Notices

Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Help

I told my mom I want a new exhaust system for Christmas but here's my prob.

I know nothin' about it cuz I'm a noob.

All I know is that I want something with a deeper rumble. I really can't stand those high pitched ones most Civics here have. (that's what we call 'fart cans' here)

I don't want anything too noisy, but wanna be heard if I give it some gas (does that make sense?)

My mom said she pretty much refuses to have things shipped in from the US because there's always high customs fees and the exchange rate and such... is there any place where she can just go and buy something?

I think thats it... oh.. it can't be too expensive either!
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by LancerGirl08
I told my mom I want a new exhaust system for Christmas but here's my prob.

I know nothin' about it cuz I'm a noob.

All I know is that I want something with a deeper rumble. I really can't stand those high pitched ones most Civics here have. (that's what we call 'fart cans' here)

I don't want anything too noisy, but wanna be heard if I give it some gas (does that make sense?)

My mom said she pretty much refuses to have things shipped in from the US because there's always high customs fees and the exchange rate and such... is there any place where she can just go and buy something?

I think thats it... oh.. it can't be too expensive either!
1) determine whether you want axleback or cat-back:
i. axleback is muffler and exhaust tip; there are generic mufflers which will bolt onto any car (i.e. magnaflow). Gains are minimal; so all you get is sound pretty much
ii. cat-back includes the mid pipe, so there it comes with a long pipe that is connected to the cat converter to the muffler. You will feel performance gains; as well as sound.

2) determine the make you want. I know greddy has the TI-C, RRM probably has an exhaust. I am not too aware of which companies have exhausts for the 08+ lancers so do some research.
**there are several TLC members with aftermarket exhausts, so the next time you are at a meet ask them to drive / rev their car for you to hear.

3) there are shops which could probably get the exhausts for you, if the shop have an account with the company. realistically you'd probably have to wait a bit.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
If you want deep, Greddy is a good choice. Stay away from the TI-C though because it's very loud. The Evo 2 has a nice sound though and I believe they now have a more street-look version (small flat muffler) as well. Realistically you won't notice any power gains, people always say they do but the dyno results don't lie (ie. there's little to no change). Magnaflow is a good bet as well, as are Borla or even Flowmaster. Something to consider is whether the exhaust drones as well, if you do a lot of highway travel this can be a real problem. If you just want sound and don't plan on doing further mods, just go to an exhaust shop and have a muffler welded on. If you plan on more mods or want to be able to bolt it on yourself (and possibly sell it separately when you sell the car), get an axleback or a catback.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 06:05 PM
Account Disabled

Personally, I'd get the HKS axle back. They tend to be very quiet and have a low deep tone. If you want a flat rate fee feel free to PM me and I can get you a firm quote.

Everything has to come from the US, unless you get a shop to build you something custom. We can also do that if you need! hahaha

Good luck
Old Nov 16, 2008, 06:08 PM

Well, what's the cheapest? LOL

Can't ya just build your own stuff for like under $300 or something?

(told ya... I know nothing!)
Old Nov 16, 2008, 06:12 PM
Account Disabled

Well the first thing you should know is that, you get what you pay for!

Good quality components cost more, they use better quality material, which costs more money, the welds are higher quality (TIG vs MIG), which takes more time and costs more money, there are R&D costs vs. the knock off stuff that doesn't have to R&D anything, and the expertise has a premium on it as well!

So that being said, you can also be overcharged for stuff obviously, I think there is a point when consumers see maximum value for their dollar and thats where you want to be, HKS's Axle back might be a tad high on the price vs. return, but some say quality is remembered long after price is forgotten, imagine 6 months down the road when a knock off muffler hanger cracks off or the packing material blows out and the thing becomes loud and raspy, you're not going to be too happy!
Old Nov 16, 2008, 06:22 PM

Yea that's true... I just know my mom can't afford to spend that kinda money on me when she has 3 other kids to buy for And I'm completely broke right now...

Perhaps this is something I'll have to put on hold until next year.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by LancerGirl08
Yea that's true... I just know my mom can't afford to spend that kinda money on me when she has 3 other kids to buy for And I'm completely broke right now...

Perhaps this is something I'll have to put on hold until next year.
definitely hold it off; theres no point going with something budget when it comes to an exhaust. you will probably spend a few hundred with nothing to show for except a different exhaust note
Old Nov 16, 2008, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

RRM axleback is about 400 after shipping, its a 10 min install
Old Nov 16, 2008, 07:45 PM

So it seems my best bet would be to just save up and buy a really good bolt-on type dealie.

If It'll cost a few hundred for somethin cheap/custom made I might aswell pay another $100 or so and get something good.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

im lookin for an exahaust system too

i thought about it rather than doing just the axle back first

i rather save for the whole catback which will be probably 2-300 dollars more expensive than just the axleback but its better than buying an axle back then buying the cat paying more =P
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
If all you want is sound, save the 300$ and just buy an axleback.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by absolute
im lookin for an exahaust system too

i thought about it rather than doing just the axle back first

i rather save for the whole catback which will be probably 2-300 dollars more expensive than just the axleback but its better than buying an axle back then buying the cat paying more =P
If you want the Magnaflow Cat-Back system let me know.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

yea i'll let u know when im buying one...right now i gotta save money for the coilovers first in the spring
Old Nov 17, 2008, 06:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think its always best to hear before you buy, if you have a good stereo for your computer and subwoofer then I would listen to the video our club made, with stock vs. Evosoul vs. Greddy v1 vs. Works.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=exhaust+sound

The RRM one is missing which is of a Magnaflow core muffer, but it should give you an idea of what kinda sound your into. I am a personal fan of Borla, thats why went I was building an exhaust I tried to find something close to that sound. I didnt use a borla exhaust in the end just because of its cost. its high. But i think they make good stuff