Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Why AMS recommends Race balance shafts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bought this and love it, engine revs so easly. I did notice a little increase in vibration in certain rpm ranges, mostly low rpm around 2500-3500. However if you are doing this who really cares if it vibrates a little more.
Just a few questions for you AMS guys.
1. what is the weight of the stock (eliminated) shaft?
2. what is the wight diff. in the stock shaft vs. the milled one?
3. what if known is the rotational weight removed from the engine?

If you can answer thanks.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 08:35 AM
Former Sponsor

The weight of both of the factory balance shafts together is 5.2 pounds.

The weight of the rear ( oil pump shaft ) is 2.2 pounds.

The weight of our race shaft is 1.0

The weight of the front shaft which gets completely eliminated is 3 pounds.

You are eliminating 4.2 pounds from the motor all together and you are saving 1.2 pounds from the factory rear shaft to our race rear shaft.

I hope this helps
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

yup thanks for the info. One more..lets say @ 6K rpm how much rotational force weight is lost. I'm not sure if that is the best way to explain it. Crank @ 6k bal. shaft @ 12k rpm. an object spinning that fast has rotational weight generated by spinning. any Idea how much is cut off using your kit?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this something recommended for every Evo or for heavily modded. In other words what would need to be done for this to be recommended?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mitsumanny
Is this something recommended for every Evo or for heavily modded. In other words what would need to be done for this to be recommended?

Thanks in advance.

We recommend doing this modification when the motor is being built. It is for cars making 300 all the way to 1000whp.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Quoted from the good old VFAQ for DSM's..

So why do it?

Simply put, reliability. The balance shafts are only there for your butt, not the engine. They are there to cancel out vibrations at idle and around 3-4K that would be annoying to the average driver that just owns a car for transportation, and wants the drive to be as smooth as possible. For the enthusiast, though, the slightly increased vibration from removing the shafts can easily be tolerated (right after doing this mod, you may think the vibration is much worse, but the vast majority of people barely notice it after a couple of days). The balance shaft system adds more complexity to the engine. Most importantly, if the front balance shaft belt breaks, it can tangle itself in the timing belt, leading to a trashed engine. Too many dealerships replace the timing belt and leave the old balance shaft belt in place if it looks OK. If you have a shop of any type replace your timing belt, MAKE THEM REPLACE THE BALANCE SHAFT BELT ALSO, no matter how new it is!. I know someone who had a balance shaft belt fail after roughly 30K miles, he got lucky and caught it before it tore up the timing belt and trashed his engine.

There is no reliability decrease from removing the shafts as long as the job is done properly. Reliability should actually increase, and the engine should rev slightly easier, as there is less reciprocating weight for the crank to accelerate/decelerate (roughly 5-7 lbs for both shafts). The only real drawback is that the engine will vibrate a bit more at idle and about 3-4K rpm (some people have reported it vibrating harder at 6K and up, but I haven't seen that on my 3 cars). You do NOT have to have your entire shortblock balanced to do this job. It will smooth out the engine a bit, but it isn't absolutely necessary. I balanced the engine on one of my cars, not the other 2, and they don't vibrate that much more than the balanced engine. However, if you are doing a complete rebuild on your engine, balancing it wouldn't hurt. 4G63s are usually very well balanced from the factory, so very little needs to be done to have them fully balanced.

Removing the balance shafts also makes future timing belt replacements a lot easier - I can replace a timing belt and all pulleys, etc, on my car in less than an hour (of course, I have removed the power steering and AC, that cuts down on the time a lot).

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks in advance.
I would not recommend this if you're still on the stock ECU. I don't know how much work has been done to enable the tweaking of the stock knock-filtering algorithms (see the ECUflash forum for that), but I can tell you from personal experience that the stock ECU on my '03 was not happy at all with the additional vibration of my built 2.0l. After I went to an AEM EMS, it ran a lot happier.

l8r)
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Really good info thanks.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is certainly one informative thread and I've learned a lot. I'm presently getting a 2.4L build by SBR. The engine block is going to be sent to JMS Racing @ San Antonio where it will be matched to my JMS Racing built head and installed into my EVO VIII. My question is whether or not I need to send the race balance shaft to SBR in Florida or to JMS Racing in San Antonio?

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
When building a motor most people remove the balance shafts to prevent from having a balance shaft belt failing and taking out the timing belt and such.
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
It is generally recommended that you remove the balance shafts if you're trying for very high RPMs - i.e. in excess of 8500. Since the shafts spin at twice the RPM, they may become a liability as you rev the engine higher. IMO, the AMS kit is especially nice if you're road racing or Autocrossing, since it provides some support during high cornering loads. If you plan on tuning with the stock ECU, however, I would strongly recommend sticking to a lower RPM limit and keeping the shafts in there.
I don't know how you can adamantly disagree with the shafts not providing a benefit. Yes, I understand the knock concern when dealing with the stock ECU but I'm sure that issue can be remedied, right?

Originally Posted by EricJ@AMS
This will work in a 4g64 block. We use 4g64 blocks for 2.1 and 2.3RR motors.
This is very nice to know.

Originally Posted by Scott@AMS
With the AMS race balance shaft kit the belt is eliminated along with the shaft that was driven by it. We have the counterweight machined off of the shaft that is driven by the oil pump. Once that is done it can be re-installed so that you have all of the support of the full balance shaft without all of the weight.
This is very nice to know.

Originally Posted by Scott@AMS
The pulley eliminator is a spacer that goes in place of the balance shaft pulley that is on the crankshaft. It weighs about 1/4 of what the full pulley weighs.
Awesome!
Old Feb 6, 2010, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

So with this part I will not have to buy the balance shaft eliminator kit, right?
Old Feb 6, 2010, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pure_evo
I don't know how you can adamantly disagree with the shafts not providing a benefit. Yes, I understand the knock concern when dealing with the stock ECU but I'm sure that issue can be remedied, right? ...
I didn't think I was disagreeing ... but just to be clear, I do think that there is a clear benefit for high RPM use. It's actually difficult to describe the effect - I guess the best way to sum it up is to say that my built 2.0 revs super smooth once it clears 4000 RPM ... all the way to 9000+ RPM. It's one of the sweetest revving engines I've driven on a track. As I said in my last post here, I definitely had issues with the stock ECU. At times it would pull so much timing, the car would be down about 60whp (I posted a chart of that in one of my posts somewhere on this forum). Other times it would be completely fine. It was a major PITA to deal with, and I finally 'fixed' it by going to a standalone. There may be some mods by now to address this, but it will literally require either removal of the stock ECU's knock protection, or heavy tweaking of the ECU's knock algorithm.

l8r)
Old Feb 6, 2010, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

^ OK. No problem at all and I'm glad that things were cleared up. Now, if I can get my other questions answered as that would be sweet.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a question.

Why would mitsu have designed a stubby shaft/kit for the 4G61 ... if it wasnt the "best" way to go.

Those motors ran balance shaft-less engines to 100K+ with no issues?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

When you install your race balance shaft do you still rotate the bearing to block the oil passage or no?

Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

The bearings for the shaft that is completely eliminated need to be rotated so the oiling holes don't line up anymore, this will prevent oil pressure loss when the shaft is removed. The bearing for the race shaft can be put in however because the shaft feeds the oil itself rather than the block feeding it through the bearing, I believe that this bearing doesn't have a hole in it.

Originally Posted by Fast Frank
When you install your race balance shaft do you still rotate the bearing to block the oil passage or no?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Why AMS recommends Race balance shafts