Notices

Supercharged Lancer anyone??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2004, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharged Lancer anyone??

Wondering if there are any other Australian Lancer owners on the forum with supercharged engines. We could share some experiences maybe

Once that supercharged boost gets flowing it takes a fair machine to outrun the potent 4G93
Old Jun 12, 2004, 05:35 PM
tux

I was thinking about doing something like that to mine! How much would it cost, I have a 2002 CE Lancer just like yours (cept black and 4 door ). I seen your vids and your pretty damn quick!! What implications are there for doing this? does it affect anything internally? What about insurance, id definatley need insurance , is insurance possible ? Im 22, no claims and had my car for 2 years? dont know if that means much!

But let me know!

Cheers
Old Jun 12, 2004, 05:38 PM
tux

Sorry, should have checked your site first! are there any extra costs ? I would only consider getting the 160kw version if anything.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Implications? Unless you get a FULL brake upgrade (rotors, pads, calipers, lines) I wouldn't even think about it. I doubt ANY insurance company would be brave enough to cover you without that mod to go with the supercharger.

I respect what Raptor has done to his car, but I can't really see the point. Why wouldn't you just turbo the standard engine, or get a transplant? Turbos are well known as being far more efficient that s/charging and will ultimately produce better power.

IMHO, supercharging really only makes sense on vehicles where a turbo install wont fit, or is simply too cost prohibitive. The Lancer isn't one of those vehicles.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:15 AM

I thought this thread was started to ask if anyone else had supercharged lancers, not to downgrade and discourage ppl from getting a blower. But while you brought it up, there are advantages of supercharges and turbos. Yes, turbos have the potential for greater power gains, but with a supercharger you get instant power because there is no "lag" as what you would get with a turbo so for city driving or races over short distances where take off is critical, then a supercharger would be more of an advantage. It just comes down to what you want to get from your car.

There is already a thread with this discussion of Supercharger vs. Turbo so i dont think it is necassary to start it again.

Last edited by MRlancerboy; Jun 13, 2004 at 10:21 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Implications? Unless you get a FULL brake upgrade (rotors, pads, calipers, lines) I wouldn't even think about it. I doubt ANY insurance company would be brave enough to cover you without that mod to go with the supercharger.
The above statement is incorrect. Our car is comprehensively insured for just a few more dollars than a stocker, the age of the driver does help immensly. So if you want to get boosted, know your car is insurable with people like Shannons etc.

I respect what Raptor has done to his car, but I can't really see the point. Why wouldn't you just turbo the standard engine, or get a transplant?
Supercharge or turbo there is no particular difference in the net power gain @ at given psi. The supercharged setup is beautiful to drive, just like big block V8, nice power everywhere instead of a sudden step where the power suddenly starts happening like in turbo setup. The supercharger setup has superior fuel economy, maybe that says something about the efficiency of what we are doing , and the power is certainly there

MRlancerboy is right, lets stick with the thread direction, who else out there has a supercharged Lancer
Old Jun 13, 2004, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MRlancerboy
I thought this thread was started to ask if anyone else had supercharged lancers, not to downgrade and discourage ppl from getting a blower. But while you brought it up, there are advantages of supercharges and turbos. Yes, turbos have the potential for greater power gains, but with a supercharger you get instant power because there is no "lag" as what you would get with a turbo so for city driving or races over short distances where take off is critical, then a supercharger would be more of an advantage. It just comes down to what you want to get from your car.

There is already a thread with this discussion of Supercharger vs. Turbo so i dont think it is necassary to start it again.
Raptor started this thread to sell superchargers, period. He sells them, he wants you to buy them, lets not get all romantic about his intentions.

I'd feel much more comfortable about his integrity if he spent as much time encouraging potential buyers to consider the implications of installing a supercharger - such as making sure you perform a comprehensive brake upgrade, the fact that your insurance options decrease markedly - as he does trying to sell them to young and impressionable forummers with cash to spend.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Raptor started this thread to sell superchargers
Raptor is actually pure with his intention on this thread, this is a Lancer owners interest thread and shall remain open to all who have supercharged Lancer/s in Aus and USA if they like. RIPP kits and all manner of US kit owners are welcome to post as are Australians with PD blowers etc etc. Who knows someone maybe be running a Lysholm or Vane type both effective in their own fashion

I also can offer a 4 wheel disc kit if you like (our price is competitive), however people perfer to arrange their own barkes as they like, thats the benefit of free choice . There are many brake upgrade kits also available through RPW etc who certainly don't mind providing this service to anyone who has a boosted Lancer, super/turbo or otherwise.

Grandad, its not to hard to be impressioned with the facts. There are some thread prior to this which are tell the story going back a little while now.

Maybe we could do something with your BMW to make it a little more exciting and make your life more interesting

EVO8 if you like start a new thread dedicated to whatever you agenda is and let this one continue for the original purpose as stated in first lines of this post.

Last edited by Raptor; Jun 13, 2004 at 10:55 PM. Reason: update
Old Jun 14, 2004, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Grandad? I'm only 30 mate, and the BMW is going this Friday to make way for an Evo8. My last 4 cars have been a TX3 turbo, Lancer GSR turbo, sub-13 Subaru WRX, and an Evo 4 Lancer.

All i'll add (unless provoked into something further) is that whilst $5300 sounds pretty sweet to supercharge your Lancer, thats hardly the end of your costs if you want to do the job properly. Just helping the kids - and many of them are 'kids' - to look a little bit deeper and not be swept up in testosterone marketing.

Old Jun 14, 2004, 07:29 AM
tux

Originally Posted by Evo8DownUnder
Raptor started this thread to sell superchargers, period. He sells them, he wants you to buy them, lets not get all romantic about his intentions.
Lol, i think there is some truth in that! Dont get me wrong, this is a good place to sell your products with other enthusiasts, but I have to agree with Evo8 here.

Evo8, I appreciate your help in regards to "hidden costs" when boosting stock lancers. I would love to do it but I am too sceptical of what else I would need to do and what I will have to replace, 6,12 months down the track. $5k is a lot of money to throw at them when I wont be getting it back, a car is hardly an investment.

Oh, and im no kid 22, but still just as unfamiliar and inexperienced with mods i spose!
Old Jun 14, 2004, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

I was provoked.

tux - it does cost a lot to properly mod a car. I had an $8000 APS R/T spec kit put on my MY98 wrx, but that wasn't the end of the costs by a long shot.

Insurance leaped from about $1500 a year to over 3K, and unless I wanted a prohibitive excess attached to it, I could only get that from Shannons. Fortunately, I could afford it and had budgeted for it. I then fitted the MY99-spec 4 pot front brakes and lines with an MY99 master cylinder and booster. Pagid pads all round. Another grand, once fitted. btw, thats not retail, I bought them off a mate upgrading to Brembos.

If you can afford to mod your car properly, go right ahead. But if you just want to do half the job and make it go fast you are creating a 1 tonne deathtrap for you, your passengers, and the public at large.

I note that Raptor mentions a four wheel disc kit. First of all, how much is that? Whats included? Master cylinder, lines, pads, calipers????? I can't believe that people would even consider fitting a s/c to a car that has drum brakes residing at one end!

Last edited by Evo8DownUnder; Jun 14, 2004 at 08:19 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 02:47 AM
Evolving Member

Cat got your tongue Raptor? I'm waiting for brake upgrade details, out of interests sake. I'm sure a few prospective buyers might also be interested.

Old Jun 18, 2004, 05:45 AM

Surely a brake upgrade isnt necessary....I mean it will still take the same amount of braking to stop from 100 as it did before? The car will not be noticeably heavier will it? The brake upgrade is an upgrade that should be thought about anyway isnt it or if you are going to be on a circuit where extreme braking is an issue i would have thought. So it shouldnt be a compulsory upgrade just because you can get to speed quicker.......could be wrong though!

Jaime
Old Jun 18, 2004, 06:36 AM

strangely that is a sore point with the lancer as the standard brakes are prone to warpping if abused from pulling a car up after its had a head of speed up.

just ask chowetime about how quick her brakes started to show the strain of slowing her car down which brought about the 4 wheel disc conversion using some decent brakes of the jap spec gsr ce which do look nice and now pulls it up in no time
Old Jun 18, 2004, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

EVO8downunder reply

Further to a well and truly hijacked thread

OK, our car (private) meets the requirements of our insurer and the state regulations in its current state and has been inspected by certified inspection station in accordance to the appropriate codes. In this its brakes are genuine Mitsubishi.

I might add as sonic has that if you are driving within regulated speed zones and are you are not breaking the law ie exceeding zone speed limit then car is not more or less dangerous than it ever was. It is still one ton of mass than can and will be sufficiently braked within normal braking distances if you are driving within in the law. So no, its not
and make it go fast you are creating a 1 tonne deathtrap
. If the road sign is 60 then 60 you go and car will always be able to stop safely within original specifications............ditto for the rest.

Circuit or some other form of competition will definitely required a better braking system. But thats another thing altogether, and I would also suspect many insurance companies will not insure a car in this environment as well.

As for ongoing costs the first level has none, car will perform flawlessly for a long time. Above that level a clutch kit is recommended, otherwise keep driving . How do I know this??? Its what we do everyday! My insurance went up from $380 to $460 for full comprehensive (qld) after blower kit was added. Didn't cause too much pain and its actually a little cheaper than that at the moment.

Further to our friend EVO8downunders shining example of righteousness is this, quoting him
My last 4 cars have been a TX3 turbo, Lancer GSR turbo, sub-13 Subaru WRX, and an Evo 4 Lancer
. I think I could safely say all your cars were modified to some degree and in doing so possibly none of them complied (maybe the APS setup was within the laws) with the ADRs laid down for them. A 12 something second subaru wouldn't be too much safer if any safer than a 14 second Lancer, braking wise. And I will add, I have a WRX too MY98, so yes I do have some idea of whats going on!

Hope this has covered most things.

Last edited by Raptor; Jun 18, 2004 at 11:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Supercharged Lancer anyone??