Notices

Evolutions "Official" Status for Canada

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2003, 03:39 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Evolutions "Official" Status for Canada

Evo-Dan Please post this as a read me so we don't have people going on and on about "When it's coming"

Article is an exerpt from the Toronto Star Wheels Section 7/9/03:

"So what," I can hear you motorsport freaks crying. "What about the Evolution?"

Not available in Canada, I'm sorry to report.

It seems the below-bumper intercooler on this 271 horsepower all-wheel-drive ball of fire sits directly in harm's way for the Canadian front crash test, which is more stringent than that used by the United States.

Pierre Gagnon, president and CEO of Mitsubishi's operations in North America, told me three days ago that he would love to have the Evolution VIII — as it's called in some markets, but not U.S. where it's just plain Evolution — in Canada.

But he said it would be very expensive to re-engineer the current car for the small number of units they'd sell in Canada, and that we'll probably have to wait until the next-generation Lancer arrives.

That schedule isn't cast in stone, but it's probably calendar year 2006 (model year 2007) for the bread-and-butter cars, with the next Evo — Evo IX, anyone? — perhaps coming along several months to a year later.

Last edited by i_love_spool; Aug 9, 2003 at 03:51 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2003, 03:50 PM
Account Disabled

My commentary:

The reason why the Evolution is being kept out of Canada isn't a safety reason....it's a insurance claim reason. The intercooler doesn't pose a safety problem to the occupants of the car, it's just the fact that it gets crushed by the front bumper.

Here's whose to blame:

1) **** the insurance companies in Canada for telling the Canadian government to impose such a stringent and stupid rule. The entire reason for the Evo not coming is the FMIC. The insurance company knows it'll cost major $$$ to repair the Evo if a frontal crash occured and Subaru knew this so made the STI with a TMIC. Blame the Insurance Companies

2) **** the Canadian Government for they're stooooopid rules about FMIC. If it's good enough for the States it's good enough for us. They bow down to the pressure of big business all the time, in this case insurance companies....but when we cry foul over GST or Duty we're told to take a hike.

So essentially anyone who wants to buy a Canadian Evo, don't start saving yet because it's 3 yrs away...and you might as well wait an extra year and just get the Evo IX. Who wants a 3 yr old model anyways?

If you want an Evo VIII, but from the U.S. and bring it up here, be sure to read the post on "Importing the Evo". Although most people are under the opinion that you CAN import it to Canada, I disagree: If MMS won't sell them up here because of the bumper, then I doubt that the Ministry of Transportation will allow you to bring one in with the bumper problem. Otherwise people would be bringing them in like mad right now. No it's NOT on the RIV list, but neither is the Toyota MR-S and it has the same bumper problem minus the intercooler and you can't import them up here, yet they aren't on the list either.

This dampens my feelings about the Evolution, but hey all I have to blame is the insurance companies and the government, can't blame Mitsubishi really, because they already spent millions doing R and D on bringing the Evo 8 up to US spec.

What will I be driving in 2006? Well I have a Z24, a Lancer and a Lexus SC400 (minus the Supra Engine) right now....I'll probably drive the Z24 into the ground, the Lancer is for sale but I'm starting to have second thoughts since this whole Evo thing is official and I might just sell the Lexus if I can't find a Supra engine by the end 2003. I guess I'll probably buy an STI or 350z in 2006, I'll have graduated Law School....but who knows, maybe in 2007 the Evolution IX will catch my fancy and I'll buy it.

It's too bad it has to be this way......just remember what the Government did to your dreams of owning an Evo when it comes time to vote.......I sure will.

No FMIC's on cars, but Gay Marriages are o.k.

Last edited by i_love_spool; Aug 9, 2003 at 03:58 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2003, 04:13 PM
In Timeout

LOL good post :-)
Old Aug 9, 2003, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

I want an evo!! Damn the Canadian Govt And their stupid rules!!

I could, in less than a day make the evo pass that crash test! the mitsu dealers im sure could get someone to produce a bolt on brace for the front bumper to protect the intercooler a bit better. id pay another 1000 or so to Have an Evo!

Last edited by evo_dan; Aug 10, 2003 at 12:31 AM.
Old Aug 9, 2003, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

I've never really been to Canadaland, so I don't know what the whole fuss is aboot.

I'm sorry to hear you guys aren't getting the EVO up there. If it makes you feel any better, I'll never get one - unless I find myself a sugar daddy or win the lottery
Old Aug 9, 2003, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Dont even get me started about insurance companies.
I had a rate of 6k a year.
Thats right. SIX THOUSAND A YEAR.

I *****ed and *****ed until they simply made a phone call and dropped it to <4k.

Granted, i'm a 22 year old guy with an accident (3 years ago) and 1 15km over speeding ticket (2 years ago), but that it only took a phone call to get a better rate is a joke.

Guess I'll have to be an STI owner.

I'm graduating at the end of this year coming up and I wanted to celebrate with an EVO. (no student debt rocks!)

Just one more thing the insurance companies have screwed me over on.
Old Aug 9, 2003, 09:08 PM
Account Disabled

Correction it isn't Canadaland....it's America JR.

Murch: Maybe you and I can hang out, I'll probably opt for an STI as well......can't beat 300hp and AWD

Last edited by evo_dan; Aug 10, 2003 at 12:32 AM.
Old Aug 9, 2003, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

America Jr, ok...........

But I still like Canadaland

Ooooooooooooo I'll call him the Land of Eh

Go Kareem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 10, 2003, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Evolutions "Official" Status for Canada

Originally posted by i_love_spool
Evo-Dan Please post this as a read me so we don't have people going on and on about "When it's coming"
And stick it I shall, just have to clean this thread up a bit first.

On topic though, I'm REALLY bummed out about the Evo not making it here!
Old Aug 10, 2003, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Spool: Yeah mabey we can get some auto-x happening up here for once or something (=
Old Aug 10, 2003, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Murch
Dont even get me started about insurance companies.
I had a rate of 6k a year.
Thats right. SIX THOUSAND A YEAR.
Yeah but isn't $6K CAN like $100 US?
Old Aug 10, 2003, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

hah
not lately. your dollar's dropping faster than..... An evo clutch?

Either that or ours is rising... I dont remember which.

Last edited by Murch; Aug 11, 2003 at 06:25 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 11:43 AM

Petition!

Can't we have petition and write letters to these Goverment ****s about being able to bring this car over? I mean theres at least a few 100,000 car enthusiast in canada that can sign a petition and sway the government. There must be a way and I don't wanna wait.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 05:02 PM

hey it's not canadaland.....not america jr.......it's Canada.....yeah I know a patriotic canadian.....the few....the proud....the few....
But you do know that....soon to come to Canada is the Ralli-art edition of the lancer....I heard it's gonna run at approx 160hp.
And gonna cost from what I can make out it's gonna be 10 000
to 15 000 more and I don't even want to think what the insurance is gonna be.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 07:11 PM

there's an evo 8 at my dealership in winnipeg, going for $50, 000 i think. but i think it's the owner's. Freaking sweet, but not feeling the front end.

Quick Reply: Evolutions "Official" Status for Canada