Notices

why my GTS is depreciating faster than yours

Old Jun 18, 2009, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^full size
low profile winter tires kind of defeats the purpose of its purpose

i talked with markham mitsu, they said that all tires that u put on your car should have a radius that is within + or - 3% of the specified tire size for your car. I forgot what the code for the GTS rims are, and when they checked the code on my winter tires they said it was within the range, but driving the car i know its definetly not within the range. I trust my GPS and not my own speedometer

Last edited by three29; Jun 18, 2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp
use this site to compare, you're better getting a bigger wheel so you get "less" clicks
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:50 AM

Lightbulb what about warrentee? It is expiring much faster too !

What about the warrantee? Your warrantee will also expire ahead if time, my car has the proper performance size perrelli's and it has a 3 mph difference between GPS and cars reading. Is this a tire issue or a screw the consumer issue. By my understanding miles per hour are based on distance and time to travel it . Since we can't time travel we have to drive to places and with this speedometer reading we are getting there after are cars are? Anyone else with the right tires and the wrong speed reading on thier speedometer? Seems like a conspiracy! Another way to beat the hard working consumers!

Originally Posted by three29
im sure most of you here already know this already, and really this is just a musing about why my car is depreciating and theres nothing i can do about it..

As you all know, GTS comes with 18 inch "performance all-season" tires (which of course is bs bcus anyone with a GTS knows that these stock dunlops are a deathwish if u choose to drive them in canadian winters, which i learned the hard way. anyone that has any appreciation for winter driving knows that you have to get winter tires for your gts, there is no way around it.

I know that there are performance 18 inch winter tires out there, but from what i hear you want a "taller" sidewall on your tires, and the only way you can get that is to switch to 17 inch rims (of course i may be wrong, im not exactly a car expert..) but what I began to realize over time was that, there is a difference in wheel diameter between my stock 18 inch tires, and my 17 inch winter tires. I knew that it would make a slight difference in my speedometer, since im assuming all cars calibrate their speedometer based on their stock wheel diameters.

What i didnt realize until boxing day (which was when i bought a garmin gps) was the magnitude of that difference~ if anyone out there right now is on 17 inch winter tires and has a GTS but no gps to tell you how fast you are going, i can tell you that when you drive at 120kmh according to your car, you are actually moving at about 110, of course, this difference increases as you go faster, and diminishes as you go to a slower speed (eg. i need to drive at around 43-45 to reach an actual speed of 40)

I realized this all the hard way, because before i got my gps i was getting to new places using google maps, and it was confusing me why the distances never made any sense. Google maps tells me to drive 60 km then turn right to highway 6, but im well over 90km on my pedometer before i even see a road sign that has hwy 6 on it.

After being 2 hours late for an interview and buying my gps, i finally realize that my winter tires are depreciating my car. What normally takes me ~90km to drive from toronto to waterloo, my car assumes it takes me 130km. building up over time, this essentially meas eventually even though i drove the car 90k, the car will read 130k =(

so anyways, the lesson to learn is that if you own a gts and u have 17inch tires, get a gps, and switch them asap when winter ends~