Notices

Why I feel safe in Vancouver, CA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why I feel safe in Vancouver, CA

Without this PSA people could be walking around with Nuclear weapons!

Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol, I am packing my bags right now and moving west from Toronto lol
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

where did you find that ryan?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

I have one in my hometown outside in Illinois... there are morons all over the globe.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by josel_atr
where did you find that ryan?
That was sent to me by a friend on Vacation to the great white north about 3 years ago. Been sitting on a gold mine of quality images but without internets at home they take quite a while to migrate to the internets....
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know about the claim. Vancouver is very close to the USA and I am sure near the border there are for certain USA Nuke silos still in the ground. Plus USA Nuke Subs of the coast. lol how big of a zone are we talking about here lol
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:34 PM
Account Disabled

Berkeley, CA has those signs as well....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear-free_zone

Canada

Vancouver is a nuclear weapons free city. Victoria, British Columbia also is nuclear weapons free city. This has caused problems as nearby Esquimalt houses CFB Esquimalt, Canada's Pacific naval base and is used frequently by the United States Navy. The USN routinely sends ships or aircraft carriers loaded with nuclear weapons to Esquimalt. As a result, the ships are forced to dock out of the city limits as not to violate the city by-laws. Kitimat, British Columbia; Red Deer, Alberta, and Regina, Saskatchewan are also nuclear weapons-free cities.

Another well-known nuclear-free community is Berkeley, California, whose citizens passed the Nuclear Free Berkeley Act in 1986 which allows the city to levy fines for nuclear weapons-related activity and to boycott companies involved in the United States nuclear infrastructure. The City of Berkeley has posted signs at each of its borders proclaiming its nuclear free status, which specifies possible fines for such activities within its borders. However, the University of California, Berkeley is deeply involved in the history of nuclear weapons, and the University of California system until recently managed operations at Los Alamos National Laboratory, a U.S. nuclear weapons design laboratory, and continues to manage the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. As well, at the time of the passage of the act, the University operated a nuclear reactor for research purposes, which it continued to operate after the act went into effect. However, The University of California, as a state institution, is not subject to Berkeley's municipal regulations (including the ban). Berkeley also has major freeway and train lines which are used in transporting nuclear materials.

- Bryan

Last edited by GST Motorsports; Mar 31, 2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
I dont know about the claim. Vancouver is very close to the USA and I am sure near the border there are for certain USA Nuke silos still in the ground. Plus USA Nuke Subs of the coast. lol how big of a zone are we talking about here lol
I couldnt find a link to the source document, but back in about 2002-2003 there was an article that came out where if Washington state was its own country it would be the 11th largest nuclear power in the world.

WA has the ability to produce weapons grade plutonium, and with Bangor nuclear sub base, plus the afore mentioned silos at the border pointing towards Canada, we're pretty bad-***!

Berserkly can have as many signs as they want, every resident there is bordering on bat-**** crazy (I keed)
Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:06 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Ryan.Kauz

Berserkly can have as many signs as they want, every resident there is bordering on bat-**** crazy (I keed)
Yup you are pretty much correct with that statement. They don't call it Berzerkeley for nothing.

- Bryan
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

There is a similar sign in Vancouver on Granview right past Boundary right after you exit the highway
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

I had no idea!