Notices

Car accident checklist - what should one do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2009, 05:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car accident checklist - what should one do?

This could be found on google but I just wanted to make a discussion so that I would be prepared and ask questions. I've never been into a accident at all, its just I'm dealing with a problem at home and would like to understand the procedures a bit more. Something they should teach at driving school I think.

File a Car Accident Report with the Police
Should I call the police even if there is no one injured? Or can we just pull up into a empty parking lot and discuss it? I was wondering if I need someone there on the scene to prove who ever is at fault.

But pulling out of the parking lot? Isn't it like removing yourself from the scene of an accident and possibly the other guy can change his story?

Insurance
Do I call them at the scene of the accident, or can it be right after the accident?

Details of the drivers/cars
So i need to take down his/hers
- VIN
- Name and Drivers License
- Insurance policy

No insurance under the policy
What if its his/hers dad's car and isn't under the cars insurance policy. Do I call police then?

No insurance AT ALL
This is where i call the cops for sure?

evidence
immediately can i pull up my iphone and start taking a picture of the accident scene AND the other driver? Or is that illegal to take pictures without their consent?
Old Jul 24, 2009, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

i would pull aside and talk with them first before going through insurance or police , and if they arnt insured id forsure call the police cuz then your gonna get stuck paying for it all if they leave , but if they arnt insured the chances they are going to stop is slim most will just take off

if its something more serious is most likely someone else has already called the police , in my situation i never had a chance , by the time i got out of my car i already seen the lights
Old Jul 24, 2009, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

another thing i was told by my broker is to call his cell if i get in a accident and dont say anything to anyone till i talk to him first
Old Jul 31, 2009, 05:37 PM

if it wasnt your fault,the first thing you do is to get a witness.

they come and go the fastest, not a big window of opportunity to get one.

also if they are stupid get a written statement from them admitting that its their fault