Notices

Shifting the evo x gsr??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting the evo x gsr??

I traded in my 07 eclipse gt 6mt for a 2010 evo x gsr. I really miss that punch off the line and massive gobs of torque even at low rpms that my eclipse had. I find the evo very slow to get moving and when it does start to spool up it seems to be very short lived. I find the evo difficult to shift smoothly. I grinded the gears more times in one day with the evo than 3 years in my Eclipse. I also seem to bog a little after shifting into the next gear. Turbo lag? Is there a way to keep boost up when shifting? I almost feel like I regret trading my Eclipse for the Evo. In time I hope to learn to love my Evo. This is my first turbo car so it's a hard transition coming from a torquey 3.8 liter v6. I think a few tweaks might change things.

Last edited by speeddemon74; Jul 17, 2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Was too long and I feel stupid now!
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

Wow..
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
drive it here, and ill give you my eclipse GS 1 to 1 straight up trade
Old Jul 11, 2010, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

I assume your are joking. But on the off chance you are serious, sell the car... you don't deserve it.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 06:12 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sun_ice4
I assume your are joking. But on the off chance you are serious, sell the car... you don't deserve it.
C'mon. The guys seems sincere and he's asking for help. Perhaps there's someone in his area who could show him a better way to row the gearbox.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 03:25 PM

you are comparing a NA V6 3.8L to a 2.0L Turbo...and you say the turbo doesnt have the bottom end? you already answered your own question there.

stock X isnt that fast yes, but dollar for HP gain on an Evo X beats the eclipse GT out right.

get a boost controller, exhaust, intake + IC pipes, retune, and you will never compare your Evo to an Eclipse in a negative way EVER again.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

you will figure it out.. just drive it a lot and try different techniques till you figure it all out
Old Jul 11, 2010, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
This is a real mans car, forget everything you learned driving that chick car 4G Eclipse. Learn to drive it, finish breaking it in, get it tuned, and install a short-shifter with all related shifter bushings and good fluid.

If you regret it though, sell it to someone who will appreciate it more.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
C'mon. The guys seems sincere and he's asking for help...

Alright.. I retract that. A little harsh.

If you are really that concerned about it, give it some time. You even said it yourself… the “hype these cars get is unreal”. The hype is for good reason.

I have owned/driven a variety of high end sports cars, but the most enjoyable, bang for the buck car is my GSR. Sure, there are faster cars, some even handle better, but nothing offers as much as the X in it’s price range. And don’t forget style… god it’s sexy!

Spend more time with it, you will love it.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Go to a performance driving school and learn how to drive a manual.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:05 PM

Thanks for your input guys. I appreciate it all, even the negative stuff; it's all good! I just think like alot of you said, i need to spend more time in it to really learn to drive it right. I think it's a huge difference going from an na torquey car to a turbo car. I am used to mashing the gas and, voila, instant get up and go! The turbo lag is something I have never experienced. Some customizing might help i am sure. Just out of curiosity, do these cars pull strong to redline or is there a certain optimum shift point? I decided that I am gonna keep the car, I am sure I will learn to love it. Does anyone know a good place to buy performance parts in Canada? Thanks again.

Last edited by speeddemon74; Jul 11, 2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask something
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:03 PM

I have to say, the evo is very different from any other manual car I have driven. After almost a week I am doing much better. This car almost seems to shift itself! I feel kinda stupid now, but it was kinda frustrating at first adjusting from the soft long travel clutch in my eclipse. This evo hits hard but loses steam rather quickly after 5000 rpms or so. Bummer. Fortunately, a turboback, intake and a tune changes that SIGNIFICANTLY. A salesman at my dealership who also owns an evo gsr has these mods and it's like a totally different animal. Wow. Pulls hard right to redline.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:04 PM

I agree with the other guy who showed you the difference between a Honkin 3.8L North American V6 over a japanese 2.0L Milkbox sized Turbo engine...but yeah the EVO might not be the Torque`iest vehicle out there, but they do outperform the **** out of alot of vehicles out there.

the gearbox grind is because your used to the Eclipse Slushy system, where the EVO has a Shorter throw and you arent used to the Turbo/turbo lag. Just hang in there and try to rev match and actually enjoy your vehicle. EVO X`s are`nt to be taken lightly. If you want the raw power and kick, consider some modifications.

Goodluck!