Notices

Importing an Evo into Canada (Merged because Dan is such a swell dude)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2004, 09:03 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
apparently (i didnt see it my self) there was a article in a car mag (PAS? maybe?) that mitsubishi wont realease teh evo 9 in canada either because it was too far along developement. and they are waitin g for the 10 now. It didnt seem right to me, so i was wondering if anyone heard or seen this article
Old Jun 6, 2004, 08:53 AM
i45
Evolving Member

Danno man, why! YOU JUST KILLED MY INNER-SPIRT!
Haha, well, for like a few seconds until I read they are "To far along development".

I really think that is a CROCK OF ****. Because we got to remember everyone, that they knew the problems from the 8, what are they going to do forget about it the next day and say ok well lets start this R&D. No way, it would be a stupid business move. For the people who are going to say it's because of financial reasons - its not. Why? Well first lets look the evo 8. They could not spend the money to *re-design* the vehicle. That's the key, redesign. If they start from the beginning I'm sure they can work out the kinks.

Plus, I believe there going to try even more to get this motha into Canada because of there situation - I read here that in a press release that N.A. is more vital than ever, and will always be a big focus for the company. Why go down the 401 when for a little more you can go down the 407? (hehe.) There going to be taking the better way this time.

Plus, I don't see them to far down development at the moment, Canada prepped or not. There still working on the U.S. Release of the MR, plus the 2005 RA's (even though they have minor changes).

All in all, I truly believe we will be seeing the Next Generation EVO.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 09:30 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

well thats kinda what i thought. the person who told me this confused his models and that the 8 wasnt coming but the 9 would. cause they had 3 years to re devolop it. either way the 9 will be ready for the us and rest of the world, just not canada
Old Jun 6, 2004, 02:11 PM
i45
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Danno
either way the 9 will be ready for the us and rest of the world, just not canada
Hm? Sorta lost there? It says that we won't be seeing the 9?
Old Jun 7, 2004, 05:20 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I was saying that no matter what all the current countries that carry the evo 8 will get the 9
Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:25 PM
i45
Evolving Member

Oh tru'
Well we can hope we will be added to that list!
Old Jun 12, 2004, 09:55 AM

Well as I'm looking into buying a 2004 RalliArt (looking like it's gonna happen), I was speaking with one of the reps at the local Mitsu dealership (Vickar in Winnipeg). She was saying that because the EVOVIII was re-engineered for North America, they assumed that the bumper would pass the safety the first go-round. Obviously, as the addage goes, assuming just makes an "***" of "u" and "me".

Well as they've realized they took a large hit by not having it available in Canada for the 2004 model year, there should be an Evolution VIII MR avaliable for the 2005 model year.

Now, please realize that this is a salesperson talking, so take this news with a grain of salt, but for those of you waiting for an Evo might not have much longer before your dreams are realized.

My current financial situation won't improve enough by then for me to afford one, but as we were discussing it, I figured I'd pass along the (hopefully) good news to those of you who wanted to hear it.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 10:02 PM
i45
Evolving Member

Im hopin that they will do this minor R&D for Canadian roads at least with the MR, even though its not likley becase of such an expenisive/powerful base model for Canada, however things can happen!
Old Jun 12, 2004, 10:03 PM
i45
Evolving Member

Oh BTW Danno @ the time of this post ur post count is 666 LoL :P
Old Nov 20, 2004, 02:05 AM

The only Lancer EVO's ive seen in person in Canada were 2 EVO IV's. Both were rally cars though.... Other rally EVOs ive seen in person were an EVO VI, and 3 more EVO VII's, but that was at a rally in colorado last month.

And no, there are NO loopholes to bring an EVO into canada legally. Even including the ones that were imported legally into the USA. I guess we will have to wait till october 2008, in which we will be able to import EVO I's from Japan.....

Damnit.. Canada needs to revise the damn crash test laws.... someone pm paul martin.

Last edited by awddrifter; Nov 20, 2004 at 02:52 AM.
Old May 31, 2005, 12:10 AM

interesting... i thought u can jus drive an evo into canada...
Old May 31, 2005, 06:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

If you have a house in the US where you can register your car to then you can. But you have to go back to the states every 6 Months.
Old May 31, 2005, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, nothing stops you from driving your evo into Canada, that's fully legal. Registering and insuring the car in Canada is a different story.
Old May 31, 2005, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nsnguyen
Yeah, nothing stops you from driving your evo into Canada, that's fully legal. Registering and insuring the car in Canada is a different story.
Not quite true. If you are a Canadian Resident it is against customs regulation to drive a non-Canadian registered car without paying duty or posting a bond on Canadian soil and it makes the vehicle subject to seizure. This is different if you are also a resident where the vehicle is registered but it can still create hassles at the border.

The only legal way (other than being a US resident) at this point to bring an EVO in at this point in time is either on a time-limited permit (eg diplomats, manufacturer) or as a race and off-road vehicle only (cannot be road registered).
Old May 31, 2005, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The IX not coming to Canada really bums me out. And there I would be happy to hand 50 big ones over to

If they only used a small Neon intercooler and a big steel bar and maybe an ugly bumper cover for a CDN version... one could then always retrofit this thing.

All I can say is lobby your MP's to rescind the 8km bumper law for it to conform with rest of North America ... and I don't say that about other policies

Quick Reply: Importing an Evo into Canada (Merged because Dan is such a swell dude)