Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

JRZ Testing Inside!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
And with that said, Im closing our shop and moving there! Can I have a job?
haha

-Emery
Old Jul 21, 2007, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great! I'm watching threads like these with great interest. Matin has definitely caught the road racing bug.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

great, how about placing that instrument in an effort to measure downforce with various wings and underpanels?

unless it really is for a 1/5 scale rc car.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we can see the downforce levels from the current data. There will be more aero developments in the coming months.

Bryan
Old Jul 21, 2007, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

that will be great Bryan. even knowing the worth of the stock wing would be interesting.
but beyond that we will all be very interested in the results of whatever products you test.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Am I seeing correctly, is that a 1000#/in. spring? Very interesting . . .

Can I ask, what makes the JRZ better than the Ohlins you were using? Assuming you could have the Ohlins revalved to have the same dampning curve as the JRZ you are now testing, is there something else that gives the JRZ the win?

EVOlutionary
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

jesus.. ams doesnt believe in half assing anything do they? i would love to see the car that can top this time attack beast.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:30 PM
Account Disabled

So, when are you guys going to Japan to beat the Tsukuba lap record? It would be so cool for an American team to set a new record at that track.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

No one at AMS has ever half-assed anything in the 3 years I have known them.

Martin, Mark, Bryan, Great Job.

I can't wait to see th results. I just wish I could find an RS to get those things on.

BOL, STF
Old Jul 22, 2007, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Am I seeing correctly, is that a 1000#/in. spring? Very interesting . . .

Can I ask, what makes the JRZ better than the Ohlins you were using? Assuming you could have the Ohlins revalved to have the same dampning curve as the JRZ you are now testing, is there something else that gives the JRZ the win?

EVOlutionary

Spring rates could go higher. Still learning the BFG so we will see.

If you took a set of ohlins and a set of JRZs and matched valvings you would still have two different characteristics. The range of adjustment and the steps in between said adjustments are much different. The JRZ has a larger valving range and larger adjustment steps. This enables all of our customers to make adjustments that have a real effect on the cars handling. When you are ready to tune in between the clicks of the JRZ feel free to give me a call.

Also, the shocks behave differently as they accelerate. Getting a shock to have the right response properties is just as important as the "shock curve" most people discuss. The shock never really behaves like that unless there is some sort of perfect "ramp" bump that you hit. I won't go into the details of how we made our dampers respond, but suffice to say you can double stint a tire with JRZ.

Finally, engineering support FTW

Best,

Bryan Hise
Race Car Engineering, Product Development
JRZ USA Suspension Engineering
bryan@jrzusa.com
410-799-7798.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bryan at JRZUSA
Spring rates could go higher. Still learning the BFG so we will see.

If you took a set of ohlins and a set of JRZs and matched valvings you would still have two different characteristics. The range of adjustment and the steps in between said adjustments are much different. The JRZ has a larger valving range and larger adjustment steps. This enables all of our customers to make adjustments that have a real effect on the cars handling. When you are ready to tune in between the clicks of the JRZ feel free to give me a call.

Also, the shocks behave differently as they accelerate. Getting a shock to have the right response properties is just as important as the "shock curve" most people discuss. The shock never really behaves like that unless there is some sort of perfect "ramp" bump that you hit. I won't go into the details of how we made our dampers respond, but suffice to say you can double stint a tire with JRZ.

Finally, engineering support FTW . . . .
Thank you for the reply. I understand why your increased adjustment range would be good for shocks you are selling to consumers - eveyone's cars are set up a little different with different spring rates, tires, weights, etc. A large range of adjustment is needed to be sure the dampning can be made to match up with both a softly sprung daily driver or a hard-core track setup. You can have one unit to produce that will work for everything - and that will save production time and money.

I also understand why AMS has switched to a manufacturer who will give direct factory support in getting their car set up. It is great to have access to a manufacturer here in the US how can give direct support.

What I don't understand is your comment about JRZ and Ohlins working differently "as they accellerate". If you have a set of each with the same dampning curves, and both have X lb/in dampning at 3in/sec. and Y
lb/in dampning at 6in/sec. , are you saying that they behave differently as they accellerate from X to Y? How so? (Not how did you do it, but how is it different?)

Last question - for a particular car that already has a properly set up set of Ohlins DA/PB shocks that does not need a huge adjustment range (only enough to account for tire brand and surface grip changes), is there a benefit to be realized in switching to JRZ, and what magnitude of benefit?

Thanks!

EVOlutionary
Old Jul 23, 2007, 09:24 AM

The gist of the concept is this:

If the shock is traveling a 3 in/s but accelerating at 22 in/(s^2) the shocks with the same "damping curve" will actually be making a different force. You want a shock that responds better ex 95% of X instead of 88% of X. That gives the car a better handling characteristic and improves tire wear. Our dampers are designed to have a better response compared to competitors.

As far as the shocks that may be considered properly set up, you would be surprised at the range needed to go from track to track (even day to day) to obtain the maximum from the car/tire. Especially if you are changing springs.

Best,

Bryan Hise
Race Car Engineering, Product Development
JRZ USA Suspension Engineering
bryan@jrzusa.com
410-799-7798
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Can acceleration forces be measured on your average shock dyno or do you need specialized equipment for that?

EVOlutionary
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:11 AM

It is possible to see on a rotary dyno but its easier to see on an EMA/linear dyno.

Bryan
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, this is amazing information and work. Awesome stuff Bryan, no wonder our Formula SAE car did so well, I remember seeing those linear potentiometers everywhere. Looking forward to seeing what you guys can come up with to improve the aerodynamics on the car.

Nice shirt btw , UMD FTW!

Last edited by dcorn; Jul 23, 2007 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply: JRZ Testing Inside!