Notices

Evolution 9 admissible in CANADA???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2005, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evolution 9 admissible in CANADA???

Just heard rumors but can any of you guys can confirm this I'm sure a lot of us are waiting for this to happen.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 09:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I have also heard this, I havent seen any actual reports though. Does anyone have any facts on this? I will see if I can dig anything up.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Don't think its real, the evo 9 is basically the evo 8 just with a different bumper and some engine/drivetrain differences, it still won't pass our basic safety tests.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 05:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Aparently a guy from Ottawa (he is pretty creditable) made a few calls and found that it IS asmissable into Canada. Course I dont know that first hand as I didnt make the calls myself and because of that dont nessessarly believe it. Not that it matters to me. Im still stuck paying for my OZ.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 07:55 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

A good friend of mine from the Mitsubishi Industry (DevelsCarRed) Emailed some people and this is what came of it:

Originally Posted by DevelsCarRed
here's the answer to my e-mail from RIV:

Subject: G078235 RE: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 22:32:41 -0500
From: "Ahamad, Selina" <SAhamad@riv.ca> Add to Address Book
To: "Jing Gonzalez" <jinggonz@rogers.com>

Dear Jing,
Thank you for your inquiry.

Thank-you for your recent inquiry. To import a vehicle from the U.S. the vehicle must be cited as admissible on Transport Canada's List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States.

The 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution that you wish to import is INADMISSIBLE according to Transport Canada's List of Admissible Vehicles from the United States. Please refer to this list at http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

When there are no modifications that can be made on the vehicle to comply with the Canadian Safety Standards, that is when, the manufacturer with transport Canada deems a vehicle INADMISSIBLE.

As far as the technical details on it's inadmissibility, please contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Sincerely,

Selina

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 11:22 PM
To: RIV
Subject: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

I work for a Mitsubishi dealership here in Ontario, Canada. Some customers are asking us if they can import a 2006 Mits. Evolution IX to Canada. Is it admissible or inadmissible?

I have noticed in your RIV list that it only covers 2003-2005 Mits. Lancer Evolution.

Thank you in advance for you resonse.

Jing Gonzalez
Brampton Mitsubishi

So, just like what I said before the only Evo that was confirmed by Mitsu HQ and mentioned by the Mitsu Canada president is the up-coming Evo X.

With all this crazy laws, if you're able to plate an Evo IX locally then good for you.

so, sorry to break your hearts!

jing

With that being said it looks like we will be waiting for the Evo 10, like Mitsubishi already stated.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:56 PM

Don't know how true it is, but I found this online

I found a Ontario based website saying that they can sell Evo8 or 9 with all the legal paper, so check this out.

www.myjdpimport.com

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Thanks for bumping a 5 year old thread.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 06:55 PM

i brought an evo9 from california to toronto in 2009 November
Old Apr 18, 2010, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

not true.

buy this instead..

http://semo.craigslist.org/cto/1672654758.html
Old Apr 19, 2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by josel_atr
epic
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:16 AM

Evo's In Canada

Not to be that guy that digs up old threads but I was looking around on the RIV website and found this on their list of inadmissible vehicles. Certainly is not the Evo 1-9 anymore. From what I heard the Evo 8-9 could not be saftey certified in Canada (don't quote me on that) because of the FMI. But from what I read off the RIV website is that all models of DSM cars are allowed provided, 1) there are child tether anchorages, 2) electronic immobilization system installed by the manufacturer, 3) have operational air bags at the time of inspection by the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV), 4) have a VIN composed of between 14 and 17 alphanumeric characters, 5) active and passive restraint system, 6) Daytime Running light that are or can be activated to operate at all time of vehicle motion, 7) the vehicle cannot be started with drivetrain engaged i.e. clutch interlock switch
Attached Thumbnails Evolution 9 admissible in CANADA???-riv-dsm.jpg  
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:20 AM

DeMoNz, I'm jealous of that black MR you have. I wish I could have that sitting in my driveway, guess my RA will have to do for now.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Omfg! Evo IXs are aloud in Canada!!!11!!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 007WRX
Omfg! Evo IXs are aloud in Canada!!!11!!
Eff Yea! time to ditch my scooby and get an Evo!!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Parks
Not to be that guy that digs up old threads but I was looking around on the RIV website and found this on their list of inadmissible vehicles. Certainly is not the Evo 1-9 anymore. From what I heard the Evo 8-9 could not be saftey certified in Canada (don't quote me on that) because of the FMI. But from what I read off the RIV website is that all models of DSM cars are allowed provided, 1) there are child tether anchorages, 2) electronic immobilization system installed by the manufacturer, 3) have operational air bags at the time of inspection by the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV), 4) have a VIN composed of between 14 and 17 alphanumeric characters, 5) active and passive restraint system, 6) Daytime Running light that are or can be activated to operate at all time of vehicle motion, 7) the vehicle cannot be started with drivetrain engaged i.e. clutch interlock switch
there were alot of rumours why the 8-9s couldnt get imported. Front bumper didnt pass safety, and some other things. frankly i think it was all BS. the real reason is probably mitsubishi didnt want the USA evo8-9s to enter the canadian market until the Evo X's starting selling first.

Originally Posted by Parks
DeMoNz, I'm jealous of that black MR you have. I wish I could have that sitting in my driveway, guess my RA will have to do for now.
get one soon! the longer you wait, the higher the mileage. and the harder it is to find a stockish, unmolested evo