Notices

Auto Transmission Issues (Mitsu refuses to help)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2005, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Transmission Issues (Mitsu refuses to help)

To make a long story short - here it goes: I bought my 2003 Lancer (Auto) in January 2003 from Wilson Mitsubishi (located in London, Ontario, Canada). At 40,000 km I complained about the transmission slipping and over-revving. The service manager was unable to "duplicate" the problem and said we cannot do anything about it, however, we will keep it on file, in case anything happens down the road. So then, at 91,000 km, as my warranty was almost done (at 100,000 km) the transmission really starts to act up, by slipping all the time, over-revving at every stop, lurching into traffic, etc... I complain AGAIN to my service manager and they keep the car overnight. I get a call the next day saying that they felt the jumping motion of the transmission and that after it warmed up it wasn't as bad. I have a copy of the technicians notes, and they state "hard downshift not as hard as it feels, motor rocking due to worn mounts" , so I replace the mounts and the problem was still there!!! I complained again and nothing was done. Then at 112,000 km, the transmission completely goes and the service manager says "tough luck" its not our problem, your out of warranty. She then goes on to explain that they have had problems with other automatic transmissions and in those cases, they replaced the persons transmission under warranty. Turns out the VALVE BODY AND REAR HUB ASSEMBLY ARE AN ISSUE FOR LANCERS. I think this is bullsh*t, why did other people get a new tranny and I was not looked after, I was left to pay for a new tranny. I called Mitsubishi Motors Canada and they said that they spoke with the District Parts and Warranty Manager and that he said its "not there problem".

Any ideas on this issue?

I can definately say that Mitsubishi's are NOT the best backed cars in the world. Every person I have dealt with has been rude and I keep on explaining my situation and no one seems to get the point.

P.S. No, there is no mod's, except for a muffler.
Old May 9, 2005, 07:58 PM
cih

i think it should still be covered since you came to them with the problem before the warranty was up and nothing was properly done about it.

keep all your paper work and dont lose it.
Old May 9, 2005, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I KNOW! MITSU DEALER = SH*T! they ripped me off too!
Old May 10, 2005, 05:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by mgstylez
To make a long story short - here it goes: I bought my 2003 Lancer (Auto) in January 2003 from Wilson Mitsubishi (located in London, Ontario, Canada). At 40,000 km I complained about the transmission slipping and over-revving. The service manager was unable to "duplicate" the problem and said we cannot do anything about it, however, we will keep it on file, in case anything happens down the road. So then, at 91,000 km, as my warranty was almost done (at 100,000 km) the transmission really starts to act up, by slipping all the time, over-revving at every stop, lurching into traffic, etc... I complain AGAIN to my service manager and they keep the car overnight. I get a call the next day saying that they felt the jumping motion of the transmission and that after it warmed up it wasn't as bad. I have a copy of the technicians notes, and they state "hard downshift not as hard as it feels, motor rocking due to worn mounts" , so I replace the mounts and the problem was still there!!! I complained again and nothing was done. Then at 112,000 km, the transmission completely goes and the service manager says "tough luck" its not our problem, your out of warranty. She then goes on to explain that they have had problems with other automatic transmissions and in those cases, they replaced the persons transmission under warranty. Turns out the VALVE BODY AND REAR HUB ASSEMBLY ARE AN ISSUE FOR LANCERS. I think this is bullsh*t, why did other people get a new tranny and I was not looked after, I was left to pay for a new tranny. I called Mitsubishi Motors Canada and they said that they spoke with the District Parts and Warranty Manager and that he said its "not there problem".

Any ideas on this issue?

I can definately say that Mitsubishi's are NOT the best backed cars in the world. Every person I have dealt with has been rude and I keep on explaining my situation and no one seems to get the point.

P.S. No, there is no mod's, except for a muffler.
+

Call Jeff at K-W Mitsubishi in Waterloo. He is very friendly. If you are polite to him and explane your story he will help you if he can.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience there are some dealerships that are just crappy. I have been to a handfull of those "stealerships". Now I drive an extra hour just to see Jeff at K-W.
Old May 10, 2005, 11:32 AM

I did contact Mitsubishi Customer Relations and they opened a case. The lady I spoke with called me back yesterday and said the issue is between myself and the dealer, because Mitsu is REFUSING to intervene due to the fact I am now out of factory powertrain warranty!!!!!!! I spoke to my service manager this morning and she said that she spoke with the district parts and service rep for this area, and he said they will only cover the parts required to repair it (the valve body, the rear hub and cover assembly), but not the labour. Now, the way I see it, if they are giving the parts to me under "warranty", aren't they acknowledging that there is a problem and that it is there problem? Yet they won't cover the labour?

I have no idea where to go now...

P.S. I have also filed a complaint with the Better Busienss Bureau...not that its going to help me tho...
Old May 10, 2005, 12:40 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Did they make formal reports of your complaints. If so they will be on record and another dealer will be able to acess them.
Old May 10, 2005, 07:15 PM

Is this the dealership where you purchased your Lancer?

http://www.wilsonmitsubishi.ca/
Old May 11, 2005, 09:55 AM

Yes, I did make a formal complaint to Mitsu and this is the deal I bought the Lancer from.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 07:43 PM

Thumbs down

I am only at 25,000km and my tranny is already acting up. Especially when I have it on cruise control. But thanks for the tip on what it may be, it'll give me something to tell the dealership to look at here before I run into the same 100,000km mark u did.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 05:35 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Figure out when it does it the most...when the car is hot, when the car is cold, what speeds, RPM's, and your driving style at the time. Get it down so that you know exactly when it does it. Then duplicate those conditions when you take it to the dealer. I had a problem with my car that only occured when the car was cold and when the outside tempeture was still cool from night. I had one of the service guys take my car out before he opened the doors to the dealer in the morning so that he could mimick the problem.

Murphy's law is a pain in the @ss. Usually the problem stops when you take it in. You may have to go in to the dealer a few times to get them to find the problem. Maybe you will have to be in the car with them (I always do that anyways) or maybe you will have to be the driver.

Hope that helps
Danno