conversion unless you can pick up the parts cheap as chips. The performance you will get for the money you spend is simply not worth it unfortunately.

As far as insurance is concerned, I am sure a engine conversion of any type is going to be about as bad as a turbo conversion or the like. Unfortunately you are in the same boat as a lot of other people and unfortunately there is not a lot of places to go. End of the day performance always costs money, the more you spend the more you get.

Why not play with your current engine a little? If you bought some cams, TB, piggy back computer, exhuast, headders, you would have easily the same amount of power as the DOHC version anyway..........it is worth a thought.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:40 AM

Ok cool thanks buddy.
What about a manual transmission conversion any idea how much something like that would cost? is it difficult to do?