Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS 1000WHP GT-R build....lots of pics :)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The cad drawing was done for space constraints to develop the turbo kit. To use the arm to develop a detailed drawing of the GT-R engine bay would not only be horribly time consuming but very unnecessary for what we are doing. The turbo is so detailed because its used is so many CAD images that we needed it to be exact for whatever we are placing it in.

Eric
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
anybody can generate cad models, and shop drawings, the trick is in calling out the tolerances. my .02!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 02:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Video goodness or the preliminary stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JuEO...layer_embedded
Old Dec 16, 2009, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
schweeeeet!

-Jalal
Old Dec 16, 2009, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dcorn
Maybe they'd like to keep some trade secrets and don't want you to know what those tubes and boxes are? You should just to the CAD drawing of the GT-R longblock and send it to them to make it easier for everyone.
I've worked on several projects which required the whole vehicle to be drawn in cad... I was commenting to the attention to detail on the turbo and lack of detail on everything else that wasn't done with the faro arm. From one Engineer to another that does CAD work... I'm sure the AMS guys would rather spend time drawing a turbo than an engine mount or AC lines... I was just calling them out for being ricers. haha. It's simply because there are things that are fun to draw in cad and there are defintely things that aren't.

Cars are looking great! I look forward to the drivetrain development.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's with the cheap ny-trex n20 kit in an 80k car? Just a little odd in my opinion.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

just wow...! amazing work AMS
Old Dec 16, 2009, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drooooooooooolllllllllssssssssss

SUBSCRIBED!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

In the teaser video did Eric say that the engine was hurt before it came to AMS?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:27 PM
Account Disabled

man im going to school right now for mechanical engineering, i would LOVE to work for ams lol
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
I've worked on several projects which required the whole vehicle to be drawn in cad... I was commenting to the attention to detail on the turbo and lack of detail on everything else that wasn't done with the faro arm. From one Engineer to another that does CAD work... I'm sure the AMS guys would rather spend time drawing a turbo than an engine mount or AC lines... I was just calling them out for being ricers. haha. It's simply because there are things that are fun to draw in cad and there are defintely things that aren't.

Cars are looking great! I look forward to the drivetrain development.
im guess they reason why the turbos have more detail are because there designing a turbo kit like erics said in his post, on a side note love those o2 housing you do man work of art . great work guy both cars will be bad ***

derek

Last edited by jdowd; Dec 16, 2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 07:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by japan101
In the teaser video did Eric say that the engine was hurt before it came to AMS?
Yeah, the original owner decided to put a 200 shot on it....didn't last long. So the new owner bought it with a blown motor as he knew he would be building it anyway.

Eric
Old Dec 17, 2009, 07:35 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Evokid03
man im going to school right now for mechanical engineering, i would LOVE to work for ams lol
You better polish up on that high end Calc, thermodynamic, fluids and all that crazy stuff for brain maniacs,

Not all ME fields will be as fun as you see it at AMS believe me i work for an engineering company and is not a cake stress is up the wall.

AMS again very impressive, your CEO has choosen the right path engineering will give you 200% great results, and the fact that you are using CMM equipment is going to be your money maker.

However Erick i dont think you answered one of my questions before about the analysis , i would like to know if you guys have conducted any analysis on your engines, modeling analysis, thermal analysis ect....

Last edited by apagan01; Dec 17, 2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 07:45 AM
Account Disabled

Ya i know its hard, but im slowly geting threw it.. Hopefully i will succeed as i plan to and am now. But time wil tell

lol ive been studyin for the best 48 hours for my final 2day ehhh lol

Originally Posted by apagan01
You better polish up on that high end Calc, thermodynamic, fluids and all that crazy stuff for brain maniacs,

Not all ME fields will be as fun as you see it at AMS believe me i work for an engineering company and is not a cake stress is up the wall.

AMS again very impressive, your CEO has choosen the right path engineering will give you 200% great results, and the fact that you are using CMM equipment is going to be your money maker.

However Erick i dont think you answered one of my questions before about the analysis , i was trying to lear if you guys have conducted any analysis on your engines, modeling analysis, thermal ect....
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evokid03
Ya i know its hard, but im slowly geting threw it.. Hopefully i will succeed as i plan to and am now. But time wil tell

lol ive been studyin for the best 48 hours for my final 2day ehhh lol

Welcome to engineering school. Let the business students do all the partying haha, us engineers handle all of the serious stuff.

AMS, it is awesome you are using 3D design stuff along with the CMM. Once this project is done you'll be able to design other set-ups without actually building it. I often wondered if shops were using this tool, seems like a major advantage to me. I must admit I am extremely jealous of your engineers, makes designing chemical plants mundane. Would love to see more of your 3D models.

This is awesome work and cant wait to see the finished product. Keep it up

Quick Reply: AMS 1000WHP GT-R build....lots of pics :)