Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Ticketed for Loud Exhaust -- AMS TBE w/ Hi Flow Cat

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2005, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everybodys input is appreciated
Old Nov 22, 2005, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, that really sucks.

I got pulled over in my town in WI for no front plate and the cop gave me a "talking" to about my aftermarket exhaust. I only got a fix-it ticket for the front plate.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BluByWho
First and Foremost watch who you call Kids. Second I dont think I am whining anywhere in my thread, I'm sharing my experience. My car is emissions compliant, I have a cat. If you wanna sit here and discuss technicalities of the law another time and another thread will do just fine. Now that you have wasted my time with totally unrelated input twice I would appreciate you not post anymore, if you wanna waste your own time fine, dont waste mine.

On a side note I went to the DMV and got a new license before my other license hit processing and they wouldnt issue me a new one so I at least have a picture ID covered for blackout wednesday tomorrow. I'll just pay my fine and keep racking these tickets up, until they can actually pull me over for moving violations I'll continue to just pay these fines and leave it at that.
I used to do that all the time I had 3 at one time. thats so dumb how Il keeps your license til ya go to court
Old Nov 22, 2005, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Stop&TurnFreak
You got screwed. Tickets are always up to the officer. Maybe he was having a bad day. I would find out what your recourse is, get a lawyer, they will know right off. It may be you can prove you are under the legal limit, and then get the ticket thrown out.

Trust me, I never got ticketed in my Mustang, which was 3x louder than my Evo, but to be sure, I never tach up or even launch hard around officers. I usually about bog it out taking off.

U shouldnt even compare Domestics with Imports. Its Stupid. V6 Mustang with Loud Flows driving by Evo with Quiet Catback, Evo will get pulled over for loud exhaust because its an import! F*** Pigs...
Old Nov 22, 2005, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

man i got three of those, i dont know how it works where you are but here in queens all you have to do is get a bull**** reciept from a mechanic shop that you fixed your muffler and go to court and it will be dismissed.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 09:05 PM

Last edited by stiklr; Nov 22, 2005 at 09:11 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 09:06 PM

Next time you get pulled over for speeding, no front plates, tinted windows, or having a birdfeeder rear wing, shut the car off. This way they can't hear the loud buzzing up close, and they will apeciate you shutting it down, so they dont have to worry about you flooring it when they get a foot from your window.
I have been pulled over for tints 9 times this yr and I have shut her down everytime with no exhaust ticket issues ( knock on wood ), and I have the Buschur TBE w/o cats.
It is about as loud as not having a muffler at all.
Just an idea.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 09:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Once you get pulled over cops usually look for other tickets to give you.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
trust me, I have received many tickets and went to court a lot. You can argue all you want, but it's the cops word against yours. If you supposidly had a decibal meter and had what the city limits were, it would have to be done in front of the officer at time of the violation imo to have a valid arguement. The court is going to want money and they will most likely get it. Why don't you borrow someones stock exhaust... put it on, take a picture bring it to court and let them know you did something to correct the issue, and ask them to meet halfway on the fine. I'm not exactly sure, but I believe the points against you are for moving violations... you can call a local courhouse clerk and ask them. If it were me, it's not worth the hassle and pay the ticket... just not worth the time off of work or effort to swap exhausts.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

I believe federal law is you cannot replace your catalytic converter for 50,000 miles, after that you can replace it with another converter, but the vehicle must have one. I dont think you will get a ticket for replacing it sooner but i do believe this is the law.

When i was cited for this, the cop told me ALL aftermarket mufflers were illegal.
so I found this.
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=61938
may or may not help, but the info i thought was pretty interesting.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by BluByWho
I dont think we have fix-it tickets here in IL
Actually yes we do. My SRT-4 hits about 120db with the bigger turbo, and 3" 02 now, and got one $150 ticket, but it was a warning with a box checked that said "must comply to an official officer or face tickets" or somethin along them lines... Itasca sucks ***...and I don't even live in Itasca...so thankfully I can bend pipes (without a mandrel bender lol) and made a 2.25" exhaust and threw a couple cats from other cars on there, went to the police station and said "yea I fixed it" and they let me off....be lucky you didn't get those... 3"-2.25" ...whew what a transition that was

Originally Posted by HiRevnVIII
I believe federal law is you cannot replace your catalytic converter for 50,000 miles, after that you can replace it with another converter, but the vehicle must have one. I dont think you will get a ticket for replacing it sooner but i do believe this is the law.

When i was cited for this, the cop told me ALL aftermarket mufflers were illegal.
so I found this.
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=61938
may or may not help, but the info i thought was pretty interesting.
Actually the rule is you can't change ANYTHING on your car now...I had a friend get pulled over for having rims on his car, and it being "too low" on his Evo 8 MR, others for 70% UV tinted windows, others for the stupidest things...you cant change your car from factory spec...well..thats how Illinois is at least...

Last edited by PsiFiSRT4; Nov 23, 2005 at 11:00 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

this exact thing happened to me, even the front plate part. i was going 25 in 3rd gear so no turbo spool. its a city ordinance not a moving violation, same court room at dupage though. and it there is no limit to the decibal level. the police told me if it is not a stock replacement it is illegal, but they usually do not give you that ticket unless you were running around like a mad man and they had to get you on something. that was not my experience though and from the sound of it, it wasn't yours either. they told me if i go to court the judge will ask if it is stock, if not, your guilty, if it is stock they will want to see it. its stupid. but just pay it so you don't waste a day of work, $10 in gas getting to court, hours of no talking, reading, or moving, etc. if you do though, say hi to Edmund for me.

Originally Posted by Milltown Inc
your lucky dont whine....
what? b/c it is louder and faster then stock or emmissions? cause i tell you what, a harley is louder, a vette is faster, trucks produce more emissions. either way you don't live here or understand why chicago makes stupid laws like this. it is also illegal to warm up your car in chicago if you are not in it, what validity is in that law? oh yeah more money for our corrupt mayor.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 03:49 AM
Account Disabled

I live in milwaukee and there are heaps of guys running around all summer long with harleys that shake the ground as they go by. How exactly do they get away with it?

Land of the free indeed in the ukraine where I am from driving against traffic is a $10.00 ticket and drunk driving is $100.00 and the cops drive you home and make sure you get in bed ok.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a dump and a SIDE-PIPE! I drove the car for a month with the dump motor in for warranty, and the exhaust was flowing out the side pipe! Talk about loud! (I have a video on here , driving by with the sidepipe open/and with it shut. both are loud) I just put the car in neutral when passing a cop on a 2 lane road. My turn will come I am sure, but to this date, I have NO tickets. (knock on wood) On a side note, do you know where that saying comes from? It is some religious thing, like knocking on the wood of the cross. just thought you could use that info, if you ever run out of things to talk about.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

U shouldnt even compare Domestics with Imports. Its Stupid. V6 Mustang with Loud Flows driving by Evo with Quiet Catback, Evo will get pulled over for loud exhaust because its an import! F*** Pigs...
Um, know, I had a Mustang GT with about every suspension mod you could do, plus custom tuning, and Bassani exhaust. A six cylinder mustang is a NONO in this area.

Quick Reply: Ticketed for Loud Exhaust -- AMS TBE w/ Hi Flow Cat