thanks
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hear bridgstone blizzaks are great
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Continental "ContiWinterContact TS790" 205/60R16 on my car and they work awesome. I had blizzaks on my civic last year and I would say they worked pretty much the same. The Blizzaks are the best but they are a bit more $. For me, we don't get as much snow in the Okanagan so I don't need something too pricey. My Continentals cost $106 each from my local and I got the steels for like $60 each. I would probably get the blizzaks if you're in Toronto cause it snows like crazy there.

Last edited by brads09lancerGT; Dec 21, 2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 06:22 AM

I have GoodYear Nordics. They were $104 a piece. I still slid a lil in them but overall they're a pretty good tire for the price.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

I have Gislaved Nordfrost 5. So far I'm happy with them. I paid around 128$ each. Blizzaks are good but run out pretty fast. Best you can get are Nokian Hakkapellitas 5.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

toyos they are amazing
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

The parameters to measure how we like summer tires also apply to winter tires but, in addition to dry and wet, now you also chuck in snow and ice.

What's important to you? Some factors would be... dry acceleration, wet braking, light snow traction, not getting stuck in deep snow, ice traction so that black ice is more manageable?

Since I live in an area where the roads are frequently clear of snow/ice (and my car is not a daily driver and I have ready access to alternate transport), I opt for a winter tire that basically feels like an all-season tire but can handle colder weather and won't burn itself out on those warmer days... the Dunlop WinterSport M3.

If I lived in Whistler, the M3's would be as useless as a fart in a spacesuit. I'd instead go with a recent Hakkapellita iteration... so really, it's all about what is pertinent to your situation.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Billy
The parameters to measure how we like summer tires also apply to winter tires but, in addition to dry and wet, now you also chuck in snow and ice.

What's important to you? Some factors would be... dry acceleration, wet braking, light snow traction, not getting stuck in deep snow, ice traction so that black ice is more manageable?

Since I live in an area where the roads are frequently clear of snow/ice (and my car is not a daily driver and I have ready access to alternate transport), I opt for a winter tire that basically feels like an all-season tire but can handle colder weather and won't burn itself out on those warmer days... the Dunlop WinterSport M3.

If I lived in Whistler, the M3's would be as useless as a fart in a spacesuit. I'd instead go with a recent Hakkapellita iteration... so really, it's all about what is pertinent to your situation.
It's too early in the morning for such big words, eh
Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I have Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25s and I like them, they're not an especially aggressive winter tire but for Calgary weather, they're perfect.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Hankook IPike RC01

paid $425 after tax for all 4 tires…
i’m honestly amazed on how good they are for that price!
dry, wet, snow…awesome
not too loud either
Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:34 PM

What places do you guys recommend buying winters from? I wasn't going to buy some but after experiencing how bad the stocks really are I feel like I'm gonna die everytime I drive.

Also a question cause I have seen this. Can you just get winters for the front tires and leave the back with the stocks? Downfalls to that? Thanx. Oh I'm in GTA.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Tirerack.com, even with all the fees, they're cheaper than any canadian company.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

+1 on tirerack.com if you can't find or don't want to look for them used.

If you're in a border city, find the closest stateside city (ie. Seattle, Buffalo, Champlain, Sweetgrass, etc), ship them there and clear customs yourself.

Also if you have been bit by the modding bug (and some of you got it bad!) but haven't gotten around to suspension yet, keep in mind that today's winter tires may be fine at the mo on stock springs/struts but will be a painfully weak spot on the whole car down the road if you increase your spring rates significantly. I give this advice not to confuse but to share some of my mistakes so that you don't make them.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:20 PM

Mine came from Canadian Tire *shrugs* lol
Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by czapski
What places do you guys recommend buying winters from? I wasn't going to buy some but after experiencing how bad the stocks really are I feel like I'm gonna die everytime I drive.

Also a question cause I have seen this. Can you just get winters for the front tires and leave the back with the stocks? Downfalls to that? Thanx. Oh I'm in GTA.
It is NOT a good idea to replace only the drive tires with winter tires. If you have a FWD and the front tires are really grippy in the snow but the rear ones are stock or summer tires the back end can have the tendency to slide and generally not have very good traction. Breaking traction will also be affected. It can be dangerous. Not to mention it looks cheap.

I just bought 4 Dunlop SP Sport Winter 3D's for my Evo

Quick Reply: winter tires?